Sign in with
Your question

$1500 Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
April 7, 2012 11:21:15 PM

I've already screwed up here on the website... I feel so lost. Posted this on Components section before I found this section... -.-;

Following the sticky best I can.

Approximate Purchase Date: Probably within next week or so. Was looking to order it tomorrow if everything looks good.

Budget Range: $1500 - Before Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (WoW & Skyrim), Internet, Video Conversion occasionally.

Parts Not Required: I have a keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitors I plan on using.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg preferably, but open to other ideas. Trying to keep it to one website to make it easier.

Parts Preferences: Going for an intel 2500k/2550k build. At bottom is list of what I've selected and looking for advice on.

Overclocking: Maybe. If i've done my research right, then i believe the "K" at the end of the intel cpu is for overclocking them. I don't want to push it to hard, probably up to like 3.8~4.0

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. That's the plan, I'm looking at getting two of the same video card for crossfire. But I'm open to ideas.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I need some help with the cooling of the computer. But I am open to opinions on everything else.

Onto the components! Everything was ripped from newegg.com.

Case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

Graphics Card x2: XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX850 (CMPSU-850HX) 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC ...

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9Q-16GBXL

Mobo: ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

SSD: OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

CPU: Intel Core i5-2550K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Without IGP BX80623i52550K

Fans 200mm: NZXT FS-200RB-BLED 200mm SILENT Blue LED Fan with ON/OFF Switch

140mm: COOLER MASTER R4-S4S-10AK-GP 140mm Case Fan

RAM fan?: G.SKILL FTB-3500C5-D Fans

CPU Cooler: CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

74-in-1: Rosewill RCR-IC002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader w/ USB port / Extra silver face plate

Blu-Ray: SAMSUNG Black Blu-ray Combo SATA Model SH-B123L LightScribe Support - OEM

More about : 1500 gaming

April 7, 2012 11:52:11 PM

Get Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD. It is more reliable and cheaper. i5-2550k is not worth it as you lose a diagnostic tool.
m
l
April 7, 2012 11:59:06 PM

For the price you're paying for two x 6870s you should buy a single 7870 - it will be far better.

Also that card reader is garbage - I had one and not only was it a pain to install but it doesn't read over 2GB memory cards. If you get any card reader - it's this or nothing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The extra fans are also a waste - the Phantom is extremely well ventilated. Put that money in the GPU and PSU - those are the most important parts of any build. RAM fans are a huge waste of money as well.
m
l
Related resources
April 7, 2012 11:59:06 PM

azeem40 said:
Get Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 120GB SSD. It is more reliable and cheaper. i5-2550k is not worth it as you lose a diagnostic tool.

Which diagnostic tool? Is it the integrated graphics?
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:02:46 AM

Yes. When Oced, you will notice NO difference in gaming performance.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:06:23 AM

g-unit1111 said:
For the price you're paying for two x 6870s you should buy a single 7870 - it will be far better.

Also that card reader is garbage - I had one and not only was it a pain to install but it doesn't read over 2GB memory cards. If you get any card reader - it's this or nothing: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The extra fans are also a waste - the Phantom is extremely well ventilated. Put that money in the GPU and PSU - those are the most important parts of any build. RAM fans are a huge waste of money as well.

I'm not really to concerned about the reader. But i'll definitely take it into consideration. It's one of those luxury items to me. But I have people who ask me to transfer stuff from cards occasionally, so I like to try and help them when I can.

As for the GPU. I've been told this a few times now to change to 7870. My main concern is the one I was linked to originally only had 1 DVI slots. So I was looking at getting one with 2 DVI slots. So...

HFX 7870 or EVGA GTX 570

I know this kind of comes down to radeon vs nvidia. lol

RAM fan was also another luxury item, that i've scrapped from the list.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:07:25 AM

The 7870 has more OC headroom and runs cooler.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:11:18 AM

Kardius said:
I'm not really to concerned about the reader. But i'll definitely take it into consideration. It's one of those luxury items to me. But I have people who ask me to transfer stuff from cards occasionally, so I like to try and help them when I can.

As for the GPU. I've been told this a few times now to change to 7870. My main concern is the one I was linked to originally only had 1 DVI slots. So I was looking at getting one with 2 DVI slots. So...

HFX 7870 or EVGA GTX 570

I know this kind of comes down to radeon vs nvidia. lol

RAM fan was also another luxury item, that i've scrapped from the list.

To me the "luxury items" are never worth it and you're just wasting money. They don't really do anything and are less important than all the core components - Case, PSU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, storage (HD, SSD, optical), OS, and the GPU. The GPU can often make or break the performance on a build and that's especially important if you're playing on a monitor with any sort of resolution that's beyond 1080p. I always try to say that any money you have left over in your build into getting the best GPU you can possibly get for your build.

But the 570TI is a bit outdated, I agree about the 7870 - it will be a stronger solution in the long run. I just bought a 7870 and cant wait to hook it up on Monday.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:15:15 AM

OK! 7870 checked. Getting feedback from both forums about that.

What about cooling...

This where I am really having my major concerns. Should I look at liquid cooling it with the corsair? Or Should I go with the Hyper 212 Evo that has been suggested on the other forum a few times now?
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:22:41 AM

At the lower-end, Hyper 212 EVO is better than those corsair h coolers.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:28:14 AM

Kardius said:
OK! 7870 checked. Getting feedback from both forums about that.

What about cooling...

This where I am really having my major concerns. Should I look at liquid cooling it with the corsair? Or Should I go with the Hyper 212 Evo that has been suggested on the other forum a few times now?

The 212 Evo is a good choice. I have this fan and I really like it: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:34:51 AM

Alright. Revising the list then.

Case: NZXT 410 Changed this to the small version, cutting out $30
CPU: i5-2500k
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
GPU: Radeon 7870
PSU (Not changed): Corsair 850w I think I can knock this down to 750?
SSD: Mushkin I believe what ya said about it. I just can't remember where the article was that I read about it.
RAM: 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws
Mobo (Not changed): ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3

I'm still worried about cooling. lol. But guess I need the thing before I can comment on how it will be.
m
l
April 8, 2012 12:59:21 AM

g-unit1111 said:

Is it just Rosewill that is not so great? Cause there are quite a few AFT ones. $52 for a card reader seems kind of steep, but there's a $22 one from AFT as well.
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:29:10 AM

Build the PC without additional fans, and if you need them you can always add them.

Also, I suggest that you get Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO.

I see that you don't have a storage HDD. Is this intentional?

Oh, and nice build :) 
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:34:47 AM

quicksand10 said:
Build the PC without additional fans, and if you need them you can always add them.

Also, I suggest that you get Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste for the CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO.

I see that you don't have a storage HDD. Is this intentional?

Oh, and nice build :) 

I have 2 1 TB HDDs i'm going to be using from my other computer. More than enough space than i'll ever use tbh. I also got an external computer hooked up for backing up files from all the computers in my house (multiple family members). :) 
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:43:02 AM

For $1500 you should really have a GTX680. I just designed a system for $1500 that includes this card.

Crossfire:
Crossfire and SLI have micro-stuttering. You can actually read about that if you google "tomshardware microstutter sli crossfire..". Get a single-GPU high-end card.

COOLER:
I don't like that cooler. You still have fan noise and people have had issues with the pump. My advice is to get one of these:
1) Corsair H100 (requires compatible case), or
2) Noctua NH-U12P

*NCIX is another store to consider.

RAM:
16GB is overkill for gaming. More than 8GB only benefits certain video editing programs.

CASE:
I really hate the DOOR. I had when and it was annoying when I wanted to burn discs. I prefer the new Antec series. They have the Antec One, 300 etc that have two fans and a cable hiding system. I'd get the one with USB3 front connectors.
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:45:01 AM

Microstuttering is mainly a problem for lesser cards. SLI/CF on a higher-end card like the 680 won't have it.0
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:14:24 AM

photonboy said:

COOLER:
I don't like that cooler. You still have fan noise and people have had issues with the pump. My advice is to get one of these:
2) Noctua NH-U12P

The Noctua listed doesn't go to LGA-1155, which is what I am using AFAIK. But I have seen from a review on here for the LGA-2011 that Noctua is the way to go... So I assume they're relatively good fans.

Noctua NH-D14 on the other hand is listed to fit LGA-1155. So my questions for this is... Is the thermal compound better than Artic Silver? And will it fit the mid size tower in my revised list?

Also... Not worried about the best of the best when it comes to graphics cards . Only cause i'm going to probably be casually gaming, but for the weekends when I want to do stuff for long periods of time and "hardcore," i think the 7870 should be fine. Not to mention the GTX680 is sold out on newegg. XD
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:43:55 AM

Yeah the Noctua NH-D14 will fit. People use the bigger (+ ~2cm in height) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 +/EVO in there no problem.

The difference between NT-H1 and AS5 is ~3 degrees on a normal, flat HSF. I believe there will be a bigger difference when the heatsink is HPDT by design (like the Noctua NH-D14) because the AS5 paste is some thick paste and is better suited for the HPDT's uneven surfaces.
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:48:13 AM

quicksand10 said:
Yeah the Noctua NH-D14 will fit. People use the bigger (+ ~2cm in height) CoolerMaster Hyper 212 +/EVO in there no problem.

The difference between NT-H1 and AS5 is ~3 degrees on a normal, flat HSF. I believe there will be a bigger difference when the heatsink is HPDT by design (like the Noctua NH-D14) because the AS5 paste is some thick paste and is better suited for the HPDT's uneven surfaces.

Sorry, what does HPDT mean? And what I am getting is... Still go with AS5? :) 

Oh... And how long does thermal compound last in the tube for? I found some AS5 in tube from my build from 5yrs ago... lol
m
l
April 8, 2012 4:31:12 AM

heat-pain detection thresholds
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:41:18 AM

In this context, HPDT = Heat-Pipe Direct Touch.
--Correction: the correct abbreviation is HDT. My mistake :p 

In another context :lol:  :
azeem40 said:
heat-pain detection thresholds
m
l
April 8, 2012 8:26:44 AM

Kardius said:
Is it just Rosewill that is not so great? Cause there are quite a few AFT ones. $52 for a card reader seems kind of steep, but there's a $22 one from AFT as well.

That card reader I linked to is a bit on the pricey side I know, but unlike the Rosewill unit, the AFT one is VERY well constructed and you don't fumble with mounting brackets or adapters to get it installed, and the AFT one reads memory cards that are well beyond 32GB.
m
l
April 8, 2012 1:58:10 PM

OK.

Axe'd the Rosewill reader. Picking up an AFT one.
Going with AS5 compound. Hopefully the stuff I have is still good. If not, i'll use what's included with the CPU fan.

Looks like this now.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6zUB - only difference is the vid card. Going with XFX from newegg.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:07:26 PM

Kardius said:
OK.

Axe'd the Rosewill reader. Picking up an AFT one.
Going with AS5 compound. Hopefully the stuff I have is still good. If not, i'll use what's included with the CPU fan.

Looks like this now.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6zUB - only difference is the vid card. Going with XFX from newegg.

Depending on what fan you get you may not need the extra compound - some fans like the Hyper 212 Evo and Noctua include really good non-conductive compound - just make sure it's non-conductive or you'll fry your CPU that way.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:21:28 PM

g-unit1111 said:
Depending on what fan you get you may not need the extra compound - some fans like the Hyper 212 Evo and Noctua include really good non-conductive compound - just make sure it's non-conductive or you'll fry your CPU that way.

The NT-H1 compound that comes with the Noctua says that it is Not electrically conductive, non-corroding. So that should be good from what i've gathered. If not, i have the AS5 to fall back on. :) 
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:28:23 PM

Kardius said:
The NT-H1 compound that comes with the Noctua says that it is Not electrically conductive, non-corroding. So that should be good from what i've gathered. If not, i have the AS5 to fall back on. :) 

Yes - pretty much everything Noctua makes is high quality stuff. I'm planning on replacing the stock fan that came with my heat sink with a Noctua fan shortly. I'd highly suggest the NH-U9B over the Evo if you can get it.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:34:18 PM

NH-D14 vs NH-U9B

Would I get more bang for my buck from the first one?
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:42:45 PM

Kardius said:
NH-D14 vs NH-U9B

Would I get more bang for my buck from the first one?

Well the D14 is a top of the line cooler and will get you the same results that a closed radiator like the H100 would and is far safer, the NH-U9B is also a good choice and will be a lot smaller and easier to install than the D14 - either way you can't go wrong.
m
l
!