HiveMate

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Hi, I recently purchased Asus UX31 and I love the thing to death. I'm not really a gamer, so the integrated HD 3000 does the job superbly well. However, just for curiosity I've been searching for ways of increasing the performance of the card. Not really expecting anything over the top, but it would still be a welcome change.

I'm not really tech savvy, but the card comes integrated with Core i7-2677M CPU Sandy Bridge. Is there any way to overclock it? Are there any specific drivers I could look into? Any other way to increase performance of the card?

Thank you!

The HD3000 graphics engine is located on the CPU and what boost you may gain by limited clocking through the BIOS is probably not worth the cost in system stability.

There are 3rd party utilities available like setPLL -- not sure how it might play on a notebook.

I'd suggest against trying to OC it. If it does its job don't mess with it. Laptops ussually are built to handle barely the amount of heat it normally generate so OC could cause some serious problems.

The HD 3000 should be sufficient if you don't game.

Actually, the Intel HD 3000 is not too shabby for games... as long as you don't have high expectations. My laptop has a dedicated nVidia GT 550m, but I decided to take the HD 3000 for a spin.

Crysis was playable on low (if you can deal with 24FPS) and did pretty well with Fallout 3. Civilization 4 was fine, but that game doesn't really need a powerful video card. Mass Effect was a bit too choppy, enough where I don't recommend playing that game. GTA 4 was horrendous at least on my laptop. According to GTA 4 with all graphic settings at low, the game needed 200MB of RAM. But, for whatever reason it stated that my laptop only had 50MB allocated to the Intel HD 3000.

Basically you load a saved game in GTA 4 you are in one of your apartments. There was so little VRAM that the walls, floor, and ceiling were not rendered. My character was basically suspended in mid air. This took me by surprise because I have seen Youtube videos of people playing GTA 4 with the Intel HD 3000 without any of the issues I was having. Weird and I did not bother to investigate any further...