Sign in with
Your question
Closed

BF3/GTA IV/GTA SA Ultra 1920x1080 Build

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 1:10:21 PM

Asus P8H61-M PRO REV 3.0 Motherboard
Intel Sandybridge i5-2500K Unlocked Core i5 Quad-Core Processor (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache, Socket 1155)
Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 Desktop Memory 4GB
Coolermaster Sileo 500 Mid Tower Chassis
Asus nVIDIA 3D GeForce GTX 560 TI DirectCu II TOP Graphics Card (1GB)
TP Link TL-WN881ND 300Mbps Wireless N PCI Express Adapter
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 High Performance 650W Power Supply
Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 16MB Cache 3.5 inch Internal Hard Drive OEM
Asus DRW-24B3ST SATA Internal 24X DVD±RW Drive
Asus VS247H LCD LED 23.6" HDMI Monitor

My concerns:
  • Motherboard is cheap, disadvantages?
  • I'll get another 4GB memory soon, is the one 4GB stick alright for now?
  • Could the case not be cool enough?
  • Is it worth spending more for a factory overclocked one?
  • Are there any better GTX 560 Ti's/cheaper ones than £176
  • Is the wireless card any good?
  • Does the PSU make a lot of noise?
  • Is the HDD fast enough?
  • Is the DVD-RW drive reliable?
  • Is the monitor too big?

Help would be greatly appreciated.
    April 7, 2012 1:40:01 PM

The main disadvantage of the motherboard is it is h61 chipset motherboard.

On this motherboard you cannot overclock your gpu.

Also dual gpu setup is worse if possible.

For that the cheapest and best motherboard which can oc and sli is

asrock z68 extreme3 gen3

ram is so cheap now a days you could get 8 gb right now.

Pc will run on 1 4 gb stick but you cannot overclock on one stick.

I would suggest a better case with nice airflow.

Consider cm haf 912 the best case for its price.

No if its too much. but if is worth spending few bucks for an after market cooler like asus dc ii or xfx double d fans or msi twin frozer ii.

Nvidia gpus are costly but isnt cost productive.

My recommendation is to get sapphire hd 7850 oc edition or asus dc ii hd 7850

it will be more powerfull for your dollar.

Why do you need a wireless card. is it an htpc build.

The psu has more than enough juice for a gtx 560ti or hd 7850 but cannot crossfire or sli two of this for this you need to consider a 750w psu.

Pc power and cooling silencer mkii 80+ silver or corsair tx 750w 80+ bronze or ocz 750w pro modular 80+ psu should be consider.

Corsair tx series is silent.

Hdd is fast enough but if your budget allows a 64-128 gb crucial m4 ssd will speed up boot time as welk as game loading time.

Dvd drive is the best on market and also is silent while burning dvds.

Monitors are of personal preference.

Monitor is of great quality and size. its perfect for your build.

Good luck for your build.
    April 7, 2012 1:42:14 PM

Your main problem/conflict is going to be with a "K" series processor and H61 based board. Overclocking on H61s is only accomplished through the base clock, you cannot jack the multiplier up like you can on a P67/Z68/Z77 based board. So you will either need a better board if you intend on overclocking, or save the $ and get a non "K" series processor.
    Related resources
    April 7, 2012 1:53:07 PM

The pro says it can cpu overclock, look at its specs: http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H6...

I'll probably never get a second gpu

Another 4gb will be bought asap

Any cases £55 or lower?

Considering an AMD card, can't really spend over £176.

I dont know what htcc is but I need wireless connection.

Also, 2500k is cheaper on amazon than the 2500.

Thankyou for help, still in need of case and possibly better gpu
    April 7, 2012 2:14:58 PM

Htpc means home theater personal computer.

It your choice to get wireless adaptor.

If you cant affort hd 7850 then get hd 7770 or hd 6870.

Also for motherboard ether get asrock z68 pro3 gen3 or get i5 2400

its your call.

Also cm haf 912 is your best bet and dome of the antec one hundred cases
    April 7, 2012 2:43:38 PM

Those GPUs seem a little cheap, I want to run BF3 on ultra. The Asus PRO can overclock, it says it's able to.
    April 7, 2012 6:03:49 PM

It cannot overclock. Only P67 and Z68 boards can OC.
    April 7, 2012 8:35:11 PM

That one is great!
    April 7, 2012 8:52:05 PM

I NEVER want to crossfire you know? Apparently this one doesn't have heatsink so it reached 92 degrees while idle.
    April 7, 2012 8:54:13 PM

What do you mean doesn't have a heatsink?
    April 7, 2012 9:03:41 PM

I don't even know, think it's some thing that covers parts of it to stop them overheating or something.
    April 7, 2012 9:05:43 PM

The CPU comes with the Heatsink, not the motherboard.
    April 7, 2012 9:29:15 PM

The motherboard has heatsink too, well the others do but not this one/
    April 8, 2012 5:00:34 AM

It has a slot for heatsink, but doesn't come with one.
    April 8, 2012 6:25:37 AM

Whaa??
    April 8, 2012 3:23:23 PM

I don't see the benefit in this one. It's £35 more and I also need to buy it a heatsink?
    April 8, 2012 3:53:27 PM

Also, the motherboard says it can take 1600Mhz RAM which is good, but the i5 2500k says it can't on intel website.
    April 8, 2012 7:33:49 PM

For the last time, it doesn't come with the heatsink. The Processor does...
    April 8, 2012 8:14:17 PM

I think he's confused. To OP:
    There are three different chipsets on a motherboard: H61, P61, and Z61. Motherboards NORMALLY don't have heatsinks, CPU's do. The high end motherboards include heatsinks to cover some parts of the motherboard that have higher temps, while lower end ones don't. Your original board is probably fine; I haven't looked at whether or not it can overclock, but I *think* that H61 boards can overclock...
    April 8, 2012 8:29:27 PM

Only X58, P67, Z68, X79, Z75, and Z77 MOBOs can OC.
    April 8, 2012 8:32:33 PM

For the last time... the P8H61-M PRO says it can overclock the CPU, check the specs.
    April 8, 2012 8:35:02 PM

You really need to read up on what each chipset is capable of. H61 cannot overclock. If you want to waste your $ by getting it and attempting to OC, go ahead, but you'll be gravely disappointed.
    April 8, 2012 9:37:31 PM

lolol
    April 8, 2012 9:47:49 PM

Turbo Boost and Overclocking are not the same thing.
    April 8, 2012 9:48:12 PM

Dude, Azeem knows what he's talking about!! And I think there talking about TurboBoost not pure OC. TurboBoost allows the cpu to overclock itself in certain situations. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    April 8, 2012 9:50:00 PM

Turbo Boost is limited to 3.6 GHz on an i5-2500k. OC means you can go higher than that, but since you can't with Turbo Boost, it is NOT considered OCing.
    April 8, 2012 10:10:47 PM

^^Thats what I meant :o 
    April 8, 2012 10:39:46 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
    Says overclock in the description.

I am really getting tired of saying this. It CANNOT Overclock. Ask anyone around.
    April 9, 2012 4:11:17 PM

OK look,
    There is TURBO BOOST and OVERCLOCKING.
    TurboBoost is built into the processor and when your computer is stressed the CPU speed will go up, but not by a lot. For example, if it's 3GHz, it'll turboboost up to 3.2GHz.
    Overclocking is more difficult and manual, but you'll see amazing gains. You have to go in the Motherboard BIOS, and change the frequency from there, but the performance is like night and day.
    For example, if it's 3GHz, you might overclock up to 4.2GHz or more!
    Turboboost is enabled on ALL Intel processors, however, overclocking is only enabled on processors with a K at the end.
    For example- i3 2120(CAN'T overclock)
    i5 2500K(CAN overclock)
    GPU overclocking is supported on every single type of motherboard out there. Don't worry about that.
    However, in addition to the processor, you must get a compatible motherboard for overclocking.
    There are mainly 4:
    H61, H61, P67, Z68

ONLY P67 and Z68 can overclock the processor. H61 and H67 can't period. The BEST motherboard for your needs is the ASRock Extreme3 Gen3.

Also for the heatsink, almost all Intel processors come with a heatsink. If you don't overclock, they will be adequate, however if you DO, you will need a better one. The Hyper 212 Evo is a very good one.

As for the RAM, the Intel processors DO support 1600MHz. Don't get anything more than that, as it is a total waste. 8GB of DDR3 1600MHz should be adequate. Hope that helped. :) 
    April 9, 2012 5:57:41 PM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Z68-Motherboard-Express-ASRock-...

Is this it? Would this be better because it comes with 8-channel audio?:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005FSHIVG/ref=s9_si...

And are you sure about the RAM? It says that the i5 2500k can only handle 1300Mhz RAM on the intel page, will I need to overclock it to run 1600?

By the way, I like the look of your computer. Looks pretty good, do you tend to run Battlefield on Ultra on that thing?
    April 9, 2012 6:09:26 PM

Audio doesn't matter. What matters more? Performance or audio? They're both good motherboards, but the ASUS is better(Audio will sound the same). The i5 can handle 1600MHz. If you don't enable XMP in the BIOS, the RAM will be set to a default of 1333MHz, even though it's 1600. Once enabled, the RAM will run at it's intended speed(1600). Overclocking RAM is dangeroud and can fry your mobo. Pay a few extra pounds/dollars and get 1600MHz.

I can also run Crysis on my computer :) 
    April 9, 2012 6:32:30 PM

you can run crysis on intel 4004 and 4 kb ram on ati mach gpu :o  :o  :o  :o 

:lol: 
    April 9, 2012 8:49:19 PM

Also, forgot to say this:
    Non-"K" processors can overclock, but is much harder, and it's easier to damage your computer. Also, the overclock isn't very high. It's limited. After a certain amount of overclock, it will not work. The i5 2500 can overclock to a MAX of 3.99GHz, but that's it. It's very hard to overclock to that amount, since it is not multiplier overclocking, it is BCLK overclocking, which like I said, is dangerous and difficult. The i5 2500K can overclock to 4.5GHz and beyond!

@serialkiller
    Yup, can run Crysis at 60FPY(Frames Per Year).
    April 9, 2012 8:56:58 PM

obsama1 said:
    Audio doesn't matter. What matters more? Performance or audio? They're both good motherboards, but the ASUS is better(Audio will sound the same). The i5 can handle 1600MHz. If you don't enable XMP in the BIOS, the RAM will be set to a default of 1333MHz, even though it's 1600. Once enabled, the RAM will run at it's intended speed(1600). Overclocking RAM is dangeroud and can fry your mobo. Pay a few extra pounds/dollars and get 1600MHz.

I can also run Crysis on my computer :) 

Asrock Supports Hyper-Threading Technology. Asus only supports multiple AMD GPUs, not Nvidia which is what I want. Asrock has PCI-E 3 slots.

What's better about the Asus one? It has 3 PCI slots rather than 2, 8-channel Audio, and this "- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)" which I think means it keeps your CPU from harm when overclocking it.

Well I'm not entirely sure here. I don't think the Nvidia 500 series supports PCI-E 3.0 anyway, and does the Asus one have hyper-thr--, wait that's an i7 feature so forget that. Only real problem here is, well I'm not even getting multi GPU anyway. The GENUINE problem here is, which one is better for overclocking?
    April 9, 2012 9:06:37 PM

PCI is an old format. It's only used for adding extra USB ports to your computer, WiFi card, etc. If your computer hangs during overclock, ASUS CPR will return your computer to default BIOS values. PCIE-E 3.0 is not very important. Most card barely use PCIE 2.0 fully, but PCIE 3.0 is definitely futureproof. I would get the ASUS one you linked. Reading the reviews people say it's good fot OC'ing, so I'd get the ASUS. :) 
    April 9, 2012 9:15:56 PM

Are you sure? I'm not entirely sure which side to go for now, I like the Asus one because it has 8-channel wifi but the Asrock one apparently has better overclocking. I've read that the Asus one has bad overclocking. Take note this is the LX version, the cheaper one. Have you got any links to reliable sources claiming this exact asus motherboard is good for overclocking?
    April 9, 2012 9:17:34 PM

Lieutenant Awesome said:
    Asrock Supports Hyper-Threading Technology. Asus only supports multiple AMD GPUs, not Nvidia which is what I want. Asrock has PCI-E 3 slots.

What's better about the Asus one? It has 3 PCI slots rather than 2, 8-channel Audio, and this "- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)" which I think means it keeps your CPU from harm when overclocking it.

Well I'm not entirely sure here. I don't think the Nvidia 500 series supports PCI-E 3.0 anyway, and does the Asus one have hyper-thr--, wait that's an i7 feature so forget that. Only real problem here is, well I'm not even getting multi GPU anyway. The GENUINE problem here is, which one is better for overclocking?

My board only says SLI ready, but I have seen others use CF on it without any problems.
    April 9, 2012 9:19:54 PM

No, it is not Gen3.
    April 9, 2012 10:33:14 PM

Personally:

ASUS P8Z68 L VX << ASRock Pro3 Gen3 <<ASRock Extreme 3 Gen3

The Extreme3 is about 120 pounds, but well worth it. If you don't want to get it, the ASRock Pro3 Gen3 all the way.
    April 10, 2012 2:48:42 AM

LOL, no offense, but I'm been trying to tell you that the Pro3 is the winner. :)  :) 

They both overclock the same, but the Pro3 Gen3 offers marginal(small) gains(like .1 better FPS) over the ASUS. ASRock is a subsidiary of ASUS, so it's good quality. Plus, it's cheaper. Just get the Pro3 Gen3. You won't regret it. :) 
    !