Computer won't boot at first, will after 2nd try?

jcz21

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hi, got a custom PC it has been running windows 7 which was working fine for months, but now when I try to turn it on in the mornings the fans comes on, but the system won't boot (no beeping, monitor is blank). If I turn it off and wait between tries, the next time I press power the computer starts up normally, and will run flawlessly all day.

The thing is that once the computer is running, I can restart/shutdown no problem and works fine. It only refuses to boot properly after it has been shut down for more than 7-8+ hours.

I'm not sure what the problem might be but I'm guessing i need to replace my PSU.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this? Thanks!

system specs are

Operating System: Windows 7
BIOS: BIOS Date: 09/14/09 21:21:31 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
PSU: Corsair 650w

BKD

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I ran into a problem like this with a new build here. I have a KVM switch and it appears that the new system was not liking that, unless I had another system on the switch. I disabled halt on errors in the bios, set that to none, and now it's working normally. Anyone else with this issue might look at that bios setting and at the keyboard, mouse and video setup in general.

Thanks all.

Be real, be sober.

Update; Wrong, didn't work, jumped the gun. I made two changes and made a wrong assumption -also turned off keyboard start which is what stopped the problem.

I want keyboard start, so I added a power brick to my KVM and have it working with keyboard start now This is an issue with too much power being pulled by the KVM as the system powers, for me, I guess.

Thanks.

Fitz_24

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012

Fitz_24

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
No solution here; but I'm experiencing the very same problem with a custom built desktop that was given to me without OP install. I installed Win 7 - no problem booting, but ran very slowly. So I upgraded Win 8.1 and that's where the booting problem started, but OK once booted and runs faster than when win7 was installed.