Good Nvidia card for HTPC

Can anyone recommend a good Nvidia card for HTPC build that would cost less than $50 before rebates? Thanks.
8 answers Last reply
More about good nvidia card htpc
  1. Any one of these entry-level cards will work for you:

Nvidia
    Geforce 210
    Geforce GT 220
    Geforce GT 520

AMD
    HD5450
    HD6450

Pick one that is the least expensive with consistently good reviews:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 09%3A23120
  2. Any particular reason for it to be a Nvidia card?

If it is because of CUDA as you intent to run LAV and madVR I would recommend you go a bit above your $50 limit, as the GT 430 can be had for $55, and would be the lowest performance card to get for such a setup.

Here is a good article that touches on many aspects of chosing the right card for a HTPC.
  3. Why nVidia specifically?

In the low end / mainstream video card arena, AMD generally holds the upper hand with a little better performance and also lower power consumption.

That's not to say nVidia is bad. I have a GeForce 9600GT in my HTPC. However, that was several months before AMD released the Radeon HD 4670 which I probably would have bought if it was available when I was looking for a graphics card.
  4. Nvidia low end cards typically suck down more power and have less computing power than their AMD counterparts. But if you want Nvidia, get a 430. Don't bother with the 210, its garbage.
  5. No real reason I guess, I'll look into AMD also. Thanks for the help guys.
  6. Also, would any card give me the ability for some light gaming. No major game, maybe Sims for the girlfriend. Tv isn't a 1080p, only 720 if that helps.
  7. If you'll be doing 3D get the GT430. Otherwise get the 5570.
  8. llee8820 said:
    Also, would any card give me the ability for some light gaming. No major game, maybe Sims for the girlfriend. Tv isn't a 1080p, only 720 if that helps.

Sims has been made so it is able to run on a large range of systems, from very low-end and up, so the GT 430 should be able to run it without too much trouble, and if you are going for a Radeon card 6570 or higher model, it would run even better as they are more powerful for the money at this price segment.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Build Nvidia Graphics Product