Sign in with
Your question

CPU 4 Gaming

Last response: in CPUs
July 21, 2012 7:21:43 AM

Hi I am mostly a noob when it comes to hardware but I want to upgrade from my old core 2 duo computer to new one. It should be able to play dx11 games like skyrim, crysis, sc2 etc apart from the other regular uses for it like editing and recording videos, etc etc.

The other important criteria I have is longevity. That is, I don't want to upgrade the pc for a few years. So I am looking for a config that doesn't hurt my pockets too much but then is nice enough and lasts for some time to come.

Could you guys please suggest what processor I should go for. I saw Intels list of its processors here and I see that the best i5 processor -- i5-3570K (6M cache, 4 Cores, 4 Threads, 3.40 GHz, 22nm) is about 75 $ cheaper than the worst i7 one -- i7-2600. So I leaning more towards an i5 processor. I am guessing that any thing upwards of i5-2450P should be sufficient for the current crop of games but then how will it cope in the coming years? Also am I missing out on much by going for i5 instead of i7?

I think the motherboard required for an i5 would be cheaper than the one required for an i7 processor. Could you guys suggest which one I should go for and what I might be missing out on/gaining if I go for that one.

The next thing is ram and I dont even know whats the latest type of ram :)  is it dd3 or ddr4 or ddr6 or what? and how much of it should be sufficient.

The rest of the stuff needed for a pc like an HD, monitor etc I think I can decide on my own. But the above things confuse the hell out of me with so many different products being out there...

I made an account on Toms Hardware just to reasearch hardware for my new pc. Hope you guys help :) 

cheers!!

More about : cpu gaming

a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 8:01:28 AM

even an i3 is sufficient. But an i5 kills everithing in mather of games today, even the AMD FX familly does ... so basically its up to you if you go Sandy bridge (i5 2500/2500k) or Ivy Bridge (3570/3570k) or AMD FX (4xxx, 6xxx). Sandy Bridge overclocks easyer then Ivy, FX its slower then Sandy/Ivy but you wont notice that untill you run a benchmark... With the Intel setup you really dont have any difference if you use DDR3 1333Mhz or DDR 1600. You wont have any noticeable difference with the AMD setup aswell but people say AMD take more advantage of high speed RAM (again, noticeable in benchmarks)... With Ivy Bridge u get PCI-e 3.0 support (witch it helps alot if you compute with your GPU, otherwise there is no difference in games between PCI-e 2.0 and 3.0). What woulb be very visible in your every day use of your PC would be an SSD :) , a stronger GPU (if gamning its your main purpose of your PC).
So personally: a quad core its a must (AMD - min. FX 4170, Intel - min i5 2400 sandy), a strong GPU (min AMD Radeon 6950, GeForce gtx 560ti) its a must AND an SSD would be great :) 
m
l
Related resources
July 21, 2012 5:55:53 PM

I actually did some research after posting my question here and came across all of the cpus you mention crisan and I personally am tempted by the Amd fx 8150 because it has 8 cores and on paper it seemed to be equal to the i7 processors but cheaper compared to them? I browsed a few benchmarks where it was very near to the i7 processors in question (dont remember which exact ones) and was actually better in gaming benchmarks with a 6950 gpu on all of them.

So the question I have is would going for a fx 8150/8120 be better or going with something like i5 2550k or even i5-3450 would be better just because its Intel and even tho it has only 4 cores compared to fx's 8? (and Ivy bridge ofc). Also I am guessing that to take advantage of cool features like pci-e 3 & usb 3 I would have to get an equally expensive mobo with it? or will any basic mobo from asus/gigabyte with an lga1155 socket suffice? could you suggest a good but affordable mobo as well pls
m
l
a c 328 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 7:10:16 PM

The FX cpu's were a big disappointment for gamers.
Read this article on Tom's best gaming cpu's for the money July:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Unfortunately, there are no AMD winners at any price point.

For multi threaded high cpu usage apps, like editing, there is a case for the FX-8xxx chips, but not for gaming.

Any Z77 based motherboard will do. Pick your favorite brand, they are all good. No need for the expensive enthusiast versions.

For gaming, a 8gb kit of 2 x 4gb ddr3-1600 is plenty. No value in faster speeds on Intel.
Tead this: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-...
AMD needs faster ram..

For editing, 16gb is good.

But... Remember that gaming performance is mostly determined by the graphics card. My rule is, budget twice the cost of the cpu for your graphics card.
m
l
a b à CPUs
July 21, 2012 7:20:32 PM

ASrock z77 Extreme 3 or 4
i5 3570k
done :D 
m
l
a c 478 à CPUs
July 21, 2012 11:22:27 PM

rantingraj said:
I actually did some research after posting my question here and came across all of the cpus you mention crisan and I personally am tempted by the Amd fx 8150 because it has 8 cores and on paper it seemed to be equal to the i7 processors but cheaper compared to them? I browsed a few benchmarks where it was very near to the i7 processors in question (dont remember which exact ones) and was actually better in gaming benchmarks with a 6950 gpu on all of them.

So the question I have is would going for a fx 8150/8120 be better or going with something like i5 2550k or even i5-3450 would be better just because its Intel and even tho it has only 4 cores compared to fx's 8? (and Ivy bridge ofc). Also I am guessing that to take advantage of cool features like pci-e 3 & usb 3 I would have to get an equally expensive mobo with it? or will any basic mobo from asus/gigabyte with an lga1155 socket suffice? could you suggest a good but affordable mobo as well pls

The vast majority of games only use 2 cores. The number of games that can use 4 cores is tiny in comparison to that. There are no games that can use more than 4 cores. Therefore, if you decide to go with the FX-8150, then in the best case scenario only half of the cores will be wasted on games. If you do other things with your PC that can make use of all 8 cores like 3D rending and video encoding, then getting a FX-8150 would probably be worth it. However, of all the FX CPUs the FX-8120/8150 is probably the best ones to get especially if you are going to overclock.

Intel CPUs offers the best performance, but they are also more expensive. Then again, going with Intel you will probably be less likely to upgrade again sooner rather than later, thus saving you money in the long run. Between Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, I would probably choose IB because they fully support PCI-e 3.0 cards. Using a PCI-e 3.0 card with a SB CPU means the PCI-e 3.0 slot will be runningg at PCI-e 2.0 speed. Not a big deal yet since current graphic cards do not saturate the PCI-e 2.0 bandwidth. While IB CPUs do not overclock as well as SB CPUs, they are on average about 6% more powerful clock for clock. IB CPUs also consumes a little less power under load; about 16w - 20w.
m
l
July 22, 2012 4:50:07 PM

Thanks people for answering so many of my questions. I Think I am gonna settle on either i5-3550 or i3570k depending on how they cost locally for me. I have heard that these aren't good for OCing but I am assuming that it would still be possible to do it? Also will a mobo with an h77 chipset work for OCing or is a z77 chipset mobo a must?
m
l
a c 328 à CPUs
July 22, 2012 5:32:29 PM

rantingraj said:
Thanks people for answering so many of my questions. I Think I am gonna settle on either i5-3550 or i3570k depending on how they cost locally for me. I have heard that these aren't good for OCing but I am assuming that it would still be possible to do it? Also will a mobo with an h77 chipset work for OCing or is a z77 chipset mobo a must?

The 3550 can not be overclocked to any real extent; you require a "K" suffix chip to allow good overclocking.
The 3570K is a good chip for overclocking to reasonable levels. It is only the maximum overclockers pushing high voltages that have problems with heat.

Also, you will need a Z77 chipset, not a H77 chipset to overclock a "K".
m
l
!