Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my i5 3570k bottleneck 2-way SLI gtx 680s?

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2012 3:46:24 AM

Hey guys,

Pretty straightforward question. I'm planning on purchasing 2 gtx 680s to install in my new gaming rig, but I'm worried that an i5 3570k -- even if it *is* overclocked -- will bottleneck the power of my video cards. Would it be worth it to purchase an i7 3770k?

Anyone have any experience with this? Primary usage will obviously be hardcore / intense gaming.

Thanks.

Best solution

a c 283 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 3:49:23 AM

Probably not, even at stock speed, but you can always OC it if you find that it does. And the 3770K wouldn't be any better. HT wouldn't help a bit in that situation.
July 21, 2012 3:53:04 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Probably not, even at stock speed, but you can always OC it if you find that it does. And the 3770K wouldn't be any better. HT wouldn't help a bit in that situation.

Do you think that HT will become relevant / utilized by games 2 or 3 years from now? Even while there's no such thing as future proofing, I'd still like to be able to hold off for the next tock and 2 more ticks before even looking for a new processor.
m
l
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 3:56:54 AM

I'm guessing not. I can't say that for absolute certain, but I just don't see it happening for quite some time.
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:11:56 AM

Best answer selected by Faux.
m
l
July 21, 2012 4:12:42 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I'm guessing not. I can't say that for absolute certain, but I just don't see it happening for quite some time.

Understood. Thanks much :) .
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 4:16:48 AM

You're welcome. :) 
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 4:26:10 AM

Apart from BF3, no other game on the market that I know of makes much meaningful use of more than two cores so I would not expect the average/median game to push quad-core CPUs remotely hard any time soon.

It took about eight years from the introduction of the first dual-core CPUs to get to the point where mainstream programs/games started making meaningful use of threading, it will take several more years for developers to get used to the added complexity of writing more finely threaded code to leverage more cores.

The biggest problem with games is that the control logic is intrinsically sequential in nature so meaningfully/successfully parallelizing it requires substantial extra effort.
m
l
!