Sign in with
Your question

Will this be an Effective Way of upgrading my system

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 11:15:06 AM

My computer is in a dire need of upgrades as it can barely run skyrim (because of it gpu being a 7600gs ) but its pentium D is running out of life and i would rather have a quad core would it be possible to upgrade it in stages like this?

1.Get new Case
Get 3570K hear the Intergrate gpus alot better
get 8gb ram
Get a new MB
Use sata HDs from old build
Get new DVD Drive (old one was IDE)
USe intergrated graphics (4000) for a bit how well do you think it will run most games?

Note i already have a unused version of WIN 7 64
Stage 2.
Get New PSU ( was looking at Corsair Memory TX850 V2 850W ATX Enthusiast Series)
Get New GPU ( was Looking at GTX 570)

On another note do u think its worth payin extra to get SLI iv generally stuck with nvidia but willing to change if Xfire leads to as good results.Next would 850 be enough to sli/Xfire 2 gpus
or do you think their would be a better method of upgrading it and how long do you think the build will last
Thanks for the help when it done i want it be be able to run games on high settings and maybe do some work in after effects.
April 8, 2012 11:48:17 AM

the hd4000 for gaming is still brutal, some games wont even run on it
you could use it for now, but certainly not well, or at all for skyrim
depending on the motherboard you choose you may be able to use your old dvd rom, though a new one only costs 20 bucks, so why not get it in stage 1?

this doesnt so much sound like an upgrade than a whole new computer
xfire has fantastic results, better than sli

if u dont have a dvd rom (i dont) you can still install windows using the dvd/usb tool from microsoft. it puts the iso of windows onto a usb stick. you then boot off the usb stick and install windows

you might want to use caution using an old psu on those shiney new parts
April 8, 2012 11:55:09 AM

neon neophyte said:
the hd4000 for gaming is still brutal, some games wont even run on it
you could use it for now, but certainly not well, or at all for skyrim
depending on the motherboard you choose you may be able to use your old dvd rom, though a new one only costs 20 bucks, so why not get it in stage 1?

this doesnt so much sound like an upgrade than a whole new computer
xfire has fantastic results, better than sli

if u dont have a dvd rom (i dont) you can still install windows using the dvd/usb tool from microsoft. it puts the iso of windows onto a usb stick. you then boot off the usb stick and install windows

you might want to use caution using an old psu on those shiney new parts

I Ment get all stage 1 parts together and all stage 2 together lol and it is more of a whole new computer tbh what is the equalivent of a 570 then cause sli put the mb price up quite alot thanks and i might wait to get a DVD rom drive then most the stuff i want to play i have bought on STeam and i might bump up the psu to stage 1 then :)  or do you think it will be better to get the GPU /psu first put it in this computer then buy the rest after
Related resources
April 8, 2012 12:06:46 PM

you could very well get away with using your old psu. what is it? pentium 4 is mighty old, probably safer to get a new psu with your new gpu

6970s are even with 570s but 6970s are no longer made so supplies are drying/dried up and prices might actually be a touch high to capitalize on people who want to crossfire with their old cards.

7870s are about even with 6970s and 570s, lil better actually. costs a touch more too, bout 30 bucks more or something. they use a newer/smaller process on the die, so, they use less power
April 8, 2012 7:00:31 PM

neon neophyte said:
you could very well get away with using your old psu. what is it? pentium 4 is mighty old, probably safer to get a new psu with your new gpu

6970s are even with 570s but 6970s are no longer made so supplies are drying/dried up and prices might actually be a touch high to capitalize on people who want to crossfire with their old cards.

7870s are about even with 6970s and 570s, lil better actually. costs a touch more too, bout 30 bucks more or something. they use a newer/smaller process on the die, so, they use less power

well i save quite a bit on MB so i would upgrade to that card :)  what case do you recommend and want it to look pretty cool but mainly have adequate cooling straight out the box and be a reasonable price
!