CrossfireX 7970 and 7990

Status
Not open for further replies.

HatleyD

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
Good morning.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of February.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming on triple 1920*1080 monitors - The Old Republic / Deus Ex 3 / Skyrim / XCOM when it is out.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: None, new build. Will have 1500W Power Supply, so energy consumption will not be an issue.

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: i5-2500K processor on ASUS Maximus IV Extreme motherboard.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: No preference.

PARTS PREFERENCES: See below.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 3*1920x1080

Now, I know that this is pure speculation at this point, but based on your prior experience with 6xxx series, would you say the below is possible?

I'm building a new computer in the first week of March. My original plan was to go with ASUS Maximus IV Extreme mobo + GTX 590, and add another 590 in 7-8 months or so. However, with the new AMD cards coming out, I'm revising this idea.

My current plan is to purchase an 7970, and run it alone. Then, in a few months, purchase a 7990, and CrossfireX both. In about a year I would buy another 7990 and sell 7970.

What are the flaws in this plan? =) I'm sure I'm missing something. I know that with a single 7970 driving three screens I won't pull Ultra quality, but I'm OK with settling for less for a few months. Are there any other possible issues?

Solution
Sounds like a fair plan apart from the part where you sell your 7970 and go for quadfire... there just isnt the support for 4 GPU setups in games, check the benchmarks, in a lot of cases the games simply wont run or you'll hurt performance.

Trifire doesn't have as many issues and to be honest you would probably have enough graphics power in 2 x 7970 for triple monitor setup.

joedjnpc

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
Sounds like a fair plan apart from the part where you sell your 7970 and go for quadfire... there just isnt the support for 4 GPU setups in games, check the benchmarks, in a lot of cases the games simply wont run or you'll hurt performance.

Trifire doesn't have as many issues and to be honest you would probably have enough graphics power in 2 x 7970 for triple monitor setup.

Solution

HatleyD

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2012
As far as I understand (don't have a physical card in my hand yet), Maximus is spaced for 3 dual-slot cards max. Can someone who owns it please confirm or deny it?

Status
Not open for further replies.