Considering CPU/Mobo Upgrade

Kazul

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
Hey guys, currently I have:
AMD Phenom II X4 940
4 gigs ddr2
GTX 470

I run games at 1920 x 1080 and have been seeing on a lot of new games I'll run at a good - decent FPS with occasional skips in the frame rate. It seems that when running games only 50% or so of my video card gets use but almost all of my CPU (all 4 cores) are running at their cap. Because of this I have been considering an upgrade. I've been looking at upgrading to a AM3+ Mobo and grabbing either a Phenom II 965 x4 or a FX-4170 with 8 gigs of DDR3. So I am really just wondering if I will see a noticeable increase in performance from making this upgrade? I know a lot of people have also been saying no on the FX series but I hear as they release more updates for them, ect they may see an improvement, and currently both of these CPUs come at the same price, any thoughts? I also am well aware that Intel CPUs will offer better gaming performance but in most cases I've seen the prices are to high on Intel.

Thanks for any help guys.

Kazul

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Yeah it seems from that the difference would be very small, but looking at the I5 it's a bit out of my price range. While the upgrade in CPU power would be small would going from DDR2 1066 up to DDR3 1600-1866 be noticeable? Unfortunately on my current CPU overclocking would be a bad idea at least until I get an aftermarket cooler for it, it runs very hot, as we speak I am idling at 46°C.

Kazul

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

Alright I'll give overclocking a try first since the cooler at least won't go to waste. Should I consider buying another kit of my current ram to get 8 gigs?

Kazul

Distinguished
May 13, 2010

I am. Ram is really cheap so I'll give it a shot and see if that fixes my problem. Thanks a lot for the help rolli59.