Mixed Work/Gaming Build

Thornino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
Hi guys, I need a mixed build for work and gaming, BUT mostly for work (multi-tasking, Adobe, web stuff).

This is what I've come up with. Bear with me, I don't know if they all fit together or if there are more cost alternative options for the hardware.

NOTES
1. I'm buying everything from this store, so they may not have products you might recommend. Would you take a look here: http://translate.google.pt/translate?sl=pt&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=pt-PT&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcdiga.com&act=url
2. I was going for an Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 but 77 boards are coming out? Is it worth it?
3. Prices are in euros. It's more expensive than in the US, just so you know.
4. I wanted these but they're not available at the store (peripherals): Sidewinder X4 / Logitech MX518 / Edifier M13502.1
5. I won't be gaming a lot, so I'm open to a more cost effective, but still good, card.

HYBRID BUILD
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K
Mobo: Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 OR Asrock Z77 PRO4 OR Asrock Z77 Extreme4 OR other 77 board?
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (ST2000DM001)
GPU: Asus ATI HD7870 2GB DDR5
Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Titanium Grey OR NZXT H2 White OR other?
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 520w
ODD: Samsung DVD-RW 20x SH-S203P Bulk
CPU HSF: Corsair A50
Monitor: Dell 23'' U2312HM
Keyboard/Mouse/Speakers: Suggestions?

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
Your build is perfect except the psu .

For psu i would suggest

corsair cx 600 80+ psu or seasonic 520w 80+ bronze

also i would suggest cm hyper 212 evo as it is the best performing cooler for its value.

Other than that keyboard , mouse and case are personal preference.

But buy keybord and mouse of logitech , cyborg , razer , microsoft which are most recommended.

For case

my basic suggestions are cm haf 912 or corsair 400r if having a bit higher budget then corsair carbide 500r or 600t white

and cooler master storm sniper as it has dust filters.

Other than that cases are perdonal preference.

The cases you choose are good.

You wont choose it wrong.

Other than that why not a 64gb or even a 128 gb ssd will be great addition to your build.

Good luck for your build.

A small tip

download all the latest drivers of motherboard , gpu etc and after installing os flash it with the new driver.

Also ubdate your os till it says no updates are available.

See you : hello:

Thornino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012

cm hyper 212 evo
I've seen people mention it, but in the store I'm buying parts they don't stock it.

corsair cx 600
They stock it. So it's a good one?

Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
They also stock this one. And they also have "advanced" versions of this, like the HAF 922, 922 w/window and 932. But the HAF 912 is enough?

I'm unsure about the board... Go for the new 77 boards or stick with the good cost effective Asrock Z68?

And about the card? I won't be gaming a lot, it'll be a lot of work and a little gaming here and there. I understand this card is reasonably cost effective, but is there a more cost effective one, or is it worth it to shell out almost $400 for a card if I'm not playing intensively?

The Antec is fine.

Your board question, I'd perhaps stick with the Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 just because I don't think there will be a performance increase that large to justify the extra euros spent. Also, the Extreme3 Gen3 is already able to use Ivy Bridge chips if you did end up getting one and can use PCI 3.0 if you do have an Ivy chip.

Your build is solid.

The Sidewinder X4 is a great keyboard by the way. I have it now, best keyboard I've ever used. The keyboard sounds amazing, and the quality is great. Logitech has been meh for me in the past years and I hear Razr's durability is garbage as well as tech support.

Thornino

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2012
What about the 77 boards?

EDIT: just checked your reply.

Unfortunately the store doesn't stock neither of these 3:Sidewinder X4 / Logitech MX518 / Edifier M13502.1