jb62

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Has any one with an XPS 8500 replaced their stock PSU with a higher wattage PSU and if so with which PSU did you go with? I am not an expert in this area but the info I have gotten so far suggests that too much of a PSU will cause over heating within the case, so I want to prevent that. When I read of others mentioning in posts about how their cases are maintaining a certain temp, what are they using to measure the temp with?
My goal is to run a GTX 570 and I believe I need a 500-600w PSU for that. My system is a new one:

Quad i7 processor Ivy bridge
stock 460w PSU
1 TB hard drive
1 optical drive

I have been to a few sites that calculate the needed PSU for your goals but I found them to be mostly conflicting with each other, some saying that a 500w would be fine and others saying I need 750w PSU, so any one who owns the XPS 8500 and has done the PSU upgrade I would appreciate hearing from you. I am looking at this particular PSU to place in the XPS 8500:

PC Power and Cooling PPCS500D NEW Power Supply Upgrade FSP600-80GHN

Solution

Thanks. Mine does not have the manufacturer name on it, but its that same E131881 as in your photo...so it looks like I've got a Delta along with my little family of Seasonics.

OP -- if you have the same psu, you're fine with a gtx570. It uses the same 2 6-pins as the 560 448 and the power supply has those.

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
I have the previous generation 8300 with 2600k and run a 560 448 (very similar to a 570) off the stock 460w psu. The system never draws more than 300w from the wall (so maybe 260w from the psu). Dell uses good psus, though I can't find out who actually makes the ones in the XPS machines. The psu calculators all overstate the needs because so many psus don't output what they say they will.

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well I believe a 650W PSU would work lovely. Try on corsair's gaming series. GS series for gaming or TX series for hardcore gaming (the final choice depends on your needs). A good PSU will also be a warranty for future upgrades.
The problem with choosing a lower wattage psu is that it may cover up your power needs but it might be useless in terms of connectivity (i.e. some psu's have less connections as wattage capability decreases - you can use molex connections on the other hand).

P.S.1. A GTX570 requires TWO 6-pin power connection cables to power it up.

P.S.2. Temperature can be measured using temperature monitoring gadgets. You can buy as an extra part or in some cases they come with your case.

Hope this helps!

Some of them have the makers name on them
460DB4A.png

if not, you can google the E code under the UL logo

ul-logo.gif

Temile

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks. Mine does not have the manufacturer name on it, but its that same E131881 as in your photo...so it looks like I've got a Delta along with my little family of Seasonics.

OP -- if you have the same psu, you're fine with a gtx570. It uses the same 2 6-pins as the 560 448 and the power supply has those.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS