Your question

Noisy cpu fan

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
April 8, 2012 7:15:10 PM

Hey, recently, the mobo fried in my family's desktop. I took it to futureshop where it was still under warranty. After a couple of weeks, i picked it up again. Seemed to be running fine, until i heard the fan speed up to jet-engine noise levels. It doesn't do it constantly, but there doesn't seem to be any pattern. Could they have forgotten to put thermal paste on or something? I don't really trust Futureshop that much and i'll probably be taking it back in but i would like to know what's wrong

More about : noisy cpu fan

April 8, 2012 9:27:40 PM

I think it could be the stock CPU fan. It's stock right? One thing you could probably do is have them recommend an aftermarket one for you. One way of checking to see if they forgot to add thermal paste is to monitor your temperatures during idle and heavy loads. If the temp is really really high, then they probably forgot the thermalpaste. What processor do you have? If you don't trust Futureshop that much, then I could recommend one to you instead.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2012 10:48:24 PM

Hi, From the title of the post you've already opened the case and made sure was the CPU fan spinning, not the CDROM spinning up (anti-virus does that, power sttign tell CD to go 'normal' or 'max') or some other fan.

Download your choice of temp monitoring programs. I like CPU-Z (cpuid, google it) and also their HW monitor and allso REALTEMP (google it). See how how your CPU is getting. Compare your CPU temp to other's posted temps with the same CPU.

There is a FAN PROFILE that tells the system how fast to spool up the CPU fan. (There is also a profile for video card fan). Some builders like to get loud and cool. Others like to keep things hot and quiet. If your temps are OK and the fan is noisy then adjust the fan profile. If your temps are bad then find out why, e.g. the person swapping your MB did something dumb like removing the cooler from the CPU and then reattaching without applying new thermal paste....

get the temperature of your
m
l
Related resources
a c 185 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 11:14:03 PM

I advise you to get a new cooler if that's the issue. You can get much quieter CPU coolers for as little as $20.

Example:
1) go to NCIX (the Canadian site is better organized, even if you don't buy there)
2) review coolers. Hypermaster 212 plus is an incredible value:
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=41337&vpn=RR-B10-212P-...

3) install it
4) check the BIOS to make sure it's configured properly (may need "voltage" not "auto" for example)

Some motherboards have software that can control the fan profile. For example, my CPU fan runs at 20% at idle to cool my CPU to 35degC. Once it hits 40degC it ramps up linearly by temperature.
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 11:17:54 PM

run a CPU stress application like Prime95 and you should hear/see your CPU fan increase if the fan control is setup properly.

When CPU fan control is NOT setup properly it does not change the speed. It sounds to me like maybe your CPU cooler isn't that great so the fan has to speed up a lot.

*Larger/better heatsinks can get rid of more heat without a fan so the fan's aren't as noisy. I have a Noctua with two fans and I even stressed the CPU to 100% at stock speed of 2.8GHz with no fans running.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 9, 2012 12:22:46 AM

Aftermarket cooler is nice. But OP wants to know why his family PC, which never had fan noise before, after a MB swap, sometimes gets fan noise.

m
l
!