Computer keeps freezing. please help.

logan2

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hi, I recently bought a refurbished computer. When it arrived after plugging it in and turning it on, the integrated graphics card blew. Which wasn't the biggest deal for me as I was going to get another one anyways. So I went out and purchased a hd 6770 and a 500W PSU for it as it requires a 450W+. after installing all of those correctly, the computer can only last about 3-10 minutes max turned on. usually when I'm doing programs such as windows update and my antivirus. While in safe mode, it typically lasts much longer, but still ends up freezing. occasionally It will BSOD and i'll get various reports. But it's only happened a few times, out of the 20 + freezes. I checked the heat levels with my palm and it doesn't seem very hot as I also have 4 fans in the pc. I'm getting very tired of toying around with it and some expert help would be great.

My specs are:
Windows 7 64-bit
Phenom 2 x4 830
1 TB HD
Radeon HD 6770
(idk the motherboard)

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
Your hand is not a good indicator of heat. Download Core Temp or HWMonitor. I try not to buy refurbished systems because of exactly this, unexplained crashes resulting from possibly errant use by the previous owner.

ahthurungnone

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2010
If you don't want to reinstall windows, simply change your DRAM timings. "Loosen" them to 8 8 8 24 or 9 9 9 27. Any RAM intensive tasks on too tight of timings will cause a system crash. It's very rarely a cpu issue unless you're overclocking. I've had supposedly awesome Corsair RAM that I had to loosen the timings AND lower the speed to 1333 or it simply wouldn't run correctly. It runs, but not like I had hoped.

I am assuming you bought this with Windows already installed. My advice is to start from scratch and reinstall Windows. Due to the various different problems, it might simply be poor drivers and it is easier to just do it all yourself. Look for any numbers on the mobo and google it to find the mobo spec so you can download the best drivers. Do this until you have no more components with a yield sign (f you know what I mean). Let me know how it goes.

Here's a good guideline: Computer restarts = mobo, BSOD = cpu wattage or RAM, Computer shuts off and won't restart for a while = overheating, Screen goes blank = gpu, Computer locks up = driver

galeener

Distinguished
Which 500 watt PSU did you buy as they are not all created equil if it wasnt a quality name brand PSU that could be part of the issue. There have been several reveiws where low end 500 Watt Psu could barely push 200-250 watts realisticly and with lots of ripple.

logan2

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
K, sorry. I'm a nub.

"AMD Phenom II 820 Quad-Core Processor (2.8 GHz, 2MB L2 + 4MB Shared L3 Cache, 4000MHz System Bus); 6GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (3x2GB) (expandable to 8GB); 1TB (7200 RPM) Serial ATA hard drive; Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit"