accessing memory card ofCanon Powershot A75 as a logical d..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 16, 2005 8:36:59 PM

I'm new to Canon digital cameras (Powershot A75) so I hope this question
hasn't been covered recently.

Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
"see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)? I've seen
this done with a Sony digital camera but I can't seem to do it with my A75.

Sometimes it would just be easier to transfer the pictures to my hard drive
as regular files as opposed to having to work with ZoomBrowser.

Thanks for your help,
Ron Snelgrove
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:37:00 PM

On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 16:36:59 -0400, "Ronald Snelgrove"
<ron@foo.bar.com> wrote:

>I'm new to Canon digital cameras (Powershot A75) so I hope this question
>hasn't been covered recently.
>
>Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
>"see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)? I've seen
>this done with a Sony digital camera but I can't seem to do it with my A75.
>
>Sometimes it would just be easier to transfer the pictures to my hard drive
>as regular files as opposed to having to work with ZoomBrowser.

Why not just get a card reader?

-James Nachtwey-
http://www.jamesnachtwey.com/
June 16, 2005 8:37:00 PM

Ronald Snelgrove wrote:
> Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
> "see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)?

Yes, I can do it with my Canon SD200. I never even installed any of
their software. I just plug into USB, and XP automatically recognizes
it as a device. It won't have a drive letter, but it does show up in
File Explorer, and you can drag and drop files just as if it were a
drive.

Since you already installed Zoom Browser, you may have to uninstall it
so that it doesn't automatically load Zoom Browser as soon as you plug
in the camera. When Windows pops up the "What do you want to open this
with?", I just hit cancel. I personally don't like Zoom Browser for
viewing. The only thing I found it good for is that it gives you better
Canon EXIF data than general programs, and their photostitch.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 8:37:00 PM

"Ronald Snelgrove" <ron@foo.bar.com> writes:
> I'm new to Canon digital cameras (Powershot A75) so I hope this question
> hasn't been covered recently.
>
> Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
> "see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)? I've seen
> this done with a Sony digital camera but I can't seem to do it with my A75.
>
> Sometimes it would just be easier to transfer the pictures to my hard drive
> as regular files as opposed to having to work with ZoomBrowser.

Totally agreed. Canon cameras don't look like hard drives (others do
though). I hate ZoomBrowser.

However, there's hope: You'll wonder how you lived without this $20
goodie which is as simple as plugging it into tyour win 2k or winxp
machine and poppin the card in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=produ...

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Ronald Snelgrove" <ron@foo.bar.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to Canon digital cameras (Powershot A75) so I hope this question
> hasn't been covered recently.
>
> Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
> "see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)? I've
> seen
> this done with a Sony digital camera but I can't seem to do it with my
> A75.
>
> Sometimes it would just be easier to transfer the pictures to my hard
> drive
> as regular files as opposed to having to work with ZoomBrowser.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Ron Snelgrove

The answer is yes, but it will not be a logical drive, instead, it will show
up as a camera. Yes, you most certainly can do this without zoombrowser.
Works for me.

If you WANT it to look like a logical drive, you need a card reader, which
typically connects to a USB port.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 1:05:19 AM

"Ronald Snelgrove" <ron@foo.bar.com> wrote in message
> I'm new to Canon digital cameras (Powershot A75) so I hope this question
> hasn't been covered recently.
>
> Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB and
> "see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)? I've
> seen
> this done with a Sony digital camera but I can't seem to do it with my
> A75.
>
> Sometimes it would just be easier to transfer the pictures to my hard
> drive
> as regular files as opposed to having to work with ZoomBrowser.
>
> Thanks for your help,
> Ron Snelgrove

No, canon cameras do not appear as a hd as such. However, under winxp you
will see an icon in windows explorer for canon camera within which you will
see the .jpg files on the cf card. What you don't see is a drive letter and
the directory structure as you would see using a card reader. I've used this
method and also deleted camera files after download, but do this at your own
risk. You can also use the winxp camera wizard, handy if you like to create
a new sub-directory on your hd for each download. Some contributors seem
want this, I don't, although I can see where it might be useful.
Canon supply a wia driver on their program cd, winxp seems to come with
one.Winxp one seems to work fine with my A95 without using the canon cd for
any installation.
Dave Cohen.
Anonymous
June 19, 2005 5:19:01 PM

I've uninstalled all the Canon software, restarted the computer. Connecting
the camera to the USB port doesn't bring it up in the File Explorer.

Weird ...

"Bucky" <uw_badgers@email.com> wrote in message
> Ronald Snelgrove wrote:
>> Is it possible to connect the camera and computer (Windows XP) via USB
>> and
>> "see" the camera contents as a logical drive (with drive letter)?
>
> Yes, I can do it with my Canon SD200. I never even installed any of
> their software. I just plug into USB, and XP automatically recognizes
> it as a device. It won't have a drive letter, but it does show up in
> File Explorer, and you can drag and drop files just as if it were a
> drive.
>
> Since you already installed Zoom Browser, you may have to uninstall it
> so that it doesn't automatically load Zoom Browser as soon as you plug
> in the camera. When Windows pops up the "What do you want to open this
> with?", I just hit cancel. I personally don't like Zoom Browser for
> viewing. The only thing I found it good for is that it gives you better
> Canon EXIF data than general programs, and their photostitch.

June 19, 2005 8:33:31 PM

Ronald Snelgrove wrote:
> I've uninstalled all the Canon software, restarted the computer. Connecting
> the camera to the USB port doesn't bring it up in the File Explorer.

Sometimes it can be hard to make XP unrecognize a device once it has
been registered. Try using Device Manager and removing the camera or
"Scan For Hardware Changes". Device Manager is found under My Computer
> Properties > Hardware.

Whenever XP asks me what program I would like to a device/file with, I
hit cancel so that it doesn't memorize it. Then I open the device/file
manually with whatever program I want (file explorer, etc). In fact, I
was able to install zoom browser without having it be the default app.
Like I mentioned, I still use it occasionally for photo stitching for
reading the EXIF info.
!