Wireless gaming adapters

To all gamers out there who have chosen to use some wireless gaming
adapter, can you please take some time out and answer these.

1. Which one do you have?

2. Do you have experience with any other adapter(maybe at a friends
place)? How do they compare?

3. In case you have used wired connection earlier, if it was possible,
would you rather prefer a wired connection?

4. How easy or difficult was the setup?

5. What is the longest range that gives you a
lag-free/no-connection-dropped experience? (basement->1st Floor,
Basement->2nd floor?? )

I need to figure out the best place to put my router. I wish to use my
laptop everywhere in the house (basement+2 levels). Xbox would be in
the basement. If I must put the router(WRT54G) in the basement, do you
think my laptop will be able to connect from the top floor? If not,
then I need to keep the router on the first floor and hope that
everything works since it is the most efficient distance. One thing
that I do not want to compromise is lag or disconnection while playing
xbox. I can live with an occasional dropped connection while browsing
web. More critical web browsing can be done by taking laptop in the
basement.

Thanks for your time.
7 answers Last reply
More about wireless gaming adapters

    DNA wrote:
    > To all gamers out there who have chosen to use some wireless gaming
    > adapter, can you please take some time out and answer these.
    >
    > 1. Which one do you have?
    >
    > 2. Do you have experience with any other adapter(maybe at a friends
    > place)? How do they compare?
    >
    > 3. In case you have used wired connection earlier, if it was possible,
    > would you rather prefer a wired connection?
    >
    > 4. How easy or difficult was the setup?
    >
    > 5. What is the longest range that gives you a
    > lag-free/no-connection-dropped experience? (basement->1st Floor,
    > Basement->2nd floor?? )
    >

    > I need to figure out the best place to put my router. I wish to use my
    > laptop everywhere in the house (basement+2 levels). Xbox would be in
    > the basement. If I must put the router(WRT54G) in the basement, do you
    > think my laptop will be able to connect from the top floor? If not,
    > then I need to keep the router on the first floor and hope that
    > everything works since it is the most efficient distance. One thing
    > that I do not want to compromise is lag or disconnection while playing
    > xbox. I can live with an occasional dropped connection while browsing
    > web. More critical web browsing can be done by taking laptop in the
    > basement.

    I've only used one wireless controller -- it had a noticable lag time.
    That experience, combined with an underappreciation of the benefits of a
    wireless controller, has left my desire to use one tepid.

    Over the course of the last couple of years, I've set up about a dozen
    wireless home networks. In cases were my friends wanted the router (or
    a workstation) in the basement, the reception has been poor to
    unuseable. Perhaps you will have better luck.

    I try to situation the router in a central location, but not in the
    basement. For any workstations in the basement, I generally run a wired
    connection from the router to them, unless the basement is so finished
    that I cannot hide the wires.

    Although I have not had to do it, you might be able to mitigate a poor
    basement connection by connecting a wireless hub to the problem PC,
    again with a hard connection.

    I use the Micro$oft Wireless-G.
    Effortless to set up.
    Distance from router to XBox is about 40', through 2 walls.

    Signal strength stays pegged at "Excellent."

    Haven't experienced any interference from 2.4GHz telephones.

    I have a wrt54g wireless linksys router 3 rooms away on the same floor
    connecting to a MS wireless xbox adapter (mn740 I think is the model
    #). It was very easy to set up. I have the security encryption turned
    on, and haven't really noticed any lag from the wireless connection
    while playing on Live. My ISP sometimes has problems that cause me
    lag, I can tell when it's happening by going to toast.net and checking
    my download speed. My neighbor and I connect and play on LIVE, and he
    uses a linksys router with a linksys game adapter with no noticable
    problems. We have the same ISP, and can tell when there is a problem
    because we will both have lag. If I had a more reliable ISP, I don't
    think there would be any lag with the wireless connection. I have had
    to reboot the router when it was locked up a few times.

    DNA wrote:
    > To all gamers out there who have chosen to use some wireless gaming
    > adapter, can you please take some time out and answer these.

    Thanks for the replies (keep them coming).

    I am getting a better idea and I think will go for a Linksys/MS
    wireless adapter (anything to reduce the clutter), if the cable guy is
    willing to spend some time with me, I can experiment with the xbox and
    laptop with the router at different locations.

    I think there is some confusion about the question. I need information
    about the wireless networking part and not the wireless controller
    (although whatever input we have in this thread reinforces my decision
    of not using a wireless controller yet.)

    >Sadly, I can confirm that behavior for the single BEFW11S4 I have
    >purchased. It seems to be particularily sensitive to intermittent power
    > outages. I've been very happy with Linksys' wired counterparts, however.

    I live in a rural neighborhood, and our only option for broadband is
    wireless internet. The ISP installed everyone's system with a Linksys
    router. Everyone in the neighborhood has the same problem with the
    routers locking up. Of course, they start calling each other "Is your
    internet down?"

    "NO! Reset your router...again." :-)

    > 1. Which one do you have?

    D Link G810

    > 2. Do you have experience with any other adapter(maybe at a friends
    > place)? How do they compare?

    Sorry - no

    > 3. In case you have used wired connection earlier, if it was possible,
    > would you rather prefer a wired connection?

    Always used wireless and it works really well - no lag issues

    > 4. How easy or difficult was the setup?

    Very easy - connect to a PC - enter the network security details then plug
    it into your XBOX

    > 5. What is the longest range that gives you a
    > lag-free/no-connection-dropped experience? (basement->1st Floor,
    > Basement->2nd floor?? )

    My XBOX is downstairs with the Wireless router upstairs - it goes through a
    couple of walls and would probably be about 5 metres between them - signal
    is excellent

    > I need to figure out the best place to put my router. I wish to use my
    > laptop everywhere in the house (basement+2 levels). Xbox would be in
    > the basement. If I must put the router(WRT54G) in the basement, do you
    > think my laptop will be able to connect from the top floor? If not,
    > then I need to keep the router on the first floor and hope that
    > everything works since it is the most efficient distance. One thing
    > that I do not want to compromise is lag or disconnection while playing
    > xbox. I can live with an occasional dropped connection while browsing
    > web. More critical web browsing can be done by taking laptop in the
    > basement.

    If you use your wireless laptop as the measurement and see what level of
    signal you get with it in the basement - the wireless bridge will give you
    similar reaults - you are lucky you can do that before you buy the
    ridge! - it will take the gues work out of it

    tic wrote:
    > My XBOX is downstairs with the Wireless router upstairs - it goes
    through a
    > couple of walls and would probably be about 5 metres between them -
    signal
    > is excellent
    >
    > > I need to figure out the best place to put my router. I wish to use
    my
    > > laptop everywhere in the house (basement+2 levels). Xbox would be
    in
    > > the basement. If I must put the router(WRT54G) in the basement, do
    you
    > > think my laptop will be able to connect from the top floor? If not,
    > > then I need to keep the router on the first floor and hope that
    > > everything works since it is the most efficient distance. One thing
    > > that I do not want to compromise is lag or disconnection while
    playing
    > > xbox. I can live with an occasional dropped connection while
    browsing
    > > web. More critical web browsing can be done by taking laptop in the
    > > basement.
    >
    > If you use your wireless laptop as the measurement and see what level
    of
    > signal you get with it in the basement - the wireless bridge will
    give you
    > similar reaults - you are lucky you can do that before you buy the
    > ridge! - it will take the gues work out of it

    Thank you for all the replies.

    I took the measurements with just the router WRT54G and my WPC54G card
    and the results are much better than expected. Even when I kept the
    router in the basement (where the xbox would be), I could get a signal
    and link quality of 35% in the worst possible case in a second floor
    room. This would definitely work. (And if you think that it might not
    be enough, I could browse at OK speeds at a signal strength of 23% that
    I got from a neighbor.) For bandwidth intensive file transfers, I can
    always take the laptop to the basement.

    A friend here had problems with a 802.11b router and card in a similar
    orientation. He is going to try today with my router and card. I will
    post further findings here soon.

    I am getting broadband this weekend and I should be online from the new
    place soon.

Console Gaming Wireless Connection Video Games