Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 or SAPPHIRE 100315L?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
January 31, 2012 5:54:25 PM

I'm doing my first build, and I've got my list pretty refined( not quite set on the exact case or GPU yet)
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
and it was suggested to use th Sapphire 100315L
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
for my needs....which doesn't consist of gaming.
Then, another friend is pushing for me to use the ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Anyone know which one is better, or at least some opinions? My friend is an NVIDEA fan, and says the "catalyst software" you have to install with the Sapphire sucks.....or, he just doesn't like it. I hear good things about NVIDEA, but I simply don't know. I'm going from a 10 year old Dell Dimension 4400 to this stuff, so it's all pretty foreign. Any and all input greatly appreciated. Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 7:14:54 PM

Uhm the 6850 will eat a 550ti alive. If you want to go Nvidia and game, don't go below a 560.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 7:27:29 PM

Vettedude said:
Uhm the 6850 will eat a 550ti alive. If you want to go Nvidia and game, don't go below a 560 or 560ti.

Thanks for the reply!
I'm not a gamer at all. Like I said, my main concern will be video stuff....a card that can support 1080p, HD video and whatnot. Can't say I'll never play a game, but most likely not. I want a little more than I need, and I was told the 6850 would be perfect for my needs. But I have a friend that is a NVIDEA fan who suggested the 550ti, and I was assuming it was in the same category as the 6850, as far as performance, because he knows I already have the 6850 selected. He said he doesn't like the catalyst software you have to install with the 6850, but that's his opinion. So I'm basically considering an NVIDEA comparable card, more or less.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 31, 2012 7:36:27 PM

If you don't plan on gaming heavily I would look at some cheaper options. Those cards would be overkill for just watching 1080p videos.

I game heavily as well as watch plenty of 1080p and I only have a 4850 that cost me 70$ two years ago and has been the best card I have had in a long time. I would go for something sub ~100$ if I were you.

Newegg currently has a 6770 for 80$ after a rebate as a daily deal and I can't speak about its performance since I don't have one but I am sure it would be more than adequate for your needs. You could also go even cheaper than that IMO.

As far as nvidia vs amd, I have had both over the past 12 years and have never had issues with either. Your friend may not like amd's ccc but for the average user there isn't a need to even open it.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 7:51:10 PM

ronalddregan said:
If you don't plan on gaming heavily I would look at some cheaper options. Those cards would be overkill for just watching 1080p videos.

I game heavily as well as watch plenty of 1080p and I only have a 4850 that cost me 70$ two years ago and has been the best card I have had in a long time. I would go for something sub ~100$ if I were you.

Newegg currently has a 6770 for 80$ after a rebate as a daily deal and I can't speak about its performance since I don't have one but I am sure it would be more than adequate for your needs. You could also go even cheaper than that IMO.

As far as nvidia vs amd, I have had both over the past 12 years and have never had issues with either. Your friend may not like amd's ccc but for the average user there isn't a need to even open it.

Thank you as well for the reply!

Yeah, I have the person that helped me put the build list together really pushing for that card, just so I have a little extra, which I don't mind, and then I have the NVIDEA fan pushing for the other card.....both being overkill, which isn't so much of a concern as just reliability and whatnot. I will check out that 6770 you mentioned, because I know the one person is pushing for higher performance in case I change my mind about playing a game here and there.

It sounds like between the two cards I posted about, it's kind of a coin toss, yes? My other friend(the NVIDEA fan) did say I probably would never even have to use that software. Both of those cards are decent deals right now with the rebates, and those deals end tonight at midnight, that's why I'm double checking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
January 31, 2012 8:21:17 PM

Catalyst isn't bad. I've owned both brands of cards, its really preference. Nowadays I prefer AMD because their performance/watt is usually better. Since the prices are about the same, I'd recommend a 6850 in this case. Extra performance for similar price is always good in my book :) 
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 8:33:36 PM

Since you probably won't notice any difference in performance between the two I would go with the 550 since it is the cheaper option. Save a couple bucks since there is no need to pay more for nothing.
m
0
l
January 31, 2012 9:19:21 PM

Well, I thank you both for your input! Now I'm just as confused as when I made the post, lol!
Just kidding......sounds like almost a coin toss, really. I can't lose with either one, and they're both overkill, sounds like. Not that it's a bad thing, to a degree. Who knows what will happen to me after this first build!
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 1:10:11 AM

soulweeper said:
We, I thank you both for your input! Now I'm just as confused as when I made the post, lol!
Just kidding......sounds like almost a coin toss, really. I can't lose with either one, and they're both overkill, sounds like. Not that it's a bad thing, to a degree. Who knows what will happen to me after this first build!



Your first build can always be a little daunting, especially nowadays with all the options there are. I remember my first build when there were very few options, such a loooooong time ago. Either one of those will be more than fine, like I said before go for the cheapest and the money you save there can be put into another component. Good luck!
m
0
l
February 1, 2012 2:24:42 AM

ronalddregan said:
Your first build can always be a little daunting, especially nowadays with all the options there are. I remember my first build when there were very few options, such a loooooong time ago. Either one of those will be more than fine, like I said before go for the cheapest and the money you save there can be put into another component. Good luck!

Thanks! Yeah, I've learned quite bit the last few days, and I haven't scratched the surface. You're right though.....it is overwhelming with all the options...........and my OCD has been kicking in on top of it all. It will be very rewarding to build this....I like the challenge.
m
0
l
February 2, 2012 5:38:38 PM

O.k......haven't pulled the trigger just yet on the Sapphire
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
but on the ASUS, there are two that are almost identical, with slightly different model numbers
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this one(even though it's out of stock.....Amazon has both)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and the only difference I see, along with the $20 price difference, is that the first one says
Core clock - 910MHz
Shader clock - 1820MHz

and the second one says
Core clock - 975MHz
Shader clock - 1950MHz


what does that mean, in simple terms.....anything I'd care about, or notice?

Should I just get the ASUS(the first one?) $110 out the door from Amazon, after rebate.
m
0
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 5:47:13 PM

Honestly bang for your buck, as a non gamer who *might* play a game now and then, a 6770 (or 5770) is a fantastic card to get. The 6790 is pretty good as well, it is comparable to the 550Ti. The 6850 is a tier higher and will allow 1080p gaming at medium/high settings for most games.

This 6790 is only $120 after mail in rebate, and XFX has great warranties:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
!