Sign in with
Your question

Paranoid about temperatures inside desktop computer

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2012 12:09:20 AM

Hi guys, I was given a hand me down computer and I've been trying to run "older" games on it like Counter-Strike:Source and Team Fortress 2, but I'm noticing the temperatures are getting high. The software monitoring system I'm using is saying it's high (bolded in red). CPU is reaching 60C, GPU is reaching 65C, Motherboard hovers around 55-60C.

There is only an exhaust fan and the fan from the PSU. The case has a side vent with a "tunnel" that extends toward the CPU area. I don't know what case it is. Here are the rest of the specs:

Core 2 Duo E6600 (not overclocked)
Intel Motherboard DP965LT
GeForce 7950GT
PSU 430W

Is there anything I can do to keep my case cooler? The ambient temperature inside my room isn't helping since I don't have airconditioning, so it's usually around 30C/85F inside my room.

I've only started worrying about the temperature inside the case after discovering these software monitoring tools, should I be worried? If not, great. If I should be, what can I do to alleviate the temperatures? I'm not technically savvy at doing anything with thermal paste or soldering.
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 12:16:40 AM

Hi there,

Whats the monitoring software?
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 12:19:13 AM

Check for the dust on CPU cooler fan and on PSU. Its not like that, is it?

m
l
Related resources
a c 121 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 12:21:46 AM

The best thing you can do usually is to install front intake fans if there are any non-populated fan mounts there and the case has actual intake holes/duct to let those fans draw fresh air from outside.

60C CPU and 65C GPU presumably under load and with stock HSF is perfectly fine. 60C motherboard temperature seems a bit odd so that sensor might not be monitoring what you think it is.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:08:59 AM

nikorr said:
Hi there,
Whats the monitoring software?

I'm checking out a program called HWMonitor. I checked the fans and they don't look like the picture you posted. It's not pristine, but the dust doesn't look like that. Most of it blew off when I used a blower to get the dust off inside the case.
m
l
July 21, 2012 1:11:56 AM

InvalidError said:
The best thing you can do usually is to install front intake fans if there are any non-populated fan mounts there and the case has actual intake holes/duct to let those fans draw fresh air from outside.

60C CPU and 65C GPU presumably under load and with stock HSF is perfectly fine. 60C motherboard temperature seems a bit odd so that sensor might not be monitoring what you think it is.

Yes, it's under load, those are the temperatures I get when playing games. It's usally not at the same time, it's either 60C CPU and 65C GPU, or 60C Motherboard and ~60C GPU, but I'm not positive that it hasn't been all three. I have no idea how to check if the software is doing what it's doing. I just found it and was curious about it so I checked it out, and now it's got me looking at it all the time.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 1:12:02 AM

HW monitor is good.

If it looked inside like the one in the picture, it would be bad : )

But when u see dust there, it most likely does keep the temps higher.

Can of compressed air would clean it nicely. I would also remove the fan and than blow the air on it.

There is always more than u can see.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 1:14:17 AM

Also, u can blow in the PSU, of course when all is off and unplugged.

It should knock the temp down some too, if its dirt inside.

Fans are dust collectors : )
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 1:16:28 AM

"I'm not technically savvy at doing anything with thermal paste or soldering."

Not with soldering, no. Thermal paste could help, but it is not your issue.
m
l
!