Sign in with
Your question

Projector for pc gaming

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 30, 2012 10:05:09 PM

Hello everyone,

I've been using a hp zr30w with my comp for the past 6 months. The 2560 x 1600 resolution is phenomenal but I am thinking about going for a projector. Although I will miss the higher resolution I think the screen size is worth the trade off.

I am looking at these two projectors
1. Epson 8350
2. BenQ W6000

I have read a lot of positive reviews for the epson. I have not read much on the BenQ but because it is a DLP projector I have heard it might be better for gaming.

Does anyone have any experience with projectors with their pcs? Is input lag an issue? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

More about : projector gaming

a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 8:14:05 AM

c0ldfusion said:
Hello everyone,

I've been using a hp zr30w with my comp for the past 6 months. The 2560 x 1600 resolution is phenomenal but I am thinking about going for a projector. Although I will miss the higher resolution I think the screen size is worth the trade off.

I am looking at these two projectors
1. Epson 8350
2. BenQ W6000

I have read a lot of positive reviews for the epson. I have not read much on the BenQ but because it is a DLP projector I have heard it might be better for gaming.

Does anyone have any experience with projectors with their pcs? Is input lag an issue? Any feedback is welcome. Thanks.

Did you ever get a projector? Im thinking about getting one myself for PC gaming. Life-size BF3 has to be amazing! Im looking at the Panasonic AR100U because it had the least lag at only 1.5 frame 1920x1080. Im undecided between a 2560x1600 or a great projector so your input would be great. Thanks
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 4:02:13 PM

Swolern said:
Did you ever get a projector? Im thinking about getting one myself for PC gaming. Life-size BF3 has to be amazing! Im looking at the Panasonic AR100U because it had the least lag at only 1.5 frame 1920x1080. Im undecided between a 2560x1600 or a great projector so your input would be great. Thanks

Cost is a big factor. Sony makes a projector with a 9000x4000 resolution, but at the same time is (I believe) 5 figures.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 6:15:16 PM

I've got a viewsonic PJD6531w 1280x800 3d projector that I play some games on and use with Nvidia 3d vision, I wanted a 1080p one but at the time they didn't make any 3D 1080p projectors, and tbh 720p is high enough when I'm sitting 8-10 feet away and makes text a more readable size. I had an infocus x9 before I got this one. Both are DLP and neither had any input lag issues, the response time on them is noticeably faster than it is on my 47" lcd and seems about on par with my 3ms monitor.

The biggest issue playing games on the projector is brightness. The Viewsonic I got is the brightest home projector I could find at 3000 lumens, the x9 was I think 1800 lumens and there is a huge difference. I can play on the viewsonic during the day with the lights on in my house, with the x9 I had to turn off all the lights and draw the blinds to really see, and with either projector really dark scenes in games are quite difficult to see, you just cant get the contrast ratio with a projector that you need to play something like metro 2033 or the standard dark zombie horror shooter.

Another issue is bulb life. When I first got the x9 I used it constantly, just watching TV or surfing the web or whatever. In about a years time I had burned out the $150 bulb and had to buy a new one. Since then I mainly just use it to watch movies and for 3D gaming sessions (mostly Dirt 3 with my Momo racing wheel and 3d glasses on the 106" screen)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 30, 2012 11:10:43 PM

Ya the Panasonic AR100u has 2800 lumens and great reviews. ^ +1 to 3d racing with feedback steering wheel and huge display, wow.

Only issues I've read about is lag. I game mostly online FPS so i need the smallest response time possible.
m
l
May 4, 2012 2:04:00 AM

hey swolern. I did a lot of research but never ended up pulling the trigger. Im still using my hp zr30w. I was uncomfortable using the keyboard and mouse from my couch, despite trying several 'ergonomic' solutions. I'm looking into a 120hz multi monitor setup for my desk. Its taking up too much of my time deciding on a solution :-(

I also considered the panasonic. As you mentioned, the reviews are very good for picture quality. However, the input lag is a factor. I would take a look at the epson 8350. It has less than 17ms of input lag. That's lower than most 2560p monitors and very comparable to the zr30w lag. Also the epson is very bright and has very good picture quality. I would take a look at projector central. They have great reviews and address input lag in each. GL
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 6:57:11 AM

I read up on the lag issues for projectors as well. I tried out the Samsung 120Hz monitor http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A950D-27-Inch-Class-Mo...

And holly crap! This is the first time i gamed on a 120 Hz monitor. I didnt think it could be that much difference than 60hz. Man was i wrong. Bf3 was so clear and responsive. The motion was so fluid and life-like, there was no ghosting what so ever, even at the fastest turning speeds. Everything was so crystal clear, it was that much easier to spot your enemies on the fly. So bada$$ i dont think i can play a 1st P shooter @ 60fps again.

But the other hand Samsungs 3d was a failure. No Nvidia 3d compatability.

So i bought the Asus 27 3d monitor. It arrives tomorrow. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I want to go 5760x1080 as well. Im going to try one Asus first and see about buying 2 more(60Hz) to run 5760x1080@60fps. I dont have enough GPU power to run 5760x1080 @120Hz or 3d surround. What is your PC specs?
m
l
May 4, 2012 8:01:15 PM

wow we really are in the same boat. I am considering the samsung s23a750d and the asus vg236h(e). I have not seen either in person (or 120hz at all for that matter). Your description on 120hz echoes what i have been hearing. I have 2 580s overclocked but will likely upgrade to 680s sli. The thing is I really want the samsung s23a750d but it is only display port. So that screws me with the 580s. Also the 1.5gb in vram of the 580s i have heard can be a factor.

I have heard very good things about the asus you linked but its a little expensive for 3 of them. Also, I plan on putting these in portrait and am unsure about how that sensor would fair with this on the top of the 27 model.

Did you do any research on the asus vg236h? It seems like the rational solution for me given that it supports dual link dvi but it does not have as strong a following as the samsungs. I'm kind of partial to samsung products in general.

The other option is the samsung s23a700d (dual link dvi but same panel as other samsungs mentioned). However, mounting it in portrait is near impossible. There is a modification to the s23a750ds that allows them to be put in portrait.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 8:52:36 AM

Ya I had 680 sli right when they released, but I sold one of them on ebay because it didn't overclock for crap(only + 40mhz OC then crash. The one I kept OC + 177mhz for a total of 1266mhz to the core with boost on stock voltages, stable as a rock. Kinda shot myself in foot now because I had no idea the 680 stock was going to be this horrible. Still waiting.....

I didnt do any reasearch on the Asus 23in models. I dont believe they support Nvidia 3d vision 2. And 3d is an option that i definitley want in certain games. It really does bring you into the world of gaming and in immerses you as the world feels like it surrounds you and you feel connected to it. 3D surround would be incredible but i dont believe i will have enough power to run that in games i want any time soon with 680 sli.

If you dont care for 3d the Sammys are amazing monitors too and i believe they have a slight edge over the Asus in 2d with colour reproduction. I saw a Samsung S23A750D x3 portrait that made me drool. He removed the bezels for the thinnest gaps ive ever seen. And i hate bezel gaps!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovm7XBtaQAM

I got a great price on the Asus VG278H (reg$699) for $530 from Newegg with a discount code(15%off any monitors) i found on slickdeals. But you need a newegg business login. Some people said they made the account up, not sure if their orders went through. If you interested let me know and ill message you the code.(If it still works?)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 11:18:29 AM

Here is a review of 3d content on the Asus vs the Samsung. http://techreport.com/articles.x/22350

I dont aways game in 3d, some areas it just doesnt work well. But it is nice to have that option without it looking like crap on the Samsung. BF3 multiplayer @ 120Hz all day long. But slower paced campaign games can really be brought to life by Nvidia 3d.
m
l
May 6, 2012 2:08:43 AM

That youtube link (callsignvega's setup) is exactly what i am trying to imitate. I messaged him on the overclock forum for advice and he also posted a remove bezel guide for the 750d's on the forum.

I had not at all considered 3d. I was thinking strictly 120hz 2d. But you are right, having the option is something I would like. Are you enjoying the vg278? Do you think it would be an issue putting three of them in portrait with that raised sensor on the top?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 6, 2012 8:28:19 AM

Unfortunately my VG278 shipping got delayed and looks like I won't receive the monitor until Monday, Errrr sucks!

Ive been searching about VG278 bezel removal and I haven't found anything yet? No portrait mode wont work with the sensors in their current place. I know it's going to be tough to reposition those sensors, If possible at all.

As of right now it looks like if a portrait mode is a must then the Asus probably won't work for you. But then if u go with the Sammy's then 3d is out. I know man, though choices.... But let me know if you find anything about bezel removal on the Asus.

I just bought 1 monitor right now and going to decide later which other 2 monitors to get depending on bezel spacing and GPU performance. Remember to take advantage of 120Hz monitors it's best to have you average framerate 100fps and above. Ultimately best at 120Hz locked with refresh rate of monitor. Yes you can tell a difference between 100fps and 120fps in fast paced twitch games like infantry on BF3. So it's going to be tough as hell to reach those high framerates on 3 120Hz monitors running 5760x1080 on some new AAA games unless graphical settings are turned down dramatically.
m
l
May 6, 2012 8:35:34 AM

actually I'm looking at buying a 3d projector with at least 2560x1440 resolution or above or if 1080 for 3d and if it's non 3d I want something bigger, anyone can also post links on good ones like tigerdirect/neweegg as reference? this might also help out TS and some extra like me ^_^

I like the Idea of a big monitor in big size ^_^ like those in cinema or something
m
l
June 14, 2012 9:54:53 PM

If you want to save money, I was pretty happy with the AAXA P3 pico. The thing is like $220. The brightness is on the low side but i can play LA Noir on my ceiling, from my bed no problem.
m
l
July 3, 2012 1:18:09 AM

hey folks, im looking for something multimedia + gaming as well.

do you think any NEC projectors could be viable? http://www.nec.com.au/products/projectors.html

I can get a good deal on them so was wondering if they could do the trick..... any advice would be really helpful.

Thanks
m
l
March 25, 2013 11:06:37 AM

sk1939 said:
Cost is a big factor. Sony makes a projector with a 9000x4000 resolution, but at the same time is (I believe) 5 figures.

howaboutno.jpg
m
l
!