customizing staratup for different users

October 30, 2004 10:25:02 AM

Hi
I am trying to get one user to NOT load any software installed on the
computer. So that the users account is empty and free of any background
processes an so on. I want to becuase I need every little bit of the
computers power for some special programs. Is it possible or should I get a
new computer and just install the programs there?
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 11:45:05 AM

Yes, you can certainly have a user that doesn't have anything listed in
the startup folder. If all your other user accounts have a lot of programs
loaded at startup, that can make a difference in apparent speed. You can
also set up different profiles, including hardware profiles that are chosen
when the computer is first booted, to improve speed. You might want to look
at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/xpprofiles.htm for some extra ideas on
those things if you need extra.
If you have a lot of extra money kicking around, and the "special
programs" you have are that important, you would probably be best off to get
a new computer to dedicate to them.... I certainly don't have the excess
cash, so I would go with the other route.

!