Internet Speeds with SB6120

manyinwong

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
I am planning to get internet access with Teksavvy ISP.

Planning to get the "TekSavvy Extreme Cable Pro"

Downspeed: Up to 15 Mbps
Upspeed: Up to 1 Mbps

http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp

-Here is my problem.
I am sharing internet with 3 other people. (4 in total) and planning to have wireless access. we are worrying that the internet speed will not be enough if we use a bad wireless router). and wishing to have 1 to 1.5mb/s internet speed per person

Here are some questions.
1)
What modem should we get to insure we get above 1 to 1.5mb/s (theoretically)? ( i know it depends on the isp.)

2)
If we have a budget of around $100 dollars. will there be any deal that will achieve the speed in question 1?

3)
If the budget is not enough. what wireless router should i be getting; regardless the price. (but make it realistic)

thanks you :)

Given your requirements, you don't need anything special. With 15Mbps available and 3-4 users only averaging 1.5Mbps, that's not tasking either the modem or router all that much. Where I would concentrate my efforts is acquiring a router capable of QoS (quality of Service) controls to prevent any one user from dominating access and perhaps sucking up all the bandwidth with large downloads, torrents, etc. Of course, if you don’t expect this to happen, or happen often, it may not be an issue. But bandwidth controls are often overlooked until you have problems, and are often far more important in keeping users happy because this directly affects responsiveness and the “perception” of high performance.

If you want a nice, proven, and powerful router, my choice today would be the ASUS RT-N16 w/ tomato (third party software). Tomato QoS controls work very well, but even the stock firmware supports QoS if that’s your preference. About $80-90, wireless N, 2 x USB ports for storage and printer support, etc.

http://event.asus.com/2009/networks/dummy_ui/rt-n16/