Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Computer
  • Blue Screen
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 6:25:28 PM

I built my first computer awhile ago but it had BSOD from a defective ram. It took me awhile to figure it out but now instead of the BSOD, my computer just freezes, restarts after I click something and/or crashes. Do you think there are other parts causing this? Could it have the BSOD? I was going to replace the motherboard ,CPU and Power supply but i'm not sure if that's really causing the problem. Help please!

Specs:
Operating System: Win 7 Ultimate N

CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965

Mobo: MSI 870A-G54 3.0 USB

GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6850

PowerS: Raidmax Hybrid 630W ATX12V

Ram: G.Skill Ripjaws series (2 x 4GB) 1600

More about : built computer crashing alot

a c 118 B Homebuilt system
April 8, 2012 8:54:36 PM

Have you run Memtest86 on the RAM? I would do that.

Also, youre saying it freezes and restarts (without blue screen).. Your power supply bears all the tell-tale signs of a low quality, junk power supply. I'd say thats where the problem is, without actually playing with it myself.

The mobo doesn't have very good reviews on newegg it would seem.. What BIOS version does it have? I would flash it if its out of date.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 4:10:49 AM

I'm thinking you've got a compatibility problem. Look up the exact memory you ordered, it should be one of these three models for mobo compatibility (it won't be, none of these are 4GB)
F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
F3-12800CL8T-3GBHK
Here is a link to your motherboard's QVL - memory modules are separated by speed - 1600 speed is near the bottom of the list. Each number and letter must match exactly - if it does not, you will more than likely have (suprise) memory issues.
http://us.msi.com/file/test_report/TR10_2057.pdf
check it out, good luck
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
April 9, 2012 5:36:35 AM

which G.Skill memory? The default for DDR3 is 1.5V, but some of the G.Skill kinds take 1.6V. Most of the time these days with two sticks, the motherboard can figure it out on auto, but sometimes you get unlucky. If you do have the 1.6V kind, try setting the voltage and timings manually.
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:22:56 AM

C12Friedman said:
I'm thinking you've got a compatibility problem. Look up the exact memory you ordered, it should be one of these three models for mobo compatibility (it won't be, none of these are 4GB)
F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM
F3-12800CL8T-3GBHK
Here is a link to your motherboard's QVL - memory modules are separated by speed - 1600 speed is near the bottom of the list. Each number and letter must match exactly - if it does not, you will more than likely have (suprise) memory issues.
check it out, good luck

Ohh I see. Yeah, My ram does not seem to appear on the list. I have F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. Would that also cause the crashes (That arn't blue screens)?
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:31:05 AM

AzNDisaster said:
Ohh I see. Yeah, My ram does not seem to appear on the list. I have F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL. Would that also cause the crashes (That arn't blue screens)?

Not necessarily no. There are thousands of different brands, models capacities, clock speeds of RAM. You should see in the owner's manual a disclaimer that says something to the affect of what I just told you and "for those reasons, we cannot test all of them". Thats why I asked you to run memtest86, its possible that RAM is the cause, but not necessarily. Don't run out and buy new RAM yet.

Edit, Right at the top of the link sho'nuff thats what it says.

Run memtest86 overnight and see if you get any errors. If no errors are found, theres nothing wrong with your RAM.
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:33:40 AM

nekulturny said:
Not necessarily no. There are thousands of different brands, models capacities, clock speeds of RAM. You should see in the owner's manual a disclaimer that says something to the affect of what I just told you and "for those reasons, we cannot test all of them". Thats why I asked you to run memtest86, its possible that RAM is the cause, but not necessarily. Don't run out and buy new RAM yet.

I ran a memtest awhile back on both ram separately and it seems like only 1 was defective. Ohh and what PSU would you suggest?
m
l
April 9, 2012 6:39:13 AM

AzNDisaster said:
I ran a memtest on both ram separately and it seems like only 1 was defective. Ohh and what PSU would you suggest?

And you replaced the defective stick?

What do I suggest? A Corsair TX650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its expensive, but I have the 750 watt variant, I can vouch for its quality. But I would also suggest that you confirm the PSU is causing the problem before buying another. Do you have a known-good PSU from a friend you can try in your system?
m
l
April 9, 2012 7:13:19 AM

nekulturny said:
And you replaced the defective stick?

What do I suggest? A Corsair TX650 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Its expensive, but I have the 750 watt variant, I can vouch for its quality. But I would also suggest that you confirm the PSU is causing the problem before buying another. Do you have a known-good PSU from a friend you can try in your system?

I did not replace the stick. I just took out the defective one. I stopped getting BSOD for memory management but instead, it just crashes. It made me wonder if the constant BSOD might have affected other parts.
Unfortunately none of my friends has any usable PSU as their computer are pretty old.
m
l

Best solution

April 9, 2012 7:24:23 AM

In that case, I would buy the better PSU. But understand that this may or may not solve the problem. But I stand by my opinion that the PSU is low quality. In the future, look for PSUs that bare an 80+ Certification, and a decent warranty. These are probably the 2 simplest methods to identify a quality PSU.

The RAidmax PSU has only a 2 year warranty, vs a 5 year warranty on the Corsair. Better warranty, better built.

But as far as the computer simply powering off (no blue screen), it is very possible indeed an indication of a defective PSU, but it could also be other things including but not limited to the mobo and CPU. However, you have warranties on those, so you should be able to RMA those hassle-free if it comes to that.
April 9, 2012 7:33:00 AM

Just to give you a bit of a gameplan. If the PSU does not solve the problem. I would consider RMAing the motherboard, and seeing if you can exchange it with whom you bought it from for a better board. Looking thru the newegg reviews, the reviews are not very impressive for it.

Your first build might cost you a little more than you ended up bargaining for, but take it as a lesson learned for your next one (i made my mistakes with mine too)
m
l
April 10, 2012 4:34:43 AM

nekulturny said:
Just to give you a bit of a gameplan. If the PSU does not solve the problem. I would consider RMAing the motherboard, and seeing if you can exchange it with whom you bought it from for a better board. Looking thru the newegg reviews, the reviews are not very impressive for it.

Your first build might cost you a little more than you ended up bargaining for, but take it as a lesson learned for your next one (i made my mistakes with mine too)

Thanks for the tips. I will try to update my situation later on if anythings happen.
m
l
April 17, 2012 1:26:44 AM

Best answer selected by AzNDisaster.
m
l
!