How much does it cost Canon to ship bad batteries & flash ..

Last response: in Digital Camera
June 16, 2005 8:47:42 PM

How much does it cost the camera manufacturer to ship the nearly
useless alkaline batteries and tiny flash cards with their cameras?

Case in point, I'm pricing cameras that have AA batteries and compact
flash cards and every camera I find comes with alkaline batteries and a
tiny compact flash card - both of which I'll likely not use.

If they offered the camera sans the alkaline batteries and 32 Mbyte
compact flash card ... would I save much money? Or is this a no op?
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:35:46 PM

About as much as it costed you to make this post.
Anonymous
June 16, 2005 9:46:10 PM

briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com wrote:
> About as much as it costed you to make this post.

I guess that's why they provide alkalines & tiny flash cards - but not
a camera case and a press badge to the next Bruce Springsteen concert!
:)

Are you saying if I can find a supplier who sells the camera sans the
alkalines and 32mb flash card, that it won't be any cheaper that way?
Related resources
June 17, 2005 1:43:22 AM

R. Zammataro wrote:

> How much does it cost the camera manufacturer to ship the nearly
> useless alkaline batteries and tiny flash cards with their cameras?
>
> Case in point, I'm pricing cameras that have AA batteries and compact
> flash cards and every camera I find comes with alkaline batteries and a
> tiny compact flash card - both of which I'll likely not use.
>
> If they offered the camera sans the alkaline batteries and 32 Mbyte
> compact flash card ... would I save much money? Or is this a no op?

Cameras in that price range wouldn't sell at all if you couldn't use them
out of the box. It's why dSLR's don't come with flash cards..
--

Stacey
Anonymous

"R. Zammataro" <zerr0coke@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> briansgooglegroupemail@yahoo.com wrote:
>> About as much as it costed you to make this post.
>
> I guess that's why they provide alkalines & tiny flash cards - but not
> a camera case and a press badge to the next Bruce Springsteen concert!
> :)
>
> Are you saying if I can find a supplier who sells the camera sans the
> alkalines and 32mb flash card, that it won't be any cheaper that way?

You'd save a whole2 dollars.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 5:22:56 AM

On 16 Jun 2005 16:47:42 -0700, R. Zammataro wrote:

> How much does it cost the camera manufacturer to ship the nearly
> useless alkaline batteries and tiny flash cards with their cameras?
>
> Case in point, I'm pricing cameras that have AA batteries and compact
> flash cards and every camera I find comes with alkaline batteries and a
> tiny compact flash card - both of which I'll likely not use.

I can get good alkaline AA batteries for about 20 cents each so
camera manufacturers (some even make their own) must pay quite a bit
less. If they didn't include batteries the price of the camera most
likely wouldn't change, but if it did, it would be by an extremely
trivial amount. The included alkalines may have been nearly useless
several years ago when most cameras were battery hogs, but the
camera I bought last December took over 600 pictures using the
alkalines that were packaged with it. A tiny flash card serves a
purpose. If the camera is a gift, the recipient can at least test
the camera and take a few pictures, even if the person providing the
gift didn't also include a larger flash card. If the camera is
defective, you'd know it right away and could return it immediately,
possibly saving a day, a week, or more. For example some people
could open the box, see that it includes no flash card, and might
put off getting one until it's convenient. That could present a
problem with some stores that only permit exchanges or refunds
within 7 or 10 days of purchase. In one case having the small card
made it very easy for me to return a camera for refund, since the
camera claimed to be "new and unused" wasn't. The card in the box
showed that it had been used, as evidenced by about a half dozen
pictures of store employees that were stored on it. :)
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 11:10:26 AM

> How much does it cost the camera manufacturer to ship the nearly
> useless alkaline batteries and tiny flash cards with their cameras?

About 10 times the actual postage costs if you use e-bay. Always check the
'postage' costs first and knock it off your bid.
Anonymous
June 17, 2005 3:41:09 PM

On 16 Jun 2005 16:47:42 -0700, "R. Zammataro" <zerr0coke@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>How much does it cost the camera manufacturer to ship the nearly
>useless alkaline batteries and tiny flash cards with their cameras?
>
>Case in point, I'm pricing cameras that have AA batteries and compact
>flash cards and every camera I find comes with alkaline batteries and a
>tiny compact flash card - both of which I'll likely not use.
>
>If they offered the camera sans the alkaline batteries and 32 Mbyte
>compact flash card ... would I save much money? Or is this a no op?

It's not the cost, it's the *why*.
The *why* is that it provides the buyer a way to check the camera
right out of the box to make sure it's not defective.
Otherwise, the camera would, in many instances, be stashed until the
owner got a round tuit for the batteries and card. That can be a long
time, as WalMart no longers carries round tuits.

--
Bill Funk
replace "g" with "a"

"ASAAR" <caught@22.com> wrote in message
>showed that it had been used, as evidenced by about a half dozen
> pictures of store employees that were stored on it. :)

Yawn.
Wake me up when you've finished your dissertation.
Anonymous
June 18, 2005 5:14:15 AM

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 20:51:37 +0100, Hannah wrote:

> Yawn.
> Wake me up when you've finished your dissertation.

BRRRrrrrrnnnnnng!!! Wake up. Time to get up H. Wipe the drool
off your mouth, get yer ass out of bed, and get ready for another
day of hard work, ferreting out trolls, looking for someone to
insult (preferably a "pro" whose equipment isn't as extensive as
yours) and . . . Oh, I truly am sorry. So you don't drool. But
wipe your mug anyway, lest it offend the horses and the squeamish.
!