Ivy Bridge new build. Feedback please

zeeeeeeebra

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I'm trying to do build for future over-clocking, and possible SLI in the future. Trying to keep it as quiet as possible.

CPU: I5-3570K
COOLER: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H40
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V PRO
PSU: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750M
GFX: MSI 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC
DVD: Samsung WriteMaster
HDD: Western Digital WD5000AZRX Caviar Green
Case: Zalman z11 plus
Monitor: 21.5" Acer S221HQLbid LED Monitor

I know I could possibly wait for the mid range kepler cards, but without a clear release date or price, think I'd get inpatient.

Is there anything I should change?

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

1) What you want to do with your PC
2) What kind of GPU
3) With that monitor I guess that you will play in 1600x1200 wich require a very low priced GPU, wouldn't worth it to go sli/CF IMO just get a good mid/high range GPU and replace it in a few years and save yourself the trouble of going sli/CF. I went for a 8800gtx on that kind of acer monitor and I just felt the need to replace that GPU last year. below 1080p resolution are easy to run at max quality.

Didn't checked for that monitor resolution but if tis a 1080p don,t get it. 1080p below 23" are too short, you might hate to read website in 1080p with such a small monitor. For a 1600-1200rez its perfect.

i won't recommend HXX coolers.hyper 212 EVO is enough to reach 4.5ghz.great value product-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099
for $40 more,you can get a good 7870-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102983
it beats gtx 580(in most cases)-
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7870-review-benchmark,3148-6.html
it is a newer card with 28nm technology.less heat,power consumption,more power and overclocking which means more fun!!
your psu is enough to CF 7870.
other things are great!

zeeeeeeebra

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
It will be mainly for gaming. The GPU is a MSI 1280MB GeForce GTX 570 Twin Frozr III Power Edition OC.

This is just the build for now. I will be planning on getting a dual monitor set up eventually. May just get a Philips 244E1SB 24 inch LCD Monitor instead of the Acer for now.

AgentLozen

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
(edit: I see a little bit of my post has been answered already.)
Doing a little hardware extrapolation to predict what your computer will be like in the future, huh? That's cool, but you don't seem to be factoring it into your build completely.

Firstly, it would be great to know what sort of budget you have for your computer. And also, it would recommending components easier if a knew a little more about your intentions. I'm assuming your a gamer? Otherwise, you're an applied biological theory major and need lots of GPU power for CUDA based calculations.

I can help criticize your build a little bit right now though. I see a few little things you should reconsider.

We actually know more (factually) about Nvidia Kepler cards than we do Ivy Bridge. You seem to be reluctant to put one in this build though. I would say, shoot for a GeForce GTX 670. If the 670 is anything like the 680 (which it should be), it will be a lean, mean fighting machine at a reasonable price (for its tier of muscle).

For your choice of hard drive, have you considered an SSD? They're all the rage these days for gamers and casual users alike. I love watching their prices drop while their speed and reliability improve. I heard a rumor that Intel will be releasing their next gen SSD330 series soon. Intel has a reputation for good, reliable SSDs. Otherwise, OCZ just released their Vertex 4s. In both cases, everything is built off of in-house components which should help bring the price down even further. Even if you feel an SSD is a little too expensive now, just wait and see what the market looks like in June or July when Ivy Bridge is readily available.

The rest of the build looks pretty sound. Its never a really terrific idea to build a PC based on crystal ball speculation. Intel could end up delaying Ivy Bridge again until Q3 2012 and by that time, maybe AMD will have an Intel killer on their hands with their next gen APUs (I'm being a little facetious). Good luck !

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

QFT. I was suposed to buy my new build in late december early janurary, heard about ivy-bridge and chose to wait. So now were early april and intel keep delaying it. Some website talk about late april early may and some other talk about june. I'll might wait because I'm going for a 5000$ build but for a mid range PC I wouldn't wait for the ivy-bridge especialy since the benchmark show about a 10% and less increase for gaming.

The i5-2500k will remain a top CPU for gamer even after the ivy-bridge release. You'll probably upgrade your 570s sli with some 700s sli GPU and still be using an i5-2500k.

zeeeeeeebra

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
I'm mainly a gamer. Battlefield 3, future MMO's. etc etc

I'm not reluctant about putting a Kepler in the build. Just the rumours and "leaks" all point to Ivy Bridge being out at the end of this month, whilst could be waiting till June/July for the Kepler cards within my price range, maybe more. If the mid range Kepler cards were coming out sooner, then maybe I'd wait.

I have considered a SSD, how ever at the moment I would only be able to afford getting a 64gb or less, which would probably only support putting my windows boot on and a few games. So I thought it would be pointless till I could afford a larger SSD.

My budget is £800, not including the monitor. As I do have a spare monitor for the time being. which works out just over $1,250.

Intel delayed the release of Ivy Bridge? Almost a year ago Ivy Bridge was projected to be released sometime in April/May of 2012. It's due out this April 29th.

venur

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011

Personaly I'd go with a mid range range hd7000s over a Nvidia 500 but if your not a fan of radeon cards, yes waiting for the mid range 600's might be a good thing to do.

For SSD a rule of thumb is to not buy a cheaper GPU/CPU or monitor in order to get one. Its easy to add a SSD to your system later on (or ask for one as your chrismass gift).

Please stop. The monitor the OP is getting is 1920x1080, and no 21.5" is not too small for that resolution. And again Ivy Bridge hasn't been delayed unless you plan on purchasing an Ivy Bridge laptop.

Two obvious changes I would make on that build.

First off the Asus Pro is a hose job. This Asus board always runs cheaper and does everything the Pro does.

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V/
ASUS P8Z77-V

or this board down below...

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z77%20Extreme4 $160 +/- $15 is a close guess imo
ASRock Z77 Extreme4

No need for water cooling. Ivy Bridge will run as cool if not cooler than Sandy Bridge. Look to get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO CPU Cooler.

For a gpu look at any of the Nvidia 6xxx series cards or any of the AMD 7xxx cards like the AMD 7870. Ivy Bridge + new gen card + Z77 board = PCI-E 3.0

exactly!in fact,a smaller monitor(21~24")with 1080p res provides sharper images due to high pixel density.there's no problem with a 21.5" monitor.

+1

That's one of the main reasons I have a 21.5" monitor....that, desk space, and I only play FPS and I don't want to have to move my head back and forth to cover the screen.

zeeeeeeebra

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012
Cheers for the answers about the monitor. We had 21" HD monitors my workplace, So I was wondering if that was truly an issue.

I certainly think I will try and wait for a mid range 6XX series. This won't be built up till start of next month then. From what iv'e read, in the past Nvida announce the top end card first then release the lower range cards once every month. So if they stay true to form, then the 670 should be announced end of this month and the 660 at the end of May.

I'm reluctant to get a 7870, looking at a few reviews, the factory OC 560/570 cards beat, or come close to beating the factory OC 7870 cards, for a lot cheaper.

EVGA 560TI 448 Classified
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/36565-evga-geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-classified/?page=6

vs

PowerColor HD 7870 PCS+ and Gigabyte HD 7870 OC

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/36677-gigabyte-hd-7870-oc-powercolor-hd-7870-pcs/?page=7

Don't think the AMD's have £80s worth of difference at the resolution I'm going to be playing.

I'll deffo go from watercooled to air cooled. and i won't be getting the pro mobo.