PIO Mode 4

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, I have a 8x4x32x CD-RW (Generic). Now, it is a PIO Mode 4 Drive that NEVER burns at 8X, and only goes at 2X no matter what I do, whether it is making a data disc from hard drive or on the fly audio or data CD copying. It just won't go to 8X. Now, it isn't a DMA drive so I have DMA disabled, but even when it is enabled it still goes at 2X only. I ran a CD Speed Test and it gets an average read of 16X, which isn't too bad. But, it should BURN at 8X, but never does, and I think it has to do with PIO Mode 4. In Nero I did a speed test and it doesn't say Mode 4, but instead says Mode 1. Why is it going to Mode 1??? I have tried EVERYTHING and looked EVERYWHERE to find a solution as to why the burner isn't burning how it should. Anyways, here are my system specs:

Duron 700
MSI K7T Pro KT133 mobo
128 MB PC133 Ram
Widows 98 SE (previously had ME, but it didn't work in that either)

THat's probably all the crucial system info... If anyone knows what to do or has any link on where I may find some help, please respond. Thankyou.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

G

Here's the best I can do:

Mode 1 is PIO (so if you have DMA disabled, Nero is correct to use this)
Mode 2 is some form of DMA (ATA33 or UDMA33 I think)
Mode 3 is ??? (somebody fill this in please)
Mode 4 is ATA66 or UDMA66
Mode 5 is ATA100 or UDMA100

So in your BIOS, what Mode does it detect at? If it is Mode 4 you need to turn on DMA because you don't have a PIO drive. If it still only burns at 2x with DMA enabled, I would lean towards needing updated drivers. How generic is this generic drive? It has to be made by somebody.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It is actually a Philips drive. It doesn't say Philips anywhere on it, but there is a number E118405 and after doing a search I came up with Philips as the maker. Plus there is a sticker on the drive that says "PHLP 8x4x32x", and I think I do remember the dealer at the computer show selling it as a Philips drive. But, that didn't do anything. I searched Philips' site, which totally sucked and didn't help me out at all and had no information on either that number or the Philips model number I found by Google searching. I did send an e-mail to tech support, but who knows if they can help me out... I guess I'll have to wait and see. Grr... Computers suck.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

TRENDING THREADS