Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Overheating

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 5:17:19 PM

Hi all,

I have a a Gateway FX6710-01 that I purchased a little over two years ago. It has an ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphics card. One of the reasons I bought it was to be able to play GTA IV on it. The game worked fine for a while but eventually the computer started shutting down whenever I played it. (Thankfully I was able to get through the main game before this started to occur). I did some research on the internet and found that others were having the same problem. It was suggested that the way to solve this problem was to clean out the computer case with compressed air. I've done this multiple times and I'm still having the same problem.

Recently, I downloaded speedfan and it turns out my graphics card is overheating. Currently my graphics card is running at 91 degrees Celsius and I only have spotify and Firefox open. Apparently this card has a reputation for overheating. From the research I've done, a lot of people have suggested the power supply may be an issue. (For some reason, Gateway put a 400W power supply in the computer while ATI recommends the 4850 should have at least a 450W power supply). However, I asked on another forum and was told that tinkering with the fan settings or putting in another fan would solve the problem. So I really don't know what to do.
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 5:43:25 PM

well your options are this
1. get a whole new video card heatsink and fan, can get one online or at a tiger direct near you. but towers like yours arent specifically designed to be the coolest in the world. also if you are doing option 1 be sure to get some thermal compound as well.

2. Get a new computer case and just install all your hardware in the new case. Since your parts are more than likely no longer under warranty and gateway is no longer????Maybe??. but Either a new Heatsink or a new case with better airflow will work

As for the card, yea One think i have noticed is AMD injects more power into their cards for power boost but.....it overheats cards. the 4850 beat a 260 but it runs hooter. i think it was the 4850 they compared. and my card was compared to the 6950. the 6950 out runs my card but runs hotter and has more power requirement
February 1, 2012 12:05:14 AM

Yuck! Those don't sound like very attractive options to me. I also should mention that I'm not very experienced when it comes to tinkering with hardware. Should I perhaps just try buying a new heatsink first, before I buy a whole new tower? Are heatsinks hard to install? Thanks for helping/
!