New Computer Built nothing displaying on the monitor

Mbeav11

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Hello, I just finished building a new budget computer. AMD Athlon 2 x3 processor, MSI 760GM-P21 FX motherboard and a gigabyte HD6770 graphics card.

I believe everything was install correctly as this is my second time building a pc but with different parts. The computer turns on, fans all power up, case LED lights up but it isn't bringing up the BIOS on my screen. In fact nothing is being displayed on the monitor. I have tried 2 seperate monitors both of which I know work fine. Anyone able to lend some advice?

That motherboard has a built-in graphics adapter. You have to disable it in the BIOS, or the machine will default to that instead of recognizing the 6770. So in other words, if your monitor is plugged into the 6770, you'll see nothing, not even the BIOS.

Simple way to check whether this is the problem: Plug the monitor into the onboard video port. If you get a picture - go into the BIOS from there, disable the onboard video adapter, power off, plug the monitor into the video card now, and turn back on. You should have a picture.

you've got it backwards. if a card is in the onboard is automatically disabled. If you're connected to the motherboard you need to be plugged into the card. Of course its possible they roally screwed up the BIOS so if you're already connected to the card try the board, but that's not how its SUPPOSED to work.

Some motherboards are SUPPOSED to have the auto-detect feature, but in my experience it doesn't work very well, and just as often you're left doing this.

The newer motherboards for CPUs that have their own on-chip graphics - FM1, 1155, etc. - seem to have finally gotten it right. But the previous generation and earlier (which is what this one is), good luck.

Whichever one of us turns out to be right - to the OP, diagnosing this should be pretty straightforward. Plug the monitor into the opposite port from where it is now. If you get a signal, take note of it, and you've found the problem. If you still get no signal, then you've got other problems.

galeener

Distinguished
Just to simplify this take the Monitor plug and try both the onboard connector then try the 6770 connector.
If you see something this way and its when plugged into the onboard the auto detect isnt working and you have to go into bios and disable the on board video. Then try again with the 6770. If it still doesnt work . swap back to the onboard you may have a bad video card or you havnt plugged the power into the 6770.

G

Remove the graphic card and try to switch on the system. i bet u have done that. In bios default jumper setting for video source selection is generally set to auto. (Unless u have tinkered with that). (auto = 1st preference is always graphic card if present). Try starting ur pc with bare minimum number of hardware. if, it starts go on gradually adding more hardware till u face the said problem again. Also, check all ur cables and also ur smps. I remember this guy, his new system use to restart or crash randomly. He consulted everyone and even the hardware ppl found no problem. One day he accidentally changed his hard disk sata connector and suddenly all his problems vanished .