Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC's been locking up for awhile now, can't seem to find problem

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 12:20:02 AM

I started having locking up/freezing problems with my PC about 3 months ago. I tried trouble shooting as best I could and came here in the past to maybe and fix problem, but had no luck. It's been getting more and more annoying to deal with lately so I thought I'de give it another try.

The problem I'm having is my PC will randomly freeze, and will stay frozen unless I manually power down the PC. I can not recreate the freeze to try and figure out what the problem is. The display locks, audio is cut, but my PC itself stays on. It could happen while I'm playing a game, web browsing or just sitting here staring at my desktop, anything. It also happens every now and then in the boot process. Sometimes it's happened at the motherboard logo screen, and more frequently in the windows logo/log in.

A couple things I've tried in the past is swapping out my hard drive, clean installing, and also running a memtest on my RAM as a set and each individual stick. The only things I could think of is maybe my motherboard or video card, or possibly my power supply.

If anyone could give me some insight or any idea of what might be the problem, or things I could do to narrow it down would be much appreciated.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.8 w/stock voltages
Mobo: ASUS MA89GTD PRO/USB3
GPU: N460GTX HAWK
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 7200RPM x2
PSU: Corsair TX650W Bronze Certified

Also I've never had any temp problems with my PC, and I've also never experienced a blue screen with this freezing problem or any errors in event viewer other then me having to manually shut down the PC.

UPDATE1 : I tried plugging my PC into a completely different circuit and so far it hasn't crashed. It's only been about a day and a half so I can't so for certain if it's fixed or not. But I was crashing consistently for the days prior to changing the circuit it's on. If a week goes by and I haven't crashed at all I'll assume that was the problem. :) 

UPDATE2: Was just a coincidence, still crashing with the same problem
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 2:15:51 AM

Does something like this happen at times? I got this error on my brother's rig a month or two back. Ironically it was after we upgraded his GPU lol...Though that wasn't the problem at all. We also suffered from Hyper Transport Sync Flood Error.

Anyway, we still haven't figured out what the problem was. Though the issue seemed to have gone down after we put the CPU back down to stock settings (same CPU as you, we had it clocked at 3.5Ghz w/ 1.425v [couldn't get it stable with any other voltage for some reason]).

Ah right, we also tried clean install, swapping HDD's, everything you mentioned, the error would occur for a simple task such as opening the dvd drive! Kind of mindblowing at how easily and randomly I could trigger this. I'm thinking it's more of a motherboard issue than anything, really. Though I can't be certain...(We have the Biostar A880g+).

Hopefully there was some information here that you could put to use :lol:  I wish you the best of luck with your rig :) 
m
l
April 8, 2012 2:25:44 AM

I've never had the display do that when it freezes, but a couple times.. maybe about 5% of the time the display has completely turned off. Another thing I wanted to add is the problem has gone away for weeks then will come back and crash consistently all day, and then not happen for a few days. It's so random and isn't consistent. I'll try putting my CPU back down to regular speed and see if that helps. The only thing that sucks about trouble shooting this problem I'm having is when I think it fixed it, but it's just that it hasn't crashed yet then hits me when I finally think everything is okay lol
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 2:35:19 AM

skittlulz said:
I've never had the display do that when it freezes, but a couple times.. maybe about 5% of the time the display has completely turned off. Another thing I wanted to add is the problem has gone away for weeks then will come back and crash consistently all day, and then not happen for a few days. It's so random and isn't consistent. I'll try putting my CPU back down to regular speed and see if that helps. The only thing that sucks about trouble shooting this problem I'm having is when I think it fixed it, but it's just that it hasn't crashed yet then hits me when I finally think everything is okay lol

I TOTALLY feel your pain about the fixing part! We've been having an emotional roller coaster thanks to the errors we've been getting. Our errors went away for a few weeks as well, then one day while opening the DVD drive, BAM, error lol...

I wish you the best of luck and I'll keep you updated if I can find a solid solution. :) 
m
l

Best solution

April 8, 2012 2:49:02 AM

I'm wondering if you aren't getting brownouts or line sags with the power at the plug. That can usually be fixed with a UPS or line conditioner.
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 2:55:07 AM

egilbe said:
I'm wondering if you aren't getting brownouts or line sags with the power at the plug. That can usually be fixed with a UPS or line conditioner.

To be honest with you, that hadn't crossed my mind once. If I can get my hands on a UPS or line conditioner, I'll come back to this thread.
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:36:46 AM

egilbe said:

I'll be honest, not sure what brownouts/line sags are. Mind explaining?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 3:43:24 AM

skittlulz said:

Simplest way I can explain it - Do your lights sometimes dim? Even just for a second? That's a drop in the voltage provided from the socket aka 'brown out'.

Basically a UPS or line conditioner is a line of defense against that, providing you with stable electricity 24/7 even in the event of a 'brown out'

I think there's a video on youtube by LinusTechTips that talks about this stuff if you want to know more :) 

***EDIT***
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViGZ7hyAyBk&feature=relm...
There ya go :)  he talks about it in the first few minutes.
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:49:04 AM

skittlulz said:

Power supplied to your, or anyone's home is not constant or consistent. There's a variability that is allowed and normally planned for in most electrical appliances. They are designed to operate, say, between 100 and 120 volts. Power demands in other areas, loose connections in your panel box, or power outages in other areas and windstorms can affect how consistent the power is supplied to your home. Those temporary drops in voltage are called line sags. If it's a longer term sag, it's a brownout. UPS and line conditioners smooth some of that out so the power supplied to your computer is more constant. It affects older houses with wiring and rural areas the most. I've even seen it happen in one particular room of a house. Other rooms were fine.
m
l
April 8, 2012 3:57:38 AM

egilbe said:
Power supplied to your, or anyone's home is not constant or consistent. There's a variability that is allowed and normally planned for in most electrical appliances. They are designed to operate, say, between 100 and 120 volts. Power demands in other areas, loose connections in your panel box, or power outages in other areas and windstorms can affect how consistent the power is supplied to your home. Those temporary drops in voltage are called line sags. If it's a longer term sag, it's a brownout. UPS and line conditioners smooth some of that out so the power supplied to your computer is more constant. It affects older houses with wiring and rural areas the most. I've even seen it happen in one particular room of a house. Other rooms were fine.

Wow, this might actually be my problem. I'm in a older house and my room where my PC is has two different circuits. Around November of last year I started using my PC on the other circuit in my room since I got a new set up, and now that I think about the couple times I brought my PC over to people's houses for LANs and etc I don't think I crashed.
m
l
April 15, 2012 12:18:56 AM

Best answer selected by skittlulz.
m
l
!