AMD Phenom X6 - New cooling kit - Check for damage

baquintraz

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Hey. I have a Phenom II X6 1090T on an ASUS M4A89GTD.

My PC has started to suddenly shut down whenever it gets some load. Now it won't even stay on for a minute. I can't even check the BIOS properly.

I'm thinking of getting a proper heat sink and fan, but I've never bought one myself, so I have no idea where to begin. What's a good choice? Something that can take the heat from that CPU under some gaming, nothing too fancy.

Aside from that, how can I check if my processor was damaged? I think I smelled something burning just after one of these shutdowns, and I'm praying it was the heat sink, or something else. Actually, I'm assuming the heating problem is in the CPU, but what's the best way to be sure about that? The graphics card (HD6870) gets hot too, but not as much, I think.

I recently installed a new CPU (Corsair TX650) and the HD6870. Could this be related to the heating issues? The computer has been working well for a month with those new components.

Thanks.

baquintraz

Honorable
Jun 2, 2012
Well, I've never been much of an OCer, and I don't think I'm gonna be starting anytime soon but, is there anything a little more reassuring than "decent enough"? I'm kind of freaking out at the chance of my dear 6-core dying out on me, and I'm willing to spend the right money for the right purpose :(

I have three of these guys http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/KVR1333D3N9_2G.pdf
And just short of 2cm of free room at both sides of the CPU socket.

I've just removed the CPU and it doesn't show any damage. Can I feel relieved, or can heat damage be invisible? Any way to know at this moment? I'd like to get some sleep tonight...

Thanks for the suggestions.