how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the game
looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3

Supra(Dude) wrote:
> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the
game
> looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3

I'll be getting it on day one. It's shaping up to be the most
realistic console racer yet.

Supra(Dude) wrote:
> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the
> game looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out
> may 3

Yeah, it's like a Gran Turismo except if they had added new features
to it, instead of just improving the graphics and adding more
Skylines.

On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game. 30
FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?

i know same here

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> Supra(Dude) wrote:
>> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the
> game
>> looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3
>
> I'll be getting it on day one. It's shaping up to be the most
> realistic console racer yet.

I will be getting it, mostly because it has a lot of potential to be GT4
like in most respects, and not your usual arcadish console racer. However, I
really found the graphics in the demo version to be adequate but inferior to
GT4's graphics, poorer generic looking lighting and lack of photorealism by
comparison. The cars handling also seemed in need of some substantial
tweaking to feel realistic.I hope it turns out to be much better than the
demo , but I have learned from past experiences that things usually are
never as good as hoped for.
"Supra(Dude)" <b-Rad@suscom.net> wrote in message
> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the game
> looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Supra(Dude) wrote:

> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the
> game looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out
> may 3

I've played the demo and I agree it feels/plays great!

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Supra(Dude) wrote:
> > > how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and
the
> > > game looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes
out
> > > may 3
> >
> > Yeah, it's like a Gran Turismo except if they had added new
features
> > to it, instead of just improving the graphics and adding more
> > Skylines.
> >
> > On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game.
30
> > FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?
>
> 30fps and average graphics?
> Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions /
reviews of
> the game before I throw down my coin.

The graphics are anything but average. People like to compare it to
GT4 but it was already miles ahead of GT4's final build even when
itself was only in beta form. Heck, GT4 doesn't even look better than
TOCA or even PGR2 IMO.

There was a comparison video (GT4 vs Forza on Laguna Seca) floating
around somewhere on gamefaqs that I'm trying to track down and post
here. In the mean time here is some video of just Forza running.
Personally it looks very impressive.

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=457

Robert P Holley wrote:
> Boody Bandit wrote:
> > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> the
> out
> > >
> > > Yeah, it's like a Gran Turismo except if they had added new
> features
> > > to it, instead of just improving the graphics and adding more
> > > Skylines.
> > >
> > > On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game.
> 30
> > > FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?
> >
> > 30fps and average graphics?
> > Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions /
> reviews of
> > the game before I throw down my coin.
>
> The graphics are anything but average. People like to compare it to
> GT4 but it was already miles ahead of GT4's final build even when
> itself was only in beta form. Heck, GT4 doesn't even look better
than
> TOCA or even PGR2 IMO.
>
> There was a comparison video (GT4 vs Forza on Laguna Seca) floating
> around somewhere on gamefaqs that I'm trying to track down and post
> here. In the mean time here is some video of just Forza running.
> Personally it looks very impressive.
>
> http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=457

This isn't the running video I was talking about, but it's a comparison
page of snap shots between the two games.

http://www.forzacentral.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12

BTW, the Forza images are on the *right* and the GT4 images are on the
*left* (even tho the subtitles read: Forza vs GT4)

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Boody Bandit wrote:
> > > "Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > the
> > out

> > features

> > 30
> > >
> > > 30fps and average graphics?
> > > Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions /
> > reviews of
> > > the game before I throw down my coin.
> >
> > The graphics are anything but average. People like to compare it
> > GT4 but it was already miles ahead of GT4's final build even when
> > itself was only in beta form. Heck, GT4 doesn't even look better
than
> > TOCA or even PGR2 IMO.
> >
> > There was a comparison video (GT4 vs Forza on Laguna Seca) floating
> > around somewhere on gamefaqs that I'm trying to track down and post
> > here. In the mean time here is some video of just Forza running.
> > Personally it looks very impressive.
> >
> > http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=457
>
> Do you know of any other trailers / videos?
> The game looks very solid in those vids

I found the best source of vids for the game to be at
www.forzacentral.com

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Robert P Holley wrote:
> > and
> > > the
> > > out

> > > features

> > > 30

> > > reviews of
> > >
> > > The graphics are anything but average. People like to compare it
> > > GT4 but it was already miles ahead of GT4's final build even when
> > > itself was only in beta form. Heck, GT4 doesn't even look better
> > than
> > > TOCA or even PGR2 IMO.
> > >
> > > There was a comparison video (GT4 vs Forza on Laguna Seca)
floating
> > > around somewhere on gamefaqs that I'm trying to track down and
post
> > > here. In the mean time here is some video of just Forza running.
> > > Personally it looks very impressive.
> > >
> > > http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=457
> >
> > This isn't the running video I was talking about, but it's a
comparison
> > page of snap shots between the two games.
> >
> > http://www.forzacentral.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12
> >
> > BTW, the Forza images are on the *right* and the GT4 images are on
the
> > *left* (even tho the subtitles read: Forza vs GT4)
>
> Ok, now if those pictures are not doctored in anyway, Forza is
definitely
> the clear cut winner in detail over GT4.

I've played GT4 myself, so I can vouch and say that's what the game
looks like more or less. In motion it looks worse because it suffers
greatly from aliasing (even in 1080i & 480p). The weird thing is, GT4
looks better in 480p than it does in 1080i.

Anyway, I did find one comparision video but you have to be an IGN
insider. I'm not, so I haven't even seen the video below.

http://insider.ign.com/videos/articles/606/606044p1.html

"Supra(Dude)" <b-Rad@suscom.net> wrote in message
> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the game
> looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3

It's a must have game for any X-Box owner, I think short of Halo2 this will
be the next best selling title on X-Box.

> [...]

> > itself was only in beta form. Heck, GT4 doesn't even look better
> than
> > TOCA or even PGR2 IMO.
> >
> > There was a comparison video (GT4 vs Forza on Laguna Seca) floating
> > around somewhere on gamefaqs that I'm trying to track down and post
> > here. In the mean time here is some video of just Forza running.
> > Personally it looks very impressive.
> >
> > http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=457
>
> This isn't the running video I was talking about, but it's a comparison
> page of snap shots between the two games.
>
> http://www.forzacentral.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12
>
> BTW, the Forza images are on the *right* and the GT4 images are on the
> *left* (even tho the subtitles read: Forza vs GT4)

Ok, now if those pictures are not doctored in anyway, Forza is definitely
the clear cut winner in detail over GT4.

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <1114700146.640939.206930@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

>This isn't the running video I was talking about, but it's a comparison
>page of snap shots between the two games.
>
>http://www.forzacentral.com/gallery/browseimages.php?c=12
>
>BTW, the Forza images are on the *right* and the GT4 images are on the
>*left* (even tho the subtitles read: Forza vs GT4)

From these still shots, its a slam dunk in favor of Forza.
Forza has a lot more detail, less jaggies, presumably more
polygons(?). But in playing both (Forza demo vs GT4, same cars
and track) ) it is less clear. Conversely to the thoughts of a
lessens the difference. And Polyphony is still the master of
lighting and replay angles and making the best of that console's
lesser technology. It still looks damned good!

Anyway, both are good enough for me such that they are must haves.
Ditto on the physics. Always room on my shelf for one more
excellent racing game. Plus they add Ferrari and Porsche to the
menu!

Robert P Holley wrote:

> Jim S. wrote:
> > Looks like no car damage modeled. Hmm.
>
> There's definitely a damage model. Here is a FAQ about the game:
>
> http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756
>
> And some photo's of the damage.
>
> http://norm302.forzacentral.com/photos_damage.html

Hmm. Great news. I watched the side-by-side clip on that IGN link you
posted and there did not seem to be any. Thanks for the heads-up,
Robert.
--
Jim S.

Jim S. wrote:
> Robert P Holley wrote:
>
> > Jim S. wrote:
> > > Looks like no car damage modeled. Hmm.
> >
> > There's definitely a damage model. Here is a FAQ about the game:
> >
> > http://www.forzacentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=756
> >
> > And some photo's of the damage.
> >
> > http://norm302.forzacentral.com/photos_damage.html
>
> Hmm. Great news. I watched the side-by-side clip on that IGN link
you
> posted and there did not seem to be any. Thanks for the heads-up,
> Robert.

No problem. It's certainly shaping up to be a winner IMHO.

Dave wrote:

> From these still shots, its a slam dunk in favor of Forza.
> Forza has a lot more detail, less jaggies, presumably more
> polygons(?). But in playing both (Forza demo vs GT4, same cars
> and track) ) it is less clear. Conversely to the thoughts of a
> lessens the difference. And Polyphony is still the master of
> lighting and replay angles and making the best of that console's
> lesser technology. It still looks damned good!
>
> Anyway, both are good enough for me such that they are must haves.
> Ditto on the physics. Always room on my shelf for one more
> excellent racing game. Plus they add Ferrari and Porsche to the
> menu!

To me, the fact that Ferrari and Porsche are in Forza's lineup makes
its carlist far superior to GT4's. I wish GT4 would have concentrated
more on European exotics than giving tens of variations of some $25,000
Japanese cars. Someone may claim that the RUFs are basically Porsches,
but they do not look like stock Porsches, and the newest RUF in GT4 is
4 years old. I also think that the RUF modifications detracted a bit
from the look of stock Porsches.

Graphically, GT4 looks nice in replays and when you're watching someone
play. I personally think that GT4's graphics are terrible when one's
actually playing it. Both my friend and I had a hard time seeing
whether we're making a left or right turn in the distance. I think
part of the reason is that they're cheating on detail in the far
distance to keep up the framerate. Also, cars look more realistic in
GT4 than in other games, but that's because the GT4 developers use very
dark shadowing to make things look more real. Darkness is typically
used with CG effects in movies to make things look more realistic. In
my opinion, the shadowing in GT4 is very unrealistic if you compare it
to the real world. The shadowing in GT4 is much darker than what you
see in the real world. Lots of times, you can't even seen the details
on the back of a car in broad daylight. I respect all the amount of
material in GT4, but it's far from a perfect racer in my opinion.

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:19:21 -0400, "Boody Bandit"
<boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game. 30
>> FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?
>
>30fps and average graphics?
>Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions / reviews of
>the game before I throw down my coin.

Am I missing something? Why is 30fps a downside on a game played on
TV's? NTSC is only 30fps... I'm unclear on whether HDTV is ever
really 60 "complete" frames per second. 1080i is only 30 effective
fps... are 480p and 720p 60 real fps, or do they just upsample from 30
to have a lowest common denomenator?

there is a nice article in this months popular science mag it has a
actual race car driver playing the game and i think a developer of the
game go head to head in the game with certain cars and they go head to
head on the race track in the same cars you should give it a read it is
a very interesting and it might surprise you on what the race car driver
had to say about this game

theone

Supra(Dude) wrote:
> how many people are getting this game? i seen the commercial and the game
> looks kick-ass. I have it on reserve at gamestop, it comes out may 3

I have to say, this game is SHWWWEEEETTT! A friend of mine who works at
a certain EB Games was gracious enuff to allow me to play it. Since I
have lost all touch with the GT series since GT 1 and 2 on the PS1, this
is a nice welcome back on the Xbox. The multi- levels of customization
are all there (parts, dampening, tire pressure, suspension etc.) and one
of those coolest things is that you can run an auto benchmark that test
the results of your tweaking in figures, a bonus for a non-mechanic type
such as myself. As well, you can change the color, rims, body effects
custom logos/paint jobs and all that good stuff as well.

In career mode, you start off with picking a continent (Asia, Europe, or
N. America) which pretty much makes up what types are cars you will be
driving, and how cheap they'll be as opposed to imported models. The
game gives you about 20,000 credits or so to start out with so you buy a
cheap car (Silvia :), fix it up, win a few races and get a new car. The
neat thing is pretty soon, cars start flowing in. Not only do you win
cars for placing gold on races but you also recieve cars from companies
on the side (i.e. Pontiac just sent me a GTO) and discounts on auto
parts (toyo tires: 10% off). There are also some neat Xbox live
functions as well. I guess you can sell your car to people on live as
opposed to the shop in the game and receive much less depreciation. SO
MANY CARS to pick from.

Another nice feature is good damage modeling. While playing arcade, I
didn't really see the damage take any effect, other than aesthetics, but
while doing career mode, my car really started handling real bad after a
couple of swings into the wall; causing oversteer to the left and right
depending on damage.

CONS:
Perhaps I pumped this game up to high in my head, and IMHO, it’s a great
game but the terrain mapping looks artificial and sub par at some points
(try the arcade tracks and you'll see). Also there was a little too many
jaggies on the car as well. Maybe cuz I'm on a 43",interlaced, and S
Video. Dunno but it just seemed the half an hour I spent playing GT4 on
a friend's wega, that GT4 models/textures looked better. That being
said, its defintely worth plunking down the change for. Great Game!

theone

The Other John wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:19:21 -0400, "Boody Bandit"
> <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game. 30
>>>FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?
>>
>>30fps and average graphics?
>>Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions / reviews of
>>the game before I throw down my coin.
>>

> Am I missing something? Why is 30fps a downside on a game played on
> TV's? NTSC is only 30fps... I'm unclear on whether HDTV is ever
> really 60 "complete" frames per second. 1080i is only 30 effective
> fps... are 480p and 720p 60 real fps, or do they just upsample from 30
> to have a lowest common denomenator?

I found a nice little thread to answer you question. I guess the short
answer is yes, 720p is 60fps. 1 full frame every 1/60 of a second as
opposed to every other.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/2/6860.html

theone

The Other John wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 09:19:21 -0400, "Boody Bandit"
> <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Jeremy Reaban" <trancejeremy@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>On the downside, the graphics seem awfully poor for an Xbox game. 30
>>>FPS, no hood view? Did EA program it or something?
>>
>>30fps and average graphics?
>>Yup, I'm holding off to see professional and person opinions / reviews of
>>the game before I throw down my coin.
>>

> Am I missing something? Why is 30fps a downside on a game played on
> TV's? NTSC is only 30fps... I'm unclear on whether HDTV is ever
> really 60 "complete" frames per second. 1080i is only 30 effective
> fps... are 480p and 720p 60 real fps, or do they just upsample from 30
> to have a lowest common denomenator?

IMHO and unrelated, I think High def on the box is a novelty at best,
seemingly always causing some issue or another beyond 480p. I'll be
buying my HD next spring :)