New PC Build & SSD: Windows cannot be installed to this disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

reitoei

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Hi there - I've googled like mad and I see this error message a lot, but no situations/solutions appropriate to my circumstances:

I've just finished putting together a new build including:

ASUS P8Z68 DELUXE/GEN3 Mobo
Corsair Force Series GT 180GB SSD
A WD Caviar Black 1TB that I already had

I'm booting off the Win7 install disc and I get to the "Where do you want to install Windows?" step. The SSD is all unallocated space and I deleted the existing partitions on the WD. So I see:

Disk 0 Unallocated Space 931.5 GB
Disk 1 Unallocated Space 167.7 GB

I create a partition (I'm trying to install the OS on the SSD, but trying it on the WD does the same thing), and get (abbreviated):

Disk 1 Part 1 100MB System
Disk 1 Part 2 128MB Reserved
Disk 1 Part 3 167.5GB Primary

Selecting any of those partitions shows the "Windows cannot be installed to Disk X Partition Y" and the details read:

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu.

I've gone through the BIOS and didn't find anything I thought was relevant to the issue, but I admit I'm not very skilled at this part of the process - I can put the parts together, but I'm sketchy on BIOS settings and whatnot.

At first I thought it was an issue with the SSD, but it does the same thing on the WD drive (which, if it's relevant, I pulled out of my Mac a while ago), so I don't know where to go from here. Any advice is welcome! Thanks.

Solution
Make sure the SSD is 100% wiped. No partitions, no nothing. Just unallocated space. Then make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode. At this point it's best to only have the drive you're installing Windows to, eg. the ssd, connected.

Onlyusemeisaac

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Make sure the SSD is 100% wiped. No partitions, no nothing. Just unallocated space. Then make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode. At this point it's best to only have the drive you're installing Windows to, eg. the ssd, connected.

Solution

larrybrownsr

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Have you found a solution for this? I am having the same problem as you. Please, let me know if you have found an answer. Thanks.

larrybrownsr

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Somehow I missed seeing your response until I went back to check mine. I tried what you suggested and Windows 7 is installing on my SSD right now. I can't even tell you how big my thank you to you is. I am a happy man, now. I hope you are, too.

quotemsg=145256,2,1001629]Make sure the SSD is 100% wiped. No partitions, no nothing. Just unallocated space. Then make sure your BIOS is set to AHCI mode. At this point it's best to only have the drive you're installing Windows to, eg. the ssd, connected.[/quotemsg]

reitoei

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2011
Yeah, my mistake - I went out of town right after this and forgot about the thread but it seemed my mistake was creating a partition first. Thread marked as answered. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.