Sign in with
Your question

Is a uprage needed for me?

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 5:14:30 PM

I'll cut straight to it, when i play games, well recent one's DX11 etc i have this problem that when i turn the camera around or look around the game stutter's while it seem's to load textures and what not in, so my question is, what component/components do i need to upgrade here to stop that from happening, or is it just the game?

Intel i7 870 2.9ghz
Dell 0X231R Motherboard (which i thought may be the problem)
12GB RAM 1333Mhz (Only working at about 1000 though which i think is because of above)
Western Digital Caviar SATA II 1TB
Nvidia GTX 680 2Gb
Antec 650w
Win7 64bit

Any Idea's?

More about : uprage needed

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 7:59:59 PM

Have you tried attacking the software angle?

Make sure you have all current drivers for the new video card...

Worst case scenario, I would try backing up all your files and doing a clean install of Windows before I run out and buy new parts.. It could be a problem in the registry.

What games are you playing? Is it happening on just one game or many games? (Meaning are you sure the game isn't the problem?)

If that doesn't solve the problem (and it may not). I would buy an LGA 1155 board with an i5 2500k... But thats your call. Like I said, eliminate software issues before running out and buying new parts.
April 7, 2012 10:28:27 PM

Go to Dell and input the mobo specs to download all the latest drivers for that mobo and install them. Then, do the same at Nvidia's website.

Make sure there are no dust bunnies in your case. Your computer will slow if it gets hot and will cause these issues. (I blow mine out with a 90psi air hose. If you sue this method, Be sure to hold the fan blades or the pressure will snap them off. Just a redneck way to get all the dust out of the system. Works much better than those expensive cans and any vacuum.)
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 10:39:14 PM

what's you memory configuration ? 12g in 4 slots doesn't sound right.

try running your 2 top sized sticks in dual channel mode. ( matched set )

what is the memory ?

and it's probably trying to default to 1066. the board runs 1066/1333
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 10:45:36 PM

jaxz said:
I'll cut straight to it, when i play games, well recent one's DX11 etc i have this problem that when i turn the camera around or look around the game stutter's while it seem's to load textures and what not in, so my question is, what component/components do i need to upgrade here to stop that from happening, or is it just the game?

Intel i7 870 2.9ghz
Dell 0X231R Motherboard (which i thought may be the problem)
12GB RAM 1333Mhz (Only working at about 1000 though which i think is because of above)
Western Digital Caviar SATA II 1TB
Nvidia GTX 680 2Gb
Antec 650w
Win7 64bit

Any Idea's?

The GTX680 tries to save energy when it looks like it does not need to work hard.
When you shift from a static display to move the camera, it needs to work harder, but is not prepared to do so immediately.
I saw this in civ4 when shifting from a static view to scrolling the map.
Go to the nvidia control panel, and for your game, change powermanagement mode from adaptive to prefer maximum performance.
I also changed the maximum prerendered frames from use 3d app setting to 2.
I suspect the power change alone would do it, but both changes did it for me.
April 7, 2012 10:55:16 PM

swifty_morgan said:
what's you memory configuration ? 12g in 4 slots doesn't sound right.

try running your 2 top sized sticks in dual channel mode. ( matched set )

what is the memory ?

and it's probably trying to default to 1066. the board runs 1066/1333

12GB in 3 slots does. It has 4 slots, but only 3 are populated I would assume.
April 7, 2012 11:18:49 PM

if you can find a cheap decent 1156 mobo (maybe ebay) get it so you can overclock your cpu and with the ram only run 2 sticks or 4 sticks otherwise not running dual channel set the xmp profile for your ram in the bios so it runs correctly if there is the option on the dell mobo, also 12 gig is an unusual figure for that board is one of the stick a 1066 part if so the rest will drop to that speed. other than that your rigs fine no need for cpu change
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 11:24:04 PM

Some points:

- enable adaptive VSYNC
- GTX680 might have issues to be fixed in new drivers
- your motherboard is DUAL CHANNEL.
- your motherboard doesn't seem that great compared to the other parts you have. You may wish to spend $150+ since you've already spent the money and get a good Asus/Gigabyte motherboard
April 7, 2012 11:34:37 PM

photonboy said:
Some points:

- enable adaptive VSYNC
- GTX680 might have issues to be fixed in new drivers
- your motherboard is DUAL CHANNEL.
- your motherboard doesn't seem that great compared to the other parts you have. You may wish to spend $150+ since you've already spent the money and get a good Asus/Gigabyte motherboard

1. Good thing, didn't think about that.
2. Figured that.
3. Yea, it will revert to single channel if 3 are populated. Even so not much difference in single vs dual channel. And I mean minimal.
4. Definitely not, even so I wouldn't buy an 1156. Its a dead socket, thanks to Intel. Better off going to 1155 and a new CPU if you're going thru all that trouble.
April 8, 2012 3:09:11 AM

Ok, few answer's for ya here, first off my RAM is 2 slot's of Crucial 4gig and 2 slots of samsung 2gig, i did buy some Corsair XMS3 1600 but it's spazzed out and kept getting blue screen.

I have got all the up to date driver's on everything as much as i could find, & recently did a new install

I recently put a sound card in and put some new thermal compound on CPU & blew out all dust i could see

I have the GTX680 in "MAX" mode rather than adaptive on all game's i play and the thing is once it's actualy loaded what it need's to it's smooth no matter where i look, it's just the first time i look in a certain place, the main game it does it in is Batman Arkham City with tesselation etc on, other game's do it like BF3 and ME3 but not as bad, but still there.

I have seen a motherboard, a "Asus Maximus III Gene" was thinking of getting mainly cause it would work with my CPU, don't really wanna have to buy another one (CPU), any thought's?
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 3:20:47 AM

yeah, so, did you pull the odd ram and run the other 2 in dual channel mode at the right speed ?
April 8, 2012 3:27:52 AM

jaxz said:
Ok, few answer's for ya here, first off my RAM is 2 slot's of Crucial 4gig and 2 slots of samsung 2gig, i did buy some Corsair XMS3 1600 but it's spazzed out and kept getting blue screen.

I have got all the up to date driver's on everything as much as i could find, & recently did a new install

I recently put a sound card in and put some new thermal compound on CPU & blew out all dust i could see

I have the GTX680 in "MAX" mode rather than adaptive on all game's i play and the thing is once it's actualy loaded what it need's to it's smooth no matter where i look, it's just the first time i look in a certain place, the main game it does it in is Batman Arkham City with tesselation etc on, other game's do it like BF3 and ME3 but not as bad, but still there.

I have seen a motherboard, a "Asus Maximus III Gene" was thinking of getting mainly cause it would work with my CPU, don't really wanna have to buy another one (CPU), any thought's?

Did you run memtest86 on the RAM? Run it one stick at a time.

In theory, your CPU and Mobo despite being last generation should be sufficient for smooth gameplay. The problems you are experiencing may be from as already pointed out issues with the new video card that will be fixed in time with driver updates.

I absolutely would not buy an 1156 board, like I said, its a dead socket. Honestly though, I wouldn't have spent 500 dollars on a brand new video card to stick on a prior generation mobo+CPU, that wasn't the wisest financial investment, but its done.
April 8, 2012 10:40:17 PM

swifty_morgan said:
yeah, so, did you pull the odd ram and run the other 2 in dual channel mode at the right speed ?

How do i know or make the RAM run in dual channel mode? my motherbaord is crap so doesn't let me change anything.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to take the samsung RAM out because i looked on "speccy" and it say's my newer Crucial RAM has 7 Jedecs? each and the old samsung RAM has only 3 each, so could it be slowing it down?

& yeah maybe it wasn't the best choice but didn't think my CPU was that bad, but when i have the money i'm actualy going to build a proper computer myself, the one i have now i bought from Dell, upgraded it and i just wanted the 680 there ready for SLi on the one i intend to build.

Yes i ran the memtest thing & all was good.
April 8, 2012 10:55:27 PM

jaxz said:
How do i know or make the RAM run in dual channel mode? my motherbaord is crap so doesn't let me change anything.

I was thinking maybe it would be a good idea to take the samsung RAM out because i looked on "speccy" and it say's my newer Crucial RAM has 7 Jedecs? each and the old samsung RAM has only 3 each, so could it be slowing it down?

& yeah maybe it wasn't the best choice but didn't think my CPU was that bad, but when i have the money i'm actualy going to build a proper computer myself, the one i have now i bought from Dell, upgraded it and i just wanted the 680 there ready for SLi on the one i intend to build.

Yes i ran the memtest thing & all was good.

To run in dual channel mode you need to use 2 or 4 RAM sticks, if you populate 3 slots it will revert to single channel mode. But again, there is almost zero difference in single channel vs dual channel. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/PARALLEL-PROCESSING...

If you want to put it in dual channel, take one of the sticks out and populate slots 1 and 3. or add a 4th stick. Ideally, all the RAM should be identical in voltage, clock speed and capacity.

No your CPU isn't that bad, in fact its pretty good. but its really not an appropriate match with a new 680. While gaming quality is heavily influenced by graphics cards, its not the only deciding factor.
April 9, 2012 2:34:13 PM

All four slot's are populated so i guessing i running in dual channel, So each slot doesn't work with the one next to it rather the one after? so like 1 & 3, 2 & 4?
April 9, 2012 4:44:05 PM

if that's the case, the ram slots are typically color coded
a c 83 B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 6:04:49 PM

jaxz said:
All four slot's are populated so i guessing i running in dual channel, So each slot doesn't work with the one next to it rather the one after? so like 1 & 3, 2 & 4?

Your motherboard manual will identify for you which ram slots should be populated first, and which pair are for each channel.
If the sticks are of different sizes, you want the same total size mounted in each channel.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 8:15:30 PM

I can't believe you're that darn stubborn. Pull all the ram and put the two that are the same in the appropriate slots so it will run in dual channel mode. If you have 2 4gig sticks run them together. LOOK IN THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL to find out what the correct slots are to run in dual channel mode. Make sure they are running right in the BIOS. No brainer for most people.
April 10, 2012 2:13:53 PM

swifty_morgan said:
I can't believe you're that darn stubborn. Pull all the ram and put the two that are the same in the appropriate slots so it will run in dual channel mode. If you have 2 4gig sticks run them together. LOOK IN THE MOTHERBOARD MANUAL to find out what the correct slots are to run in dual channel mode. Make sure they are running right in the BIOS. No brainer for most people.

Erm yes well thank's for that, i was just asking, as it's been said it doesn't make much difference wether it's dual or single so i'm not that concerned, just trying to learn, glad it's not from people like you though.

Thank's to everyone else though, i'm sure i wil figure it out.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2012 9:27:19 PM

oblivious!
April 10, 2012 9:30:36 PM

swifty_morgan said:
oblivious!

Rude. I agree with him, you're out of line.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 10, 2012 10:35:48 PM

i don't care if you think it's rude. put yourself in my place. you try to help and get blown off. i wish i could say i could care less at this point whether or not he gets his machine running right, but....................
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2012 1:08:27 AM

If your money is burning a hole in your pocket, upgrade!
!