Sign in with
Your question

Would this kill a 750W power supply?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 11:50:39 AM

I helped out a friend of family... who said thir PC was overheating when daughter played SIMs and had "killed" 3 powers supplies.

When I got it.. it was dead... so I took a look. It was pretty horrific, somone had jammed a 4 pin motherboard power jack into the 6 pin PCI power jack

As you can see - its in upside down.. presumably to get the power lines in approximately the right place :o 

In addition - the way this 4 pin was powered was that both power lines were powered by splitting a single power line from a single "molex"... i.e.

Also - all the case fans etc were on the same Molex

It was all very strange - as there was a real 6pin PCI power jack avail, not plugged into anything

Anyway the fittled power supply was rated 750W (a cheap Alpine 750W red fan) so overpowered for the sys (ASUS MA478 pro with a inno3d GTX550 ti graphics card) but it had still been blown.

I put in a new 650W power supply and connected it up correctly.
It got warm and smelt a bit when I put it under load... but more of a "new power supply bedding in" kind of smell rather than a "burning"

All temps seem OK now - even under load and the ASUS PC prob is reporting good temps and voltages.
Putting it under as much load as poss in SIMS I got CPU to 53 C and case to 34 C but could not get it higher.
Graphics card seemed fine (did use HWmonitor... seemed ok)

The case is not great... designed for poor airflow :o  (front intake is prob a 92 but then is half covered if you have the front door closed!!!!)
and it was caked in dust - so a good clean helped out there.

Anyway - do you think I have identified the prob here with the dodgy connection? could that explain 3 x dead power supplies?

Any advice (reassurance ;)  ) appreciated.

Cheers

More about : kill 750w power supply

a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 12:08:54 PM

I suspect the 3 power supplies died because they are Alpine ones and the cheapest there is
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 12:08:54 PM

Most Likely yes problem solved. We had a guy come in here yesterday. Called his PSU old sparky and blew two power supplys. Me personally i think his Motherboard was fault for it blowing or he was trying to power too much on a small PSU. but different story. You should be fine. However unless you are going to get them a new case for the system to, the temps aren't going to change much but a good quality PSU is recommend by me everytime a new computer is made or purchased
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 87 ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 12:15:35 PM

WOW. Thanks for the photo. I think I'll be book marking this thread. I never would have believed if you didn't provide proof. The things people do.

If anything I would think it would cause issue for the GPU. However if they had the wires right it was probably just stressing the PSU to much. Assuming the 650W is of good enough quality it should be fine now.
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 12:17:30 PM

Yes I see it on here all the time, people try to plug cpu power into video card or vice versa.

What's amazing to me is that they actually fit, you would think they would make them different so you can't make a mistake.
a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
January 31, 2012 12:47:33 PM

geekapproved said:
Yes I see it on here all the time, people try to plug cpu power into video card or vice versa.

What's amazing to me is that they actually fit, you would think they would make them different so you can't make a mistake.

That's not a mistake, that's sheer, unbridled stupidity.
There's absolutely no way a 4 pin ATX connector fits into a 6 pin pcie connector unless jammed with excessive force.
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 7:02:45 PM

delluser1 said:
That's not a mistake, that's sheer, unbridled stupidity.
There's absolutely no way a 4 pin ATX connector fits into a 6 pin pcie connector unless jammed with excessive force.

If you do it the way they had done it (i.e. put the ATX on upside down... so the clip is on top - when the graphics card expects the clip on bottom)... its fairly close.
And gets the power lines in the place expected by the 6 pin PCIe

If you look at the 6 pin PCI... it expects (looking at the female socket)... R = rounded ..... S = Square you get

S R R
R R S

and the way they had it plugged in (per the Photo) the ATX is

- S R
- R S

So its just one pin out of being a perfect fit...

Enough resistance to make you think... "hang on.... 4 pin.... 6 pin.... it a bit stiff.... let me just check this".. you would have thought!!

But clearly not!! :o 
a c 175 U Graphics card
a c 87 ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 12:56:06 AM

As Dell said you'd need to use force because you are trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

What about the voltage/ground lines? Did they line up?
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 10:09:12 AM

4745454b said:
As Dell said you'd need to use force because you are trying to get a square peg into a round hole.

What about the voltage/ground lines? Did they line up?

Yes.. if you put it in upside down as I describe - the power and ground lines do "line up".

Cheers

a b U Graphics card
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 12:55:33 PM

yoji said:
Yes.. if you put it in upside down as I describe - the power and ground lines do "line up".

Cheers

They got the polarity correct, that's better than some who have come thru here lately.
They still took a dual molex to 4 pin ATX adapter, cut the clip off and forced the ATX connector into the pcie connector on the card when there was an available 6 pin pcie connector, sorry if they are friend's , that's just dumb.
a b U Graphics card
February 1, 2012 1:33:14 PM

delluser1 said:
They got the polarity correct, that's better than some who have come thru here lately.
They still took a dual molex to 4 pin ATX adapter, cut the clip off and forced the ATX connector into the pcie connector on the card when there was an available 6 pin pcie connector, sorry if they are friend's , that's just dumb.

Its not even Duel Molex... it was a single - with the single power line split into the 2 that the ATX was expecting (see my picture in my OP).. .and all the case fans etc on the same Molex!!

It was not the friends - they know nothing about computers... it was a "mate" who was "helping" them out!!!

I cant believe it was wrong when they bought it... so may be they unlucky with at least the first power failure... but it has been "professionally" fixed in the past (i.e. a shop), with the "mate" helping out the last time. So heaven knows when the bodge occured.

I originally was told it was a shop who fixed, which is why I took pictures - so they could take it back and have them "bang to rights" in terms of demanding a fix at no cost.
Only then was I told about the mate.

Anyway - I guess we will never got to the bottom of it.

Cheers
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
February 1, 2012 2:42:16 PM

That's pretty freakin weird! Who the hell would do that? You have two connectors, a 4 pin and a 6 pin. You want to plug something into a 6 pin. Oh I know! Use the 4 pin, flip it upside down, and use a small hammer! YEAH THAT'S HOW YOU DO IT!

I can sort of understand someone running everything off a single line because they might not realize the way the power gets split off in the PSU to keep amps down on individual circuitry, though that is also rather dumb.
!