Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Seasonic PSU 860W almost DoA?

Last response: in Components
July 20, 2012 5:39:20 PM

Yesterday I had this new desktop PC built by a technician - I'm gonna put the specs (bought separately) below. The machine was running for some minutes, and a little bit after windows got installed (and the guy left, lol) , I turned it off and next time I'm trying, I can't turn it on anymore. This Surge Protector I was using (sort of an old one) won't work anymore.
Then I tried to plug my computer direcly to the outlet (110V), nothing again. I also checked the power lights/LEDs on the PSU - not turning on either.
Is there any chance something else other than a Dead PSU is the cause of this?

Specs:

Intel i7 3930k
ASUS P9X79 DELUXE
Sapphire Radeon HD 7750
HD WD 1TB Caviar Green
Corsair Vengeance 3x4GB (I bought 4, but one of them was causing blue screen)
Crucial 128GB M4 SSD
Corsair Hydro-series H100 Cooler

More about : seasonic psu 860w doa

a c 700 ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 6:25:19 PM

Really sounds like a bad PSU if there is power on the wall socket.
m
l
July 20, 2012 6:34:18 PM

Any chance the old Surge Protector did something to the PSU and I'm not warranty-protected anymore?
m
l
Related resources
a c 700 ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 6:49:28 PM

I do not believe so.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 8:44:04 PM

Power cord?

Did you open the case and look at the motherboard. That motherboard has some LEDs that light up when it is getting power. I don't recall an LED on the PSU itself, so I'm not sure what you're looking at.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 8:50:40 PM

Temile said:
I don't recall an LED on the PSU itself, so I'm not sure what you're looking at.

Some PSUs have a 5VSB LED but those are rare and would be redundant since nearly all motherboards have one of their own.

Another silly thing to verify is the PSUs hard-switch and possibly the 115/230V switch if applicable.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 8:58:15 PM

InvalidError said:
Some PSUs have a 5VSB LED but those are rare and would be redundant since nearly all motherboards have one of their own.

Another silly thing to verify is the PSUs hard-switch and possibly the 115/230V switch if applicable.

Yeah, but I have that psu and I don't remember an LED. Doesn't mean it isn't there...haven't looked at it lately.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 10:17:08 PM

It might be worth checking the front button and led panel connections, sometime people don't push the connection down far enough.
m
l
July 20, 2012 11:31:11 PM

Temile said:
Yeah, but I have that psu and I don't remember an LED. Doesn't mean it isn't there...haven't looked at it lately.

Yeah, I meant the Mobo LEDs, my bad. the PSU doesn't have any leds or anything. I tried the paper clip test on the PSU, didn't work as well.

InvalidError,
this PSU is Full-Range, there is no Voltage Switch.
m
l
July 20, 2012 11:38:12 PM

hairystuff said:
It might be worth checking the front button and led panel connections, sometime people don't push the connection down far enough.

Seems firm enough. And I mean, the 1st time it shut down was 0,5 second after turning it on (The Cooler with the Blue LED e.g. worked for a second before it shut down forever). I'm having a bad time finding another PC to try it just to be 100% sure. If I don't till monday, I'm sending it back to the retailer to get it checked and use the warranty for a new one.
m
l

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
July 20, 2012 11:46:46 PM

You could do a PSU stand-alone power-on test by disconnecting everything except Molex fans from it and then shorting the soft-on wire (green) on the ATX20/24 connector to ground. If the PSU is at least not completely shot, the fans should spin up.

If you still get no reaction, the PSU might have blown its fuse.
July 20, 2012 11:56:32 PM

InvalidError said:
You could do a PSU stand-alone power-on test by disconnecting everything except Molex fans from it and then shorting the soft-on wire (green) on the ATX20/24 connector to ground. If the PSU is at least not completely shot, the fans should spin up.

If you still get no reaction, the PSU might have blown its fuse.

Like the paper clip test works the same way? I left the Mobo (20/24) and CPU pins on the PSU, removed the Mobo end of the 20/24, and shortened it with a small paper clip on the green and black cables (4th and 6th or 7th pin). Nothing happened - PSU remained dead, as did the fans.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2012 12:05:24 AM

If you've done all the following tests then you can be pretty sure that the PSU has failed.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2012 12:07:04 AM

Kramer06 said:
Like the paper clip test works the same way?

That is exactly what the paper clip test is/does.
m
l
July 21, 2012 2:15:09 AM

I guess that's it for now then. Thanks for the help guys (New here!)
I should return it on Monday and wait for a new one - let's hope none of the other PC components got damaged and the fixed PSU will make this baby work.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
July 21, 2012 6:57:16 AM

You had a decent branded psu with plenty of protection so your components should be good, the only time I've ever had components burn is when extreme amounts of humidity where involved
m
l
July 28, 2012 12:41:26 PM

Best answer selected by Kramer06.
m
l
July 28, 2012 12:43:14 PM

After all, it was a bad PSU. I proceeded to the RMA, and the new one should arrive today. They didn't have the same model, so I got a 760W instead (also Seasonic, 80 Gold). Since I'm using just a 'soft' Video Card, that 760W should be enough for my configuration, even OC'ing it.

m
l
!