Xps 9100 Newer Bigger PS, now won\'t start!

hudsterboy

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
So, I just upgraded my XPS9100's Radeon 5670 video adaptor to a Radeon 8570. The adaptor kept resetting (Display driver stopped responding and has recovered error) so I figured I'd beef up the PSU as well. I run out to Best Buy and get a Thermaltake Smart M850W. Bring it home, drop it in, and ... nothing.
Well, not really nothing, it starts to power on, but then dies. I replace the old stock PSU... it works.

I call Thermaltake... they say it's probably a bad relay, so I go BACK to Best Buy, and get a replacement, come home, plug it in, same thing.

I have removed all components except for the CPU. I know Dell is doing this on purpose... Keeping me from having fun like some kind of jealous wife. YOU CAN ONLY USE MY PSU!

Seriously... any ideas? Why would -this- PSU not work, but the stock one does??

There could be some truth to what you say about Dell and I have run into thier computer issues before. The one thing you can try is the paper clip test to see if the psu will run without being connected to the motherboard.

http://dodji.seketeli.com/downloads/shuttle-psu-paper-clip-test.pdf

For about $10 you can pick up a power supply tester that will test all of the cables to make sure that they are working. But the thing you want to make sure of is that the power supplies are working and it's kind of hard to think that you got two bad psu's but it happens and Thermaltake is not a top quality brand and I'm not surprised that you could get two bad ones in a row.

hudsterboy

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
I think it's probably just a bad match. That is:
1. Sort of crappy computer doesn't play well with
2. Sort of crappy PSU

I think both of you are pretty much telling me to get a decent PSU. They had a Corsair GS800, but I went for the ThermalBukake because a co-worker suggested it, and it was 850w.

I think I'll switch it for the Corsair tomorrow, unless you guys think that one sucks too.