Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgrading Advice

Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 5:52:17 PM

Hello,

Need some advise for a $250 budget to do a minor upgrade.

Here are my current specs:

AMD athlon x2 6400 3.2ghz black edition
550 gtx ti video card (on the way, just ordered online lol)
Antec Sonata III with earthwatts 500W PSU
Hitachi 500gb HDD
Creative gamer X-FI sound card
Asus m3a motherboard
4 gb G skill DD2 RAM

Now I don't want to spend a whole lot of money but figure I would do a minor upgrade due to getting some extra $$$ over the weekend.

I emailed my local computer guy who gave me this option:

AMD FX 4100 Processor (4x3.6GHz)
Asus M5A78L-M LX Motherboard (Socket AM3+)
Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory Kit

Would that be a good upgrade? Could I use my current case and PSU? Any help would be appreciated

And please remember I'm on a tight budget, and I know my system is not going to be a gaming beast etc.

Thanks!!

More about : upgrading advice

Best solution

April 8, 2012 11:00:25 PM

Hi, not sure I'd upgrade to an AMD FX 4100 system. "FX-4100 And Core i3-2100 Go Head-To-Head" http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4100-core-i3-210... check hierarchy table here for fx-4100 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-cpu-review-o... fx-4100 is only 2 tiers up from where you are now. Three tiers is recommended min upgrade in article.

Suggest you check performance with the new video card you ordered. You might find you have at least a little beast. IF the frame rate is good consider keeping cpu for another 6 months/year and a good gaming mouse, new monitor, good headset, etc. for the $250. Or play with an SSD drive (180-200GB for $250?). Or kick in a little more cash and get an i5-2400, MB and 4GB ddr3 memory. In 6 months or so we should see if AMD can fix up BD to be at least a mid-tier CPU. Today biggest AMD loses bigtime to intel in gaming. (not cause AMD is bad, but because intel sandy bridge processors are animals. )

April 9, 2012 1:01:16 AM

Thanks for the info tsnor!........hmm maybe I should hold off and save money for the i5......I have a great mouse monitor etc. SSD would be nice but doesn't fit into my budget right now....I will ponder it for a few days lol. Thx again!
m
l
April 10, 2012 2:16:22 PM

Best answer selected by iqubal.
m
l
!