Need help, Want Workstation with high end gaming potential.

loke

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
Hello,
I am in school right now to become a Computer Programmer, my current pc rig is over 8 years old and I am thinking it is time to build a new one. I am looking for a ground up build with 'future proof' capabilities of around 5 years or so. The main purpose for this rig will be 3ds max, maya, Photoshop CS5, microsoft visual, sound software, and most of all gaming (usually MMO's such as Eve, SWTOR, WoW, etc). My budget for this project is between $500-$3000 usd, as I said I will need a list for everything with the exception of a monitor (currently have a LG 42" 240mhz blah blah) still I might look into getting a 2nd and 3rd monitor for a surround feeling. After doing research I am currently leaning towards the I7-3930k processor with the rampage IV motherboard, but with the release of ivy bridge (on april 29th) should I wait? Will I see more benifits with the 3930k SB-E or a comparable IB processor? As far as Ram goes I would say due to the software i will be running I would benifit from 16g or more of RAM.

loke

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012

Any help on this one?

serialkiller

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2012
hello op

i can answer you better if you fill this form.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

also i would like to know what type or size of work do you do.

for example if you do heavy modeling and do full hd or 4k render and someting like millions of polygons then you might need more than 16gb to be safe :D

also specify everything so that we could give accurate answer and not just go round and round.

and also you have come to correct place so just lay it down you will get full support or even a walkthrough :D