Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Connecting to monitor with crossfire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 11:07:57 AM

Hi all
I have just completed my first self-build, using the ASUS F1-A75-M motherboard with AMD A8-3870K CPU, to which I have added an AMD Radeon HD6450 GPU (using the motherboard's dedicated crossfire PCI-Express slot). Should I now connect the monitor using the GPU's DVI connector, or should I use the motherboard's connector, or doesn't it make any difference? Many thanks.

Best solution

a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2012 11:24:00 AM

I think it should be connected to the motherboard because technically it's the primary display device.But if that doesn't work try the GPU instead.Can't do any harm.

What's funny tho is that the APU is stronger than the GPU.Usually it's the other way around.
January 30, 2012 1:52:00 PM

Many thanks purple . You're right about the APU (integrated AMD HD 6550) v. GPU (AMD HD 6450), but adding the cheapo 6450 in crossfire with this specific processor increases the games fps rate from 35fps to 52fps. Regards, Mike.
Score
Related resources
a c 214 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
January 30, 2012 2:36:17 PM

It was just strange to me because I hadn't thought of using it like that.

How you tried any of the things I suggested above? Anything different?
Score
January 31, 2012 3:01:13 PM

purple stank said:
It was just strange to me because I hadn't thought of using it like that.

How you tried any of the things I suggested above? Anything different?

Hi purple - I have delayed running the PC because I noticed that immediately following start up, the processor temp climbs rapidly into the mid 50's and stays there. I'm going to re-seat the heat sink with new paste (there was some pre-applied, but only enough for about half the surface area of the processor - all the cooling fans are working normally though). I'll post an update ASAP. Regards.
Score
February 2, 2012 11:03:22 AM

Hi purple - reseated the heat sink (CPU still running at 50 degrees though). Anyway, with GPU installed in crossfire slot, only the GPU monitor output works, and only pushing out the GPU's graphics (i.e. not combining in crossfire with the CPU's integrated graphics). Disconnecting the GPU, and the motherboards' monitor output works. There must be something more needed to get the two GPU's to work in crossfire, so have fired off an email to ASUS technical support. Regards.
Score
February 9, 2012 2:32:11 PM

Best answer selected by mike derr.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b V Motherboard
a b C Monitor
February 9, 2012 3:28:02 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!