Sign in with
Your question

What is my old rig worth?

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 7:04:02 PM

Hey guys,

It's been years since I got my old rig, never upgraded it but at the time it was amazing (and honestly still don't have much to complain about in terms of speed), but it's time for an upgrade as my professional work as become more serious, and thus I plan on getting a much better rig / workstation.

Can you please give me your thoughts as to how much I would be able to sell this entire rig for? (as a whole, not in parts)

Much appreciated!

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz Kentsfield (Socket 775LGA) OC'd at 3.6ghz with watercooling.
MB: Asus Rampage Formula 775 X48
Memory: 8gbs - 2x OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB
HDD: 2x 250gb Velociraptors in Raid 0 for OS, 1x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s + 1x 300gb 7200rpm drive for storage.
GPU: EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX+ 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI 700W ATX12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Cooling: Custom watercooling, built with swiftech and dtek parts
Case: Antec 1200
ETC: Samsung DVD drive/writer + 1 multi card reader.

Been using it for 4 years (since 2008) so it's time for a change.

Condition is honestly very good - besides from it being dusty, everything functions great. The watercooling is obviously 4 years old, tubes aren't stiff or anything but it could use a full drain and change of liquid, but again, fully functional to this day.

If I were to sell this online/locally, what do you reckon I would be able to get out of this rig? I'm not trying to fight this one, I'd be happy to sell it for what it's worth and use the money as part of a much better rig.

Also, what is the proper way to ship an entire tower?

Thanks for your help.

More about : rig worth

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 8:05:09 PM

I'd probably offer you 200 plus shipping. I definitely wouldn't pay you anything more than 400 with the cost of shipping included. Yes it has a lot of nice parts in it, although in terms of value that still holds, the Case is probably the biggest selling point. The problem is, any more than 400 shipped, and you start getting into being able to build a brand new system that is superior to your 4 year old rig.

As far as shipping an entire tower, definitely get insurance on it. And ideally, if you could get some foam filling to secure the internal components in the tower. You want to make sure you have a nice big box with at least 2 inches of foam on all sides of the outside of the tower, otherwise, if theres an insurance claim, it will be denied for insufficient packaging.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 8:36:59 PM

check what people are asking for their POS on your local craig's list. i see a lot of junk going for $600+, its rather disgusting.

i'm sure you can get a fair price w/o having to worry about shipping.
m
l
Related resources
a c 91 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 8:38:56 PM

^+1

You'll probably entice buyers with the water cooling loop. You'll probably get about $500-$700 depending on how ignorant the buyer is.
m
l
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 8:41:11 PM

Anonymous said:
check what people are asking for their POS on your local craig's list. i see a lot of junk going for $600+, its rather disgusting.

LOL, no wonder I never sold a car for anything less than a loss. I'm brutally honest with whats wrong with it.
m
l
April 7, 2012 8:56:00 PM

Anonymous said:

Makes sense, I'll give that a try!
m
l
!