Sign in with
Your question
Closed

HELP! Best Graphics Card and PSU Without Changing MOBO On GM5474

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 8:09:26 PM

Hey Folks,

I need some quick advice. I've spent the weekend researching this on the forum and have not come up with an answer to my satisfaction. I'm going about this more from a standpoint of what my mobo and cpu can handle more so than being tied to a strict budget. The nVidia 8500gt GPU in my Gateway GM5474 system is bad. So I'm going to go ahead and do an upgrade while I'm at it. The Motherboard is an ECS MCP61P-AM, PCIe 16, Memory is 1024 MB PC5300 DDR2 667MHz SDRAM, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ processor, Delta 400w psu.

I would like to get some quick advice on GPU, PSU, CPU (if needed) and Memory before rebates and sale prices go away tomorrow. What would be the best graphics cards this unit could handle without changing the motherboard or cpu? Would like to have the capability for gaming without getting too crazy.

I am looking at the Saphhire HD 6870 and something along the lines of a Corsair TX 650/750 Modular PSU. Where to find the best deals along with comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated! Will consider either nVidia or AMD Radeon. From what I've read, the midrange AMD Radeons perform great on less power, but I'm listening.
January 30, 2012 8:33:09 PM

geekapproved said:
This would be a good upgrade and you could use the power supply you have now
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

You can't really upgrade your cpu. Gateway's are basically throw away computers.

Your next move unfortunately would be a new computer.

Thank you for your quick response. I don't have a problem changing the PSU. If I do that, will this system handle a better card than the HD6670? Seems you are saying don't waste the money on this system and start another.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 8:42:23 PM

Your cpu is too slow to use anything faster than a 6670.

It would be a major improvement over what you have now, and you wouldn't need a new psu.

Yes I'm saying don't waste any more money on that computer.

It would be a major improvement over what you have now though.
January 30, 2012 10:09:56 PM

geekapproved said:
Your cpu is too slow to use anything faster than a 6670.

It would be a major improvement over what you have now, and you wouldn't need a new psu.

Yes I'm saying don't waste any more money on that computer.

It would be a major improvement over what you have now though.

Friend, I will take your advice. I'm done with retail throw away computers. I'm gonna try my hand at a build next. Newegg also has the Sapphire version HD6670 Low Profile for the same price. From what I've read, Sapphire seems to be the top version for AMD cards. Do you have an opinion either way?
Best Regards
Score
a b U Graphics card
January 30, 2012 11:22:42 PM

Yeah sapphire is fine.
Score
January 31, 2012 1:36:20 AM

geekapproved said:
Yeah sapphire is fine.

I went ahead and ordered the HIS HD6770 Low Profile because of the 2 fans. Should be a little quieter with better cooling. Also I will add 2 x 1GB memory sticks for a total of 4GB, even though it will probably only show 3 to 3.5 for this OS. Each slot has a maximum capacity of 1GB. Well, I guess that's about it for this computer. Thank you kindly for your time and advice! :hello: 
Score
January 31, 2012 2:42:16 AM

Best answer selected by dragsterslayer.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 12:05:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!