New HD Recovery Error: "Windows setup could not configure windows to run ...

ENBella

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
Sony Vaio -- Model No. VPCF115FM
OS: Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) Service Pack 1 (build 7601)

The laptop came loaded with Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 2007.

Recently, the computer started indicating an error:

"SMART Failure Predicted on Hard Disk" and it prompted me to boot using F1 and then backup my data.

Step 1: I used Sony Vaio Care to create 2 sets of Recovery Disks and then used Drive Cloner RX to backup all of my data manually and a system image onto a new Seagate external hard drive.

Step 2: I purchased a new Hitachi 750 GB (7200 rpm) 2.5 SATA hard drive from Comp USA. The computer's original hard drive is a Hitachi HTS545050B9SA00 500 GB 5200 rpm.

Step 3: I removed the original hard drive and installed the new one. Then, inserted Recovery Disk 1 and then Disk 2. After the prompt to restart the computer to finalize Windows setup I received this error message:

"Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware."

I then click okay and subsequently receive this message:

"Windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation."

Question:

Is anyone familiar with this?
If so, is there a work around to properly load windows 7 in this instance?

Also:

1. Is there a way to boot using the system image from my external drive and re-install that way? If so, what are the best steps?

2. Or, can I use my recovery disks and some type of work around to re-install the OS and factory software?

Note: There are no outstanding issues with the laptop. The computer came preloaded with Windows 7; I have the product key on the computer base. It also came loaded with Microsoft Office, but I don't have the key for that? Sony Vaio laptops don't come with physical CD's -- the data is on a partition within the hard drive -- and you have to create the mfg disks yourself.

Sony Vaio Hard Drive Failure, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Smart Failure, Windows Could Not Complete the Installation, Windows Setup Could Not Configure Windows to Run on this Computer, Windows 7, Sony Vaio Hard Disk Failure, Sony Viao Laptop

meggle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012

Did this work for you?

I am in the exact same situation and I thought for sure this would be what fixed my problem but I can NOT get it to work. I keep getting the "Windows Setup can not configure Windows on this computer's hardware" error.

In a last-ditch effort I decided to try the BIOS modification route. This doesn't even seem to be possible for me. It doesn't even mention RAID or AHCI or IDE anywhere in the setup utility.

ETA: Technically I'm not in EXACTLY the same situation - my hard drive was too fried to let me create recovery disks so I had to order mine from Sony. However, that's how I'm trying to restore the new drive. My new hard drive is a WD Scorpio Blue 1TB drive.

Any advice or help will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I am also in the same position: recovery disks from Sony, new WD 500GB Scorpio Blue. Looked at many threads on the Net all pointing to the Intel drivers which I have down loaded and tried to install using a Win 7 Disk and the Load Drivers option. Seems to do something but no confirmation drivers loaded and still the same error message. I have tried using a Home Prem SP1 disk but of course you cant 'upgrade' from the disk, it has to be done from within Windows which I cant boot into.

So can anyone else contribute to the solution for this problem.

Geoff Davis

meggle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
Is your new HD larger capacity than the original one? I'm just curious if this is caused by the increase in drive size or if *any* newer HD will cause this. I'm toying with the idea of buying a new 500GB drive (because that's what was in my system) and trying the restore again and, if it works, upgrading to SP1 and creating my own restore disks and THEN trying to put in the 1TB drive. I should note that even though my system had SP1 on it (which supposedly fixes this issue), it doesn't matter because I was unable to create my own restore disks. The Sony restore disks DO NOT have SP1, which is why I'm having this problem.

I have the new driver from Intel but I CAN NOT get it to properly load or update while using the Sony Recovery disks. A friend of mine recently sent me a link to this page:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248995/how_to_install_windows_7_without_the_disc.html

This tells you how to create your own Windows install disks, assuming you already have a legitimate product key that you can use to activate the software. This is what I am going to try next. I will let you know if I have any luck.

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
HD is same size. The issue is that the new drive uses what they call 'Advanced Format'. This basically to do with sector size; old disks are 512B advanced disks are 4KB. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

The original restore disks that I purchased have Win 7 Home Prem and will only talk to Old 512 Sector size. SP1 on the other hand is fine with Advanced Sector size.

So there is a catch 22, if you want to install from the original restore disks you cant do it to an advanced format drive. And you cant seem to apply the Intel drivers that are required once the intallation has been done.

It seems the only option is to download and install Home Prem SP1, using the Prod Key on bottom of Vaio and then run through all the driver downloads etc etc etc. Which for me means I have wasted £46 on a set of restore disks that can never be used.

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I had already downloaded and burnt a DVD from the same source you suggested and I have just tried to install from it. However, the installation aborted due to an error, possible missing file or corruption is said.

I would be interested to know how you got on with your download and installation.

meggle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
I'll let you know how it goes.

I've also emailed Sony support (I had previously been communicating with them about this problem) and told them I want them to send me new restore disks with SP1. I doubt they will do it, but it doesn't hurt to ask! ;-) I explained the catch-22 of the situation and pointed out that I've basically paid for recovery disks that are obsolete. I'll let you know what they say.

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I actually spoke to the Vaio-Link support team about what I was going to do so they new I was trying to restore to a new disk but never mentioned the 'Catch 22'. I have a case # and I also have an email from them saying that the Restore Disks were compatible with my model of Vaio.

I emailed them on Sunday with screen grabs of the two different errors (this was before I knew the reason) needless to say there has been no response yet.

I will try and phone them Tuesday and see if I can get any comment from them and whether or not they can issue a SP1 set of disks.

meggle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
They've answered me and told me no. They said I would have to install Win 7 as originally provided and upgrade to SP1 once the restore was complete. This just proves they don't pay attention as the whole email chain is about the fact that the restore CAN'T complete... But then they wrote a whole paragraph about how I could purchase additional items from Sony. SO helpful. Sigh.

I've downloaded the ISO file but haven't yet attempted the install. I'll let you know if it works or not.

meggle

Honorable
Jul 24, 2012
IT WORKED!!!!

I successfully created a Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1 installation disc. My product key worked and installation completed without ANY problems. I am so excited!!

However, Sony is continuing to cause problems and give me headaches. Since I had to do a clean installation, I of course do not have any of the Sony software that was originally on the Vaio. This is everything from the Vaio Update service to video card drivers and the software for the Blu-ray drive. I can download software and drivers from Sony's support site for my model, but get this: one of the files/programs I need is called the Sony Shared Library. I have to have this installed before I can install many of the other Sony updates and drivers. It won't install. Not only won't it install, but it gives me a message saying, "This update only runs on Microsoft Windows Vista, Microsoft Windows 7".

Sigh. Looks like I get to have yet another chat with Sony "Support".

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Burning a DVD as I write. Will update you.

So it looks like another Catch22 then, what a Bummer.

I am looking to see if I can get a Non-Advanced Format HD

Let me know how you get on if you contact Sony, If I can get to the same stage as you I will also contact them.

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
I too have installed SP1 without issues.

However, just to cloud the issue, I manged to install the Sony SHared Library without any problems. The only thing is what does it do?

the Boffin

Honorable
Sep 3, 2012
Further Update:

1) Clean install of W7 Home Prem downloaded from digitalriver. Laptop ran ok after this install
2) Installed all Windows Updates (125!!)
3) From within WIN7 Inseted disk 1 of the recovery disks, this runs to a recovery console where you can install drivers and applications supplied with PC.
4) Selectively installed various drivers
5) Ran disc again and installed various applications including Vaio Update
6) Ran Vaio Update, updated as suggested but one or two failed. In particular the Wallpaper Collection and the Graphics Driver. Decided to forget about Wallpaper but for Graphics went to Sony.co.uk support and downloaded and installed the NVidia Graphics driver which did install Ok.
7) Still have an error in Device Manager "Base System Device" but it doesnt seem to causing a problem.