DDR Memory, Where to get it? (CAS2)

G

I've decited it's time to build a new computer and so I want to go with a DDR mobo. After looking at the VIA ddr chipset I think I'll be going with the AMD760. I decited on the Biostar motherboard. My huge problem is I can't find anyplace to purchase PC 2100 DDR CAS2 ram. Plenty of places sell the CAS2.5 modules but I can't find CAS2 anywhere. Here at Tom's Hadware they use CAS2 so I figured it'd be a good idea to follow suit. If anyone has any idea where I can order this memory I'd be much apperciated. Also Any comments on my choice of motherboard is greatly appericated

PS. Going for the 1.33GHz

PPS. Yes I know great new stuff is around the corner if I want. BUT I WANT IT NOW!!!! ;)

G

Most CAS 2.5 DDR DIMM's can easily run at CAS2, I'd just go with them.

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
At this point in time there's a real lack of PC2100 CAS2 memory. The ratings are set on memory by doing testing. If the RAM fails the CAS2 test it's tested as CAS2.5. If it fails CAS2.5, it's tested as CAS3. If it fails CAS3 it's thrown out. Because there's a lack of PC2100 CAS2 in the marketplace, noone is voluntarily 'underclocking' CAS2 as CAS2.5 to increase lower-cost RAM. Therefore, by choosing the run your CAS2.5 ram at CAS2, you are running it at a rating at which it failed manufacturer tests. This can lead to random freezes and crashes that give no apparent pattern of failure, making it difficult to debug. I would recommend against running current CAS2.5 batches at CAS2 for these reasons.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =