First build keeps shutting down/restarting

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hello!

After getting a few encouraging tips, I have decided to build my own system. I just received the last parts this morning and tried to assemble the system. First of all, here's the list of parts:

Case - Streacom F1C
Power Supply - Streacom PicoPsu 150W + 150W Adapter Power Kit (12V, 12.5A)
Motherboard - Zotac H61-ITX-A-E
CPU - Intel Core i5 2405S (energy efficient to 65W, graphics Intel HD 3000)
Cooler - Scythe Kozuti 1000
RAM - GSkill 2x4GB
HDD SDD - SanDisk Ultra 60Gb

After assembling the system, I have installed Windows 7 Home Edition 64-bit and started experiencing some weird problems. Once installed, the system would reboot a few times randomly in the middle of the starting process... I thought that was usual, but then the system would just shut down in the middle of software installation processes. I have updated the drivers manually, but once I open google chrome or do something more memory hungry - the PC would just shut down or try to restart. i thought it might be a PSU problem, but if i don't do much, just scroll through folders, the system would hold together and not restart, only when some apps are opened it starts behaving weirdly... I have tested the CPU temperatures, and each of the four cores measures at 30C. I have also removed the mobo from the case to see if it was the shortcutting issues, but still the same persisted... I am really confused at this point and have no idea how to proceed.... Maybe the voltages are not compatible?.... I'd grateful for any ideas out there!

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I have also tried running Ubuntu live cd from USB with the SSD detached, but seems to be the same result - the pc shuts down after the ubuntu splash screen and a few loading lines...

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Sounds like a RAM issue. But it could also be a PSU issue. Try running it with 1 stick of RAM first, if the issue persists, try to get a different PSU.

On another note, is that the only hard drive you have? Where do you put all your stuff?!

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I will try changing the RAM's and slots, although I have ran a memtest86 on both and it seems to have no errors.

It was jsut an initial start-up, I installed only windows, but I do have another 500GB hdd for my disposal, I will try to install windows on it then.

Regarding the PSU, do you think the voltage is too low or not enough watt? I only have the CPU, which is limited to 65W, no graphics card, and once in windows I can see that the W does not reach 10w when i just scroll around... but once i try opening an app, it goes off

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
By the way, when I plug it the ac/dc into the pico psu, I can see a green light on my motherboard to light up but then disappear after 5 seconds, as if it was not supplying energy... but then i press the on button, two green lights light up... Sorry if it is all not clear enough, but I really hope to solve this asap, as I running out of time to change the parts by returning them.

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I also tried running prime95 and selecting Small FFTs, but once I press run, the computer shutsdown/restarts immediately, what could be the problem of that?

nosnaw

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I'm currently experiencing the same issue as you. Ended up replacing the mobo and using a lower speed RAM, but it would still cut out during installation. Tested the HDD and that was fine so the last thing is the PSU. I am sending the PSU back to be checked and replaced.

But did you end up resolving your issue? was it the PSU?

edvardasm

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Hey, yes it was the faulty PSU! I have sent mine back an order a new one, less powerful, but a more known brand and it works like a charm now :)

samson080808

Honorable
May 10, 2012
Hi, I am having the exact same problem with the Streacom PicoPSU. Looks like I'm gonna have to get mine changed too. Which one did you get in the end and where did you buy it from? I'm in the UK and struggling to find sellers.

Thanks!