Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Does anyone know what the "mini*" files (found in the X:\windows\minidump directory) are for in WinXP? I keep getting an error just after Windows loads up that refers to one of these files... I found no help on Uncle Bill's website...

Thanks,
Ret

GokuFurinji

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2001
The minidump files are created when windows halts the system due to a severe application crash, they contain useful debugging info about the application that crashed, and possibly info to help find the reason why it crashed!

You can either debug them yourself using dumpchk.exe or contact Microsoft support who may request them so they can analyse them, either way you really need to be a systems programmer to fully understand them!

Retruglot

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Thanks a lot...
So if I do the debug thing (cuz I've got nothing from Microsoft), will I be able to determine what program is causing the error? The problem is occuring more frequently... and I'm starting to get the blue screen memory dump more often...

Ret

PS
I just tried the dumpchk.exe in "run" and it says it cannot find it? Searched for it (including hidden files) and got no results...?