Sign in with
Your question

First new build ~$1000 Gaming PC, need advice

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 5:04:47 PM

Hello forum!

Since I didn't really get into building my own computer until now, i have mostly used Toms Hardware and an experienced friend. However, i would like to now what you have to say to my build, the budget can't go much higher than it is right now, as I am already blowing my wallet.

Approximate Purchase Date: This Month

Budget Range: Max. $1100, converting from DKK, Danish Crowns

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, surfing, watching movies, server hosting, minor video editing

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, case, mouse-mat, optical drive

Preferred Website for Parts: edbpriser.dk

Parts Preferences: -

Overclocking: Maybe, problaly yes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Additional Comments:

Specs so far:

Already owned:
Case - NXT Apollo
Disk Drive - ?, but it works
Need to buy:
Mobo - ASROCK P67 Pro3 SE
CPU - Core i5 I5-2500K 6MB
CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper TX 3
Power - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX650 V2
Memory - Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 4 GB
Video Card - MSI R7850 Twin Frozr 2GD5/OC (2 GB)
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB

I've been wondering a bit about the mobo, TomsHardware said it limited opportunites for OC, so should i invest a few extra bucks in a better mobo?

Any advice or guidance will be appreciated:-)

April 7, 2012 6:03:39 PM

Thumbs up.
Just change the Mobo to an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 and your GPU to something made by nVidia (whatever floats your budget, they just make better GPUs)
April 7, 2012 6:04:53 PM

There is nothing out right now in the 7850s price range that outperforms it.
Related resources
April 7, 2012 6:12:28 PM

azeem40 said:
There is nothing out right now in the 7850s price range that outperforms it.

A GTX 570 does, b*tch
April 7, 2012 6:13:12 PM

If you look at the prices, the 570 is $300. Learn to give better advice.
April 7, 2012 6:16:58 PM

azeem40 said:
If you look at the prices, the 570 is $300. Learn to give better advice.

Its only a 50 dollar difference for a huge graphics boost
April 7, 2012 7:48:20 PM

benjamincakir said:
Thumbs up.
Just change the Mobo to an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 and your GPU to something made by nVidia (whatever floats your budget, they just make better GPUs)

Thank you very much for your advice I will consider it.
Next time you post though, please don't prompt for thumps up or call other users b*tches.
April 7, 2012 7:59:28 PM

benjamincakir said:
Its only a 50 dollar difference for a huge graphics boost

I can't really agree with you, if anything, i would upgrade to 7870.
April 7, 2012 8:46:43 PM

How much does your build currently cost?
April 7, 2012 10:18:46 PM

Nvidia has discovered this amazing thing that ati/amd has yet to learn - its called DRIVERS. IT MAKES THEIR STUFF WORK. 100% chance you will run into some kind of weird bug with an ati card in whatever scenario, and find that everyone has that same problem, and then they will release a driver to 'fix' it and nothing gets better. It has been that way for 10 years, its not going to change anytime soon. Stay as far away from ati if you want a computer that doesnt make you want to pound your head into your keyboard
April 7, 2012 11:37:57 PM

VMord said:
Thank you very much for your advice I will consider it.
Next time you post though, please don't prompt for thumps up or call other users b*tches.

I meant thumbs up for you for selecting good parts.
April 7, 2012 11:50:51 PM

dkcomputer said:
Nvidia has discovered this amazing thing that ati/amd has yet to learn - its called DRIVERS. IT MAKES THEIR STUFF WORK. 100% chance you will run into some kind of weird bug with an ati card in whatever scenario, and find that everyone has that same problem, and then they will release a driver to 'fix' it and nothing gets better. It has been that way for 10 years, its not going to change anytime soon. Stay as far away from ati if you want a computer that doesnt make you want to pound your head into your keyboard

All NVIDIA fan boys use this as an excuse. I have been using AMD all my life and have NEVER had driver issues.
April 8, 2012 10:51:21 AM

I'm pretty sure about the graphics, but what I really need to find is a good motherboard that will go with my rig, and will be cabable of overclocking the 2500k. I really don't want to pay for a lot of features that I'm never going to use anyway, but at the same time, it's gotta be reliable and cabable of OC.
April 8, 2012 10:57:00 AM

azeem40 said:
How much does your build currently cost?

~$825 converted from DKK, WITHOUT calculating the mobo, as i haven't figured that part out yet, and would very much like advice
!