Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Review my major Components

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 5:58:33 AM

Hi my name is preston I'm 14 and I'm almost done building my first PC :) 

SO if you could review these major components it would be great :) 

PSU: Corsair CX430 (430w) PSU 28 amps on single 12V rail

Motherboard: Asus M4A87TD Evo motherboard

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 AM3 3.4ghz Processor

I will be installing the CM Hyper 212 plus onto the CPU so that too please :) 

My Graphics Card Is the Dell Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTX (It has a loud fan) is that normal before post?

Hard drive: Seagate Barracuda 250gb 7200.11 8mb SATA II 3gb/s

Now for the RAM: G-skill Ripjaws X 4gb 2gx2 Dual Channel 1333mhz
PC3-10666

So that is the main components I'm building my PC with. I'm Putting it into a Cooler Master Elite 430 Mid ATX case with 8 Fans in total: all 120mm (Except one 140mm on front) all of them are 19DBA. I have everything installed except the CPU and HSF waiting for CPU to come in the mail. This build ran me 380$.

Are there any Obvious bottlenecks?

This build will be used for gaming Starcraft 2 and League of legends and
Skyrim.

For reference Case fans are: Rosewill RCA-1024BK Qty: 3] Stock fans came with case and HSF 2 120mm fans (Silent)] 140mm CM essentials 1,00 RPM Blue led fan. Qty. 1[ Cooler Master Sickle flow 120mm Blue led fan. Scythe 12mm 19DBA case fan 120mm.

If your interested Keybaord Saitek Eclipse II Mouse Blue LED gaming mouse form china LOL.

Monitor: Dell P1130

The case I picked has terrific airflow :)  and the HSF is fantastic for cooling. :) 

Loudest thing in my system is video card.

SO thats the components see if I did ok for my first build on a budget. at the age of 14 (nearly 15) :pt1cable: 

April 8, 2012 8:21:47 AM

If you have already bought all the parts ... then its too late to ask for our collective opinion. You have to live with your choices :-)

Is the 8800GTX repurposed from an old Dell? It will be the hottest, most power hungry part of this built, but then again.. if its running a truly ancient CRT monitor (1024 x 768?)... than it shouldn't bottleneck too much. The only limitation is that I think it is probably a DirectX 9 card? Not sure because Dell often changes the manufacturer models.

Overall it looks like a good use of your money. I'd say the monitor is the next step -- you wont be able to appreciate the newer PC until you have a real monitor.
m
l
April 8, 2012 8:57:13 AM

I got the 8800 off a XPS 710 768mb GDDR3 memeory comparable to radeon hd 5770. DX 10 full support. The dll monitor is a BOSS. 2048x1536 85hz.!!!! 20" its vert high ejd for a crt but i will upgrade later. The video card is LOUD!!! Any ways to slow it down??? With 10 case fans in there it is really quiet the GPU sounds like a boeing -747 !!!! . And the crt IS amazingfor pciture and excellet for gaming. Once i get CPU i cab test my build. I expect 25-30c idle for cpu wuth that HSF. And 6 case fans 2 cpu fans 1 GPU fan 1 PSU fan. Should I get a fan controller and buy a aftermarket HSF for my GPU that wy I could hae an ultimate silent PC. And if I do say so myself the whole sustem looks great I even did a good job cable manageing. :)  :)  :) . So I'm positive tuis can run starcraft 2 with windows 7 ultimate 64bit. And then if I upgrade GPU to hd 6850 and 4gb of ram. Killer gaming machine. :) . So I need o save up 150$ better get started.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

April 8, 2012 9:23:41 AM

Wow, didn't know resolution on CRT.

Yep. That sounds about right, a 8800GTX should be similar to a newer 5770 in performance, just a hell of a lot noisier and higher power draw and heat. (BTW - your Corsair 430 doesn't have a huge amount of wiggle room here on power. I would be careful about any serious overclocking, etc)

Do you have proper driver support for the video card? Fan speed is usually controlled by the ATI/Nvidia control software ... I'm not sure what you would use with a dell branded card. Without software it might just run at a default 100%. Perhaps look around nvidia or another 8800 GTX vendor and see if you can find drivers that work.
April 15, 2012 1:15:08 AM

Best answer selected by pdizzle.
m
l
!