Sign in with
Your question

Will this 212+ fit?

Last response: in Components
July 21, 2012 3:56:23 AM

I upgraded my cpu today to a 3.33 ghz core 2 duo processor and am idling at 46 and 48 and had a max of 73 recorded after playing guild wars 2 on max for about 15 minutes as a test (w/ gtx 550 ti 2gb). I used mx-4 compound for my thermal paste.

So basically I am a bit worried about the temps, (if these are ok I temps I would like to know as well - I won't ever overclock and I anticipate guild wars 2 to be the most resource heavy game I play for a couple years). I have poked around and keep seeing the name 212+ heatsink/fan but it looks HUGE in videos.

I am currently using the stock fan that came with my cpu/pc set up (E5200 2.5 ghz dual core before upgrade). My pc case is from the HP Pavilion a6620f. I have replaced everything in it except the mobo now - which is IPIBL-LB (Benicia), Micro-ATX: 24.5 cm (9.6 inches) x 24.5 cm (9.6 inches). There is a picture of my mobo in this link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01...

Any suggestions or direct answers would be greatly appreciated! I have tried measuring myself but I am not quite sure which dimensions are which and there is no specific landmark to measure from in the case. If all else I think I may just order one since its only 30 bucks.

More about : 212 fit

July 21, 2012 6:45:22 AM

this is a tough question to give a black and white answer too....what you can do besides buying it and trying to install it to see if it fits is you could measure from the top of your cpu to where the side panel of your case would be (even with the back edge of the pc) and if that measurment is bigger than 6.25 inches the 212+ will fit.....also something to think about is the height of your ram...is it normal height or does it have a large heatsink? if it has a large heatsink then you might have clearance issues...worst case scenario if you really want the cooler you could just not put the side panel back on.....the 212+ is a great cooler for the price i have built a couple of systems with it and it has never failed to give me great temps....this is assuming you are using the hp case still
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 4:10:05 PM

I have a C2D-E8400 overclocked to 3.4GHz at stock voltage using 212+ with the included CM mystery goo and HSF profile set to Quiet in BIOS. My CPU maxes out at 65C running Prime95 blend with ~32C room temperature.

(just to give you an idea of what to expect assuming it fits)

The 212+ is not only "huge in videos", it is on par with the other largest HSFs on the market and it is indeed a tight or no-fit in some cases and some motherboards or combined with some DIMMs.

As mentioned above, measure clearance from CPU to panel and check if you have the necessary height to fit it.
m
l
July 21, 2012 5:44:50 PM

I remember my brother's HP case couldn't support the 212+...about 2 inches stook out of the side of the case :lol: 

I'm not too sure about the 92MM version, though.
m
l
July 21, 2012 6:37:21 PM

Other possible options:
- leave the side panel off
- cut a hole in it to let the HSF stick out - I saw pics of someone who did exactly that and used metal spacers/brackets to re-attach the cut-out above the HSF
m
l
July 21, 2012 6:47:50 PM

InvalidError said:
Other possible options:
- leave the side panel off
- cut a hole in it to let the HSF stick out - I saw pics of someone who did exactly that and used metal spacers/brackets to re-attach the cut-out above the HSF

+1

I think leaving the side panel off wouldn't be a bad idea IMO. That's what we did for awhile until we got a new case (for around two months).
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:34:34 PM

I decided to go with the 101 from coolermaster. I saw in the newegg feedback someone with my mobo had it fit for them, (they also commented on how cramped the mobo's space is so i highly doubt the 212 would fit). I will make a cardboard cutout the dimensions of the 212 just to see if it would have fit when the new one comes.

Interestingly when I was tinkering yesterday I covered up all the empty slots on the back of my case with tinfoil so now the only openings in my case are perforated intake vents or exhaust fans and my GPU and CPU both dropped 5C under full load and the cpu went down to 40C idle. Holding a string up to the perforated vents I can see it sucking the string in and the exhaust pushing the string out. Proper case ventilation ftw!

I think I forgot to mention in my original post I am currently using the stock heatsink/fan that came with my 2.5ghz dual core with my upgraded 3.33ghz core 2 duo. I imagine the dinkly little heatsink/fan can't keep up.

Anyways thanks for the advice guys. My new favorite hardware site!
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:44:10 PM

lol good I am glad we could help you good luck with your pc coolermaster makes really good coolers so I have no doubt you will be satisfied with your purchase
m
l
July 21, 2012 8:59:55 PM

Personally, i think the tx3 would have been a better choice than the 101
m
l
!