Sign in with
Your question

Diablo 3

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 8:48:05 PM

Here is the deal I want build a system that will run D3 well doesn't have to be the greatest gaming PC ever but I would like it to have some punch. I want the form factor to be small as I would like to connect it to my wall mounted 42" plasma as a monitor. This will not be used for just gameing I would be saving BlueRay DVD rips to it as well as use it to stream TV shows. I know I am very limted here but there has to be a middle ground where I dont have to completly sacrifice performance for functionality.

Case
Mobo
Video Card
suggestions are what I'm looking for here

Thanks in advance

More about : diablo

a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 9:10:53 PM

MoTheMan said:
Here is the deal I want build a system that will run D3 well doesn't have to be the greatest gaming PC ever but I would like it to have some punch. I want the form factor to be small as I would like to connect it to my wall mounted 42" plasma as a monitor. This will not be used for just gameing I would be saving BlueRay DVD rips to it as well as use it to stream TV shows. I know I am very limted here but there has to be a middle ground where I dont have to completly sacrifice performance for functionality.

Case
Mobo
Video Card
suggestions are what I'm looking for here

Thanks in advance

Budget? You have everything else? If so, what?
m
l
April 7, 2012 9:36:58 PM

Budget is open here Im not weathly but Im also not opposed to spending some coin for quality
(lets say between $600-$1200) I would like options I know enough about the industry to make informed cost cutting decisions

Everything else year I have a pretty good Idea what I want SSD HD for the OS and Ill prob get a SATA 1TB drive once the market stablizes

My main interest here is getting something like a homebuilt PS3 I want the case to be not much bigger then a DVD player I would prefer that it be as quite as possible as it will be in my livingroom.

Im trying to stuff as few things as possible inside this case Ill prob just use an external DVD/CD writer to install software I may even just go with an external HDD for storage I think I can get by with a SSD internally.

I have been looking at Low Profile GPUs and the newegg reviews most of them end with this is not a gaming card. Is there one?

The concensus from what I have read seems to point to an I3 motherboard combo. Can i go Micro ATX and still have room for a decent Video Card?

Power seems to be an issue as well is there a small case with a large enough power supplly to power all these things?

Cooling is always and issue can I get enough fans into a small case and without it sounding like a Jet is taking off from my livingroom?

m
l
Related resources
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 10:50:14 PM

MoTheMan said:
Budget is open here Im not weathly but Im also not opposed to spending some coin for quality
(lets say between $600-$1200) I would like options I know enough about the industry to make informed cost cutting decisions

Everything else year I have a pretty good Idea what I want SSD HD for the OS and Ill prob get a SATA 1TB drive once the market stablizes

The prices are iffy of HDDs, however, not that iffy. You can get a Seagate 2TB HDD right now for 119 plus tax from Best Buy. I got one about a month ago. Price on Newegg/TigerDirect were about 30 bucks higher for the same model.

Quote:
My main interest here is getting something like a homebuilt PS3 I want the case to be not much bigger then a DVD player I would prefer that it be as quite as possible as it will be in my livingroom.

Why do you want such a small computer? If you want one you can, but honestly thats a limitation I wouldn't want. But its your computer you have to be happy with it, not I.

Quote:
Im trying to stuff as few things as possible inside this case Ill prob just use an external DVD/CD writer to install software I may even just go with an external HDD for storage I think I can get by with a SSD internally.

Quote:
I have been looking at Low Profile GPUs and the newegg reviews most of them end with this is not a gaming card. Is there one?

Low Profile GPUs is a pretty strong limitation in a quality gaming computer. The only one I can find on TigerDirect is a 6670 and its weak as hell. My 550 Ti is not that great, and it will smoke the hell out of a 6670 20 ways to Sunday.

Quote:
The concensus from what I have read seems to point to an I3 motherboard combo. Can i go Micro ATX and still have room for a decent Video Card?

Not in a case as small as you describe. Honestly, if you have a budget up to 1200, you'd be better off stepping up to a quad core i5. Software will favor quad cores in the long run. The i3 is great, but its only a dual core that "pretends" to be a quad.

Quote:
Power seems to be an issue as well is there a small case with a large enough power supplly to power all these things?

It is an issue yes. Without paying a fortune, you're going to be looking at a standard sized power supply.

Quote:
Cooling is always and issue can I get enough fans into a small case and without it sounding like a Jet is taking off from my livingroom?

A very big issue with a gaming system, your best option might be to go with a custom built case. Although, again, that will cost more money.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 7, 2012 11:05:19 PM

Diablo 3 will not likely play well on a large HDTV. You really need to be fairly close to the screen for the game but a lot farther away when watching TV.

As for watching BluRay rips, I have the Western Digital TV Live HUB. It's $200 but has a 1TB internal drive (2.5") and it works great. I also use it for Netflix.

I seriously think you'd be better off building a separate PC with monitor, and using the Western Digital box for your video with the TV.
m
l
!