Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Not Appearing in Device Manager, AMD Driver Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 6:00:15 PM

Hello. Recently my PC had been getting a variety of BSODs (I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate by the way) and so I uninstalled the AMD drivers (Yes, completely using the normal uninstaller, device manager and Driver Sweeper). That stopped the blue screens, but then when I tried to reinstall the drivers at the end of the installation an error message popped up saying something along the lines of there were no AMD drivers installed or they are broken. In device manager at this point my card (an XFX Radeon HD 6850) was there but had a yellow alert icon thing. So I uninstalled and reinstalled a few times more and the same thing kept happening. Eventually the error message didn't pop up but it just said something went wrong with the installation (as it had also said when the errors popped up). And now, my card does not even appear in the device manager. Thinking it could be a fault with my card or the PCI-E slot I tried an old card, same thing happened, and the other PCI-E slot, same thing happened.

So I'm pretty stressed and stumped at the moment. Any replies are very much appreciated. Thanks.
January 30, 2012 6:04:41 PM

Oh, should also mention that it still outputs video, which I am using right now. Not at a decent resolution mind.
January 30, 2012 6:19:34 PM

Just discovered my sound is also not working. Joy.
Related resources
January 30, 2012 6:28:40 PM

I'm not sure what to make of the video not being seen in the Device manager but i have a thought on your sound....

with most video cards they offer support for audio over HDMI and what im thinking may have happened is windows thinks that the audio is now default from your Video card so you can check that and see if that helps

Has windows not installed Generic video drivers if not you would know windows would be running at 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 that may be the problem with the driver issue with the video card
January 30, 2012 6:32:31 PM

The max resolution is 1400x1050. There is a 'video controller' in device manager but it has the yellow error icon on it and says the device is not configured correctly.
January 30, 2012 7:05:30 PM

Also just updated my BIOS. No use.
January 30, 2012 7:43:44 PM

What is the Specific error message you get when you try to install drivers?
January 30, 2012 8:00:35 PM

'Installation complete (warnings occurred during installation). View log for details.'

I click on 'View Log' but it does nothing.
January 31, 2012 4:57:45 AM

Do you have on board video that you can switch to?

what i would like you to try next is completely taking the video card out starting the computer with another video card or on board video completely remove any drivers you see for video just to be sure and delete any folders amd created or driver downloads you have then put the card back and see what happens
January 31, 2012 8:01:09 AM

secolliyn said:
Do you have on board video that you can switch to?

what i would like you to try next is completely taking the video card out starting the computer with another video card or on board video completely remove any drivers you see for video just to be sure and delete any folders amd created or driver downloads you have then put the card back and see what happens

Yes I have on board video and I tried what you suggested. Again, the other card also has the same problem. The on-board graphics come up with the yellow error icon.
January 31, 2012 9:15:46 AM

Try uninstalling and reinstalling your Chipset drivers
January 31, 2012 10:41:51 AM

secolliyn said:
Try uninstalling and reinstalling your Chipset drivers

No use. :/ 
January 31, 2012 10:50:44 AM

Well, just found something new. There is 1 important update in Windows update. It's called 'ATI Technologies Inc. - Display - AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series'
When I try to install it it fails.
January 31, 2012 6:30:27 PM

you may have to reinstall windows cause i am lost as to what it may be at this point
February 1, 2012 5:16:09 PM

Yeah I reinstalled windows and it works now. However while playing Minecraft and using Skype I got a blue screen...
a c 291 U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 7:07:08 PM

Try memtest. You might have faulty memory.
February 1, 2012 7:41:14 PM

Tried that. Nothing.
!