I just put together the following rig

i5 2500k
p8z68-v pro gen3 mobo
700w coolmax psu
8gb kingston 1600 hyperx
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow
1x 200gb hdd
1x 2tb hdd

Although the build is not finish yet... I still feel like it's not meeting my expectations. Are my HDD's giving me that much of a bottle neck? or am I just over reacting? I keep thinking "well jeez this was a waste". Any one else feel like this over similar parts?

More about : expecting

April 7, 2012 1:46:50 PM

Exactly what expectations aren't being met? Load times? Gaming?
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 1:53:11 PM

You have a $300 case and a $70 PSU. It wouldn't surprise me that you have unrealistic expectations.
m
l
April 7, 2012 1:58:40 PM

Please fill out the form for how to ask for build
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:02:03 PM

serialkiller said:
Please fill out the form for how to ask for build

He already built it...
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:03:26 PM

robertris2 said:
Hey all,

I just put together the following rig

i5 2500k
p8z68-v pro gen3 mobo
700w coolmax psu
8gb kingston 1600 hyperx
Thermaltake level 10 gt snow
1x 200gb hdd
1x 2tb hdd

Although the build is not finish yet... I still feel like it's not meeting my expectations. Are my HDD's giving me that much of a bottle neck? or am I just over reacting? I keep thinking "well jeez this was a waste". Any one else feel like this over similar parts?

from your current specs, only the psu seems like waste.
if you're building for gaming, get a gaming gfx card like geforce gtx 680 or radeon 7950/7870.
change the coolmax psu to a good one like corsair tx or seasonic m12ii something.
add an ssd like crucial m4 if you think you are getting hdd bottleneck (i doubt it will help with gaming).
cpu cooler's missing too. imo cooler master hyper 212 evo, noctua nh d14 are two good cpu coolers.
make sure your chosen parts are compatible.
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:25:58 PM

You could buy a cheaper nd better motherboard.

Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3

also coolmax psu are ticking timebomb and will take you system down any time.

For psu recommendation

Pc power and cooling silencer mkii 750 w 80+ silver or corsair tx 750 80+ bronze or ocz 750w 80+ psu or seasonic 750w 80+ bronze psu or xfx 750w pro 80+ bronze

also check that ram is 1.5v. hyperx is 1.65v which is bad.

For ram preference

corsair vengence 2x4 gb 1600mhz low profile ddr3 ram or mushkin blackline 2x4gb 1600mhz cas8 ram

case is an overkill but personal preference.

Suggestion.

Corsair 500r white or cm storm sniper.

Also a crucial m4 64-128gb ssd for os and games will increase the speed of boot and load time.

Oyher than that a aftermarket cpu cooler is needed to oc the cpu.

Cm hyper 212 evo willoverclock upto 4.5 ghz and is the best cpu cooler for its price and performance
m
l
April 7, 2012 2:51:45 PM

serialkiller said:
You could buy a cheaper nd better motherboard.

Asrock z68 extreme3 gen3

also coolmax psu are ticking timebomb and will take you system down any time.

For psu recommendation

Pc power and cooling silencer mkii 750 w 80+ silver or corsair tx 750 80+ bronze or ocz 750w 80+ psu or seasonic 750w 80+ bronze psu or xfx 750w pro 80+ bronze

also check that ram is 1.5v. hyperx is 1.65v which is bad.

For ram preference

corsair vengence 2x4 gb 1600mhz low profile ddr3 ram or mushkin blackline 2x4gb 1600mhz cas8 ram

case is an overkill but personal preference.

Suggestion.

Corsair 500r white or cm storm sniper.

Also a crucial m4 64-128gb ssd for os and games will increase the speed of boot and load time.

Oyher than that a aftermarket cpu cooler is needed to oc the cpu.

Cm hyper 212 evo willoverclock upto 4.5 ghz and is the best cpu cooler for its price and performance

I get the impression that you didn't really read the intial post or any subsequent posts. He already built the system. Who builds a system and then goes and replaces all the bits?

Coolmax PSU with his setup is fine. It might not be the best in terms of efficiency or stability but it will work for a couple years without issues and has no direct effect on his complaints of being underwhelmed.

1.65V RAM is fine too. It's the max allowable voltage, but it isn't going to hurt anything.

He already bought a spendy case that he likes, spending another $150 doesn't get him anywhere or improve system performance.

How about waiting for the OP to post again about what his disspointment is before making more random suggestions?
m
l
April 7, 2012 3:04:49 PM

OP, what are your bottlenecks? What is not meeting your expectations?

• Are programs taking too long to load?
  • Is it taking too long to copy files?
  • Are you encoding video and it is taking too long?
  • Is it taking too long to boot?
  • Are you not getting the anticipated billion FPS in Crysis?

What exactly is missing the mark regarding your expectations? If you can narrow down what is making you unhappy then folks can make valid recommendations to assist you.
    m
    l
    April 7, 2012 4:32:19 PM

I just completed my first build with a few similar items as you, and I have to say that you are definitely missing out on speed without a SSD. I didn't see much of a difference when I added a video card to my setup a few weeks later, but I don't game. I have your tried overclocking your 2500K?

My build:
    ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
    Sapphire HD 6850 GPU
    Intel Core i5-2500K Overclocked to 4.5Ghz (w/ Temps hovering around 28 Celsius w/ regular use)
    XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm After Market CPU Cooler w/ Artic5
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3 1866 (mobo defaulted to 1600/changed to 1866)
    SAMSUNG 830 64GB SATA III (Boot-Up/OS)
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 Tuner Card
    CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 PSU
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Corsair Carbide 400R Case
    LG WH12LS39 Blu-Ray Writer
    Western Digital 500 GB Caviar Blue
    Western Digital 300 GB
    ASUS VS247H-P 23.6"
    m
    l
    April 7, 2012 7:37:46 PM

po1nted said:
    OP, what are your bottlenecks? What is not meeting your expectations?

• Are programs taking too long to load?
  • Is it taking too long to copy files?
  • Are you encoding video and it is taking too long?
  • Is it taking too long to boot?
  • Are you not getting the anticipated billion FPS in Crysis?

What exactly is missing the mark regarding your expectations? If you can narrow down what is making you unhappy then folks can make valid recommendations to assist you.

• I guess first I should say, I am completely happy with the thermaltake case, and I knew from the beggining I could have had something a lot cheaper. I decided to spend the money because it was something I had wanted for a long time. I should also let it be known that the PSU was bought at the last second and I will be returning it to buy a better one.

Now, basically, I feel like windows 7 takes to long to load, copy tims are not terrible, some programs take a while to load, and occasionally the computer just kind of sits there and wont respond for a few seconds. I'm coming from a p4 with 512MB from a crap sony vaio I bought a few years ago so I do notice tons of improvements, but I still feel like it's not working the way it should..

I have a plan to buy an SSD, a better PSU, a CPU cooler, probably 8GB more ram.. but that's all going to take maybe 1-2 months.

So should I change the priority to chaning the PSU before ssd?

On cpuz my ram shows 1.5v for jdec #2,3,4 but shows 1.65v for xmp-1600. Is that a problem? I believe I have 30 days to return anything you see in my build.
    m
    l

Best solution

April 7, 2012 11:42:47 PM

If all your judging on is load times then you probably would be a bit dissapointed as the new CPU's don't really speed that up a whole lot. The real gains are in compute heavy tasks like video encoding, games, modeling, etc...

If you want a real system boost what you need to do is get a solid state drive, or at the very least a quick hard drive with a large cache (64MB) and a 7200 RPM or better spindle speed. Samsung, Intel and and Crucial all make great SSD's. 120GB or better as a primary drive is a good idea and can be purchased for less than $200. 30-60GB models for use as a cache drive with your Z68 board via Intel RST software will run between $50-100 and will provide 80% of the benefit at half the price of a large primary SSD.

Don't worry too much about your RAM. You'll be fine running it at either 1333Mhz 1.50v or 1600Mhz 1.65V. 8GB is more than you'll ever need. If you're only on Windows 7 32-bit you'll be limited to a bit over 3GB in use anyways. Even with 64-bit you'll rarely see over 3GB in use. There's no way you'll ever use over 8GB so don't worry.

Also, your CPU is super duper. It's widely regarded as the best gaming CPU for sale these days. Definitely no need to upgrade there.

The only other thing I can recomend is to make sure you have all of your drivers up to date. Visit www.intel.com, and run their driver utility which will make sure you've got the lastest chipset drivers and RST software installed. Then do the same for your motherboard's BIOS by visiting Asus's site. That may help a bit, especially as a lot of the vendors were slow to add memory compatability with these Z68 systems.
    April 8, 2012 2:18:42 AM

robertris2 said:
    So should I change the priority to chaning the PSU before ssd?

Replacing the case and PSU will do nothing to improve your performance. An SSD seems to be right up your alley, get one if you can swing it. It will do more to improve the boot and application load times than any other possible upgrade.

Next, focus on cleaning up your system, update all drivers (as mentioned by 87ninefiveone), minimize the number of programs/apps.drivers that load on boot, etc. Even with an SSD Windows can be a dog loading if it is hampered by dozens of unnecessary startup programs, drivers, etc. Here are some links to decent advice:

http://www.computingunleashed.com/speed-up-windows-7-ul...

http://www.computingunleashed.com/speed-up-windows-7-ul...

I recommend performing a system backup or at least backing up the registry before messing with Windows settings that are unfamiliar to you.

Good luck!
    m
    l
    April 8, 2012 8:25:01 AM

Best answer selected by robertris2.
    m
    l
    April 8, 2012 8:26:28 AM

87ninefiveone said:
    If all your judging on is load times then you probably would be a bit dissapointed as the new CPU's don't really speed that up a whole lot. The real gains are in compute heavy tasks like video encoding, games, modeling, etc...

If you want a real system boost what you need to do is get a solid state drive, or at the very least a quick hard drive with a large cache (64MB) and a 7200 RPM or better spindle speed. Samsung, Intel and and Crucial all make great SSD's. 120GB or better as a primary drive is a good idea and can be purchased for less than $200. 30-60GB models for use as a cache drive with your Z68 board via Intel RST software will run between $50-100 and will provide 80% of the benefit at half the price of a large primary SSD.

Don't worry too much about your RAM. You'll be fine running it at either 1333Mhz 1.50v or 1600Mhz 1.65V. 8GB is more than you'll ever need. If you're only on Windows 7 32-bit you'll be limited to a bit over 3GB in use anyways. Even with 64-bit you'll rarely see over 3GB in use. There's no way you'll ever use over 8GB so don't worry.

Also, your CPU is super duper. It's widely regarded as the best gaming CPU for sale these days. Definitely no need to upgrade there.

The only other thing I can recomend is to make sure you have all of your drivers up to date. Visit www.intel.com, and run their driver utility which will make sure you've got the lastest chipset drivers and RST software installed. Then do the same for your motherboard's BIOS by visiting Asus's site. That may help a bit, especially as a lot of the vendors were slow to add memory compatability with these Z68 systems.

Thanks guys, I think the possitive feedback helped me feel more comfortable with my build. Just removing a few things from start up made a noticable difference. I'm sure the SSD will help when I get it.
    Any one know if there is a way to completely copy my current partition /w windows from my hdd to an ssd?
    m
    l
    April 8, 2012 1:03:33 PM

The easiest way is to use a cloning program like Arcronis True Image. A lot of disk manufacturers give a chopped down version out for free with HDD/SSD purchases. If you don't want to buy it, it's often on the HDD disk manufacturer's website under downloads. The only catch is that it is usually keyed to work only if one of the drive's involved is from that manufacturer.
    m
    l
    !